Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #81
junior
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
To keep using that example, I have not been following Carolina. If Semin was doing badly this year, I would ask why. If fans who follow Carolina tell me that he looks slow, out of shape and a step behind everyone, I would probably end it there. It appears you, however, would start making posts claiming that Kirk Muller needs to go since he is wrecking Semin's game, ignoring all the information that people are taking their time in explaining to you.

As for your question: "If Ferland is playing in the WHL what good would watching the Heat do when discussing why he couldn't play on the Heat?" Not sure if you are really serious about that question, but here is your answer:

If you had watched the Heat, you would have known what I and almost every other poster that commented on what he or she saw - Ferland looked out of place. He came to camp out of shape, and Ward made him do extra scrimmages and worked him harder. He just never got to a place where he was keeping up. He had 'ok' games where he didn't look TOO bad, but others where he just wasn't keeping up at all. If you had watched the Heat play, you would have seen this. But you didn't, and you just choose to ignore everything that has been written about Ferland thus far from firsthand accounts, and instead keep insinuating that Ward is horrible.

If you don't watch the Heat games and keep up with the development of the prospects, then how could you possibly know if the Flames' development program was good or bad? Perhaps it is scouting? Perhaps it is just bad luck? Unless you actually follow them, how could you have an opinion that isn't just conjured up to fit with your shtick on these forums? There are still a heck of a lot of other prospects on that Heat team, and it is probably a good idea to start watching them if you really want to make comments and beat the drum for someone getting fired.

Had you stated that you watched the Heat, and think that Ward is the wrong guy for the job for 'x' reasons, I would listen to them. You may even change my mind. However, don't expect to gain an audience when you come here and use an argument like: "I haven't seen the Heat, but Ward sucks". This is the essence to your argument. You have posted a number of these anti-Ward comments in the FOI forum, and never once did I even think until now you didn't watch a game. Good job
So can you name some prospects that have excelled in Abbotsford?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #82
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
So can you name some prospects that have excelled in Abbotsford?
Brodie, Baertschi, Horak, Street, Breen, Taylor
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #83
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lots of positives and coverage of Ferland in the latest episode of Road To Memorial Cup
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #84
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPepper1 View Post
Lots of positives and coverage of Ferland in the latest episode of Road To Memorial Cup
Yeah really good episode with lots of coverage on Ferland. Sounds like he has been quite the leader and was a huge part of the win streak they had.

Really hope he gets back on track next season. We really could use a big power forward like him in the organization.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #85
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

have been watching too ...

where do you guys see this guy? Love the size and brute hostility in his game, but will he fail on foot speed and brain speed?

Guessing he's not destined for a top line powerforward role but will he play?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #86
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think he looks like a slightly better Frazer McClaren/bigger Tim Jackman.

Probably not the comparison people want but basically a tough guy that can play a regular shift (10 mins a night) in the NHL without being a liabilty, crash and bang, fight when needed and score 5-8 goals a year crashing the net.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #87
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a year old article from Kent Wilson.

Quote:
Whenever I reach out to WHL scouts, Ferland is the type of prospect who they come at me with "fourth-liner at best". However, whenever I've seen him in the WHL, or in this instance at the rookie camps, he shows flashes of something beyond that in terms of skills and sense that make me think that while he may not be a top-six player, there's certainly something to this player beyond just intangibles.
Quote:
Taken together, the picture one gets of Ferland is a third liner whose upside is somewhere between Lance Bouma and Max Reinhart. If he can maintain some measure of his offensive acumen while continuing to do the things that got him drafted in the first place, Ferland may become a useful bottom-end guy for Calgary down the road.
I don't know what the problem this year was, maybe conditioning, maybe his head space or maybe he just lacked the skills and development to be ready for the pros.

http://flamesnation.ca/2012/6/11/fla...ichael-ferland
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #88
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

Probably not the comparison people want but basically a tough guy that can play a regular shift (10 mins a night) in the NHL without being a liabilty, crash and bang, fight when needed and score 5-8 goals a year crashing the net.
Being a serviceable 4th liner and NHL regular would be a pretty good fate for a 5th rounder
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #89
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
bigger Tim Jackman? According to the Flames website Ferland is 6'0, 195lbs, Jackman is 6'2, 225lbs. Ferland is not bigger than Jackman and it is very unlikely he ever will be.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #90
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
bigger Tim Jackman? Ferland is 6'0, 195lbs, Jackman is 6'2, 225lbs. Ferland is not bigger than Jackman and it is very unlikely he ever will be.
I don't know where you got those numbers, but watching him in Saskatoon this year he is much bigger than 195, which would be about Iginla size. Don't know if I saw a guy that was bigger than him in any of the games I watched
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #91
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
bigger Tim Jackman? According to the Flames website Ferland is 6'0, 195lbs, Jackman is 6'2, 225lbs. Ferland is not bigger than Jackman and it is very unlikely he ever will be.
I used Hockeydb that had him listed at 6'1 225 lbs. and Jackman at 215 lbs.

Saskatoon lists him as 6'2 215 which is probably more accurate so I guess he can be a Tim Jackman type then not bigger as hockeydb was wrong.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #92
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
I don't know where you got those numbers, but watching him in Saskatoon this year he is much bigger than 195, which would be about Iginla size. Don't know if I saw a guy that was bigger than him in any of the games I watched
I got that from his profile on the Flames website.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #93
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got that from his profile on the Flames website.
Ya so he probably just kept getting bigger throughout the year, those numbers are probably from summer camp last year.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #94
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Ya so he probably just kept getting bigger throughout the year, those numbers are probably from summer camp last year.
Knowing how often the Flames update their player profiles, it was probably when he was drafted or when he first played in Brandon. I find the best physical stats are from their junior teams.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #95
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds pretty good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #96
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It does to me as well but I have read people talking top 6 and Milan Lucic and with the hype some prospects get here I thought people might get upset.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #97
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ferland was definitely over 200, if anything I think he could stand to shed a few pounds to pick up some foot speed.

He looked great playing for the Blades, he was the toughest guy in the corners every game, laid huge hits and was always an offensive threat. A step ahead in the WHL, but a step behind in the AHL. I think from what I have read a lot of his struggles in the AHL were from band conditioning and confidence. Well his confidence should be high again and I know that he was working really hard on his conditioning with the Blades.. so if he can correct those two things for next year then maybe we will see him with a regular shift.

Still to many question marks to gauge if he is NHL caliber though IMO, will need to wait and see how his summer goes.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 05-05-2013 at 08:57 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #98
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I'd love to see that, but I expect more Akim Aliu. And I mean the Akim Aliu that struggles to be an AHL regular, not the one that Feaster overrates and calls up to the NHL.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #99
FanningTheFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What's up with his legal troubles? Not being able to cross the border would have a significant impact on his future.
FanningTheFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #100
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanningTheFlames View Post
What's up with his legal troubles? Not being able to cross the border would have a significant impact on his future.
I don't think anything has been done yet. But he was assigned to Utah for a while so he is currently able to cross the border.