Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #2041
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever source said it should use the lower deck of the Centre St Bridge should have their brain checked.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #2042
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Then south of the river, you could have a subway station at Eau Claire and continue down into the Mission or something.
Mission? That would be a big change from the current plan - to turn at 10th Ave and become the SE LRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Why cant it have it's own bridge above the Bow, then go into the hillside? Isn't that cheaper than going under?
Because if the city uses the 2 St south of the Bow and Centre St north of the Bow alignment, the LRT would have to emerge in Prince's Island Park in order to go over the Bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wouldn't Edmonton Tr. be a better choice? Given that its close proximity to Centre St anyway, and could be routed into the Zoo Station.
You may want to look at a map. An Edmonton Trail LRT would have to veer away from downtown to route into Zoo Station.

Spoiler!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #2043
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
You may want to look at a map. An Edmonton Trail LRT would have to veer away from downtown to route into Zoo Station.
Oops. Don't know what I was smoking there. For some reason I seem to associate the zoo station with being closer to Edmonton Trail than it actually is.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #2044
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is ambition a bad thing?

There's only one right answer to the route. It's just a matter of how to make it happen.
Is it just that Centre St. extends further north?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #2045
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Mission? That would be a big change from the current plan - to turn at 10th Ave and become the SE LRT.
Yeah, I know that's not the route, just a little wishful thinking on my end (although I do think going down 10th through Inglewood is nice too).

I do think it some point it would be nice to put more focus on serving Beltline residents (ie, people who are living the most urban lives of anyone in Calgary) with better public transit, because they kind of get the shaft right now, as all the focus is always on commuting. Having a spur subway line that cuts south down 4th St would quite fantastic. That and put a nice street car ring-route around the inner city, keep putting in more bike lanes, and we're gravy!

I know it all costs major $$$, but hey, supposedly world-class city yada yada yada...
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #2046
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think both Edm Trail and Centre street has its merits

I can see Edmonton Trail having more redevelopment opportunities up until 16th ave.

If there was a way to go up Edmonton Trail then cross over to Centre (tunnelling) after 16th Ave that would probably be ideal.

I think Edm trail offers more opportunity until 16th Ave. After 16th then Centre offers more IMO
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #2047
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with mykalberta about the redevelopment opportunities on Edmonton Trail are pretty good, but I think a major issue is that it would be forced to have a sub-optimal downtown route if it goes that way. Going up 3rd, then center, is prime for Downtown commuter capture. Swinging east, means either an awkward turn in the alignment along the river, or using a less-optimal road, and splitting the downtown much further to the east, collecting fewer commuters - or forcing them to walk further.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #2048
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the Centre street alignment makes the most sense for interlining with the SE LRT, providing a usable north/south option through the core (Eau Claire to 10 Ave at least) and relieving the bus traffic on centre street. It is the best option in my opinion.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #2049
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I do think it some point it would be nice to put more focus on serving Beltline residents (ie, people who are living the most urban lives of anyone in Calgary) with better public transit, because they kind of get the shaft right now, as all the focus is always on commuting. Having a spur subway line that cuts south down 4th St would quite fantastic. That and put a nice street car ring-route around the inner city, keep putting in more bike lanes, and we're gravy!
Working on it. The better transit part anyway, if not those specifics right now.

Streetcars are longer term, and a spur subway line isn't really in the plans, but we are really pushing for better transit and may get it when the "Centre City Transit Improvements" project is done. Phase 1 (of 2) was approved this month and Phase 2 will happen this year. Could see some real solutions tailor-made for the Centre City following that. One of the most substantial recommendations in this study is transit-only lanes on 4th Street SW.

The rest of the routes are a little less decided at this point, but there's a couple of ciruclator type routes being looked at, as well as improvements to existing routes.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #2050
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's some station ridership numbers from the "West LRT One Year Review" report that was published in February (Link)

As expected, 69th Street and Westbrook Stations are the busiest on the line. There's a few other interesting tidbits in there.

Also, it appears I may have been wrong in a previous post on the timing of the introduction of 4 car train service. I am hearing that it may in fact wait until there is a critical mass of the order of new train cars in, which would make it late 2015. I had previously heard from a few sources that there may be limited 4 car service implemented when the platform extensions are completed in late 2014. Hopefully we'll hear something official on this before too long.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 PM   #2051
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Here's some station ridership numbers from the "West LRT One Year Review" report that was published in February (Link)

As expected, 69th Street and Westbrook Stations are the busiest on the line. There's a few other interesting tidbits in there.

Also, it appears I may have been wrong in a previous post on the timing of the introduction of 4 car train service. I am hearing that it may in fact wait until there is a critical mass of the order of new train cars in, which would make it late 2015. I had previously heard from a few sources that there may be limited 4 car service implemented when the platform extensions are completed in late 2014. Hopefully we'll hear something official on this before too long.
Good numbers.

Those 4 car trains are desperately needed for rush hour on the SE line - but I imagine it'd be better to wait than to overextend the aging fleet.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #2052
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting video about changes to the lighting system after the floods last year. The new LED light fixtures are water tight.

Quote:
Flood sheds new light on transit tunnels

The flood of 2013 caused extensive damage to Calgary Transit’s infrastructure. Tracks were damaged, signal equipment was waterlogged, seven traction power substations lost power and three tunnels were filled with water.
Removing millions of litres of water from the tunnels was no easy feat, and once the water was gone there was still plenty of repair work needed. Overhead wires, signals, help telephones and the lighting systems all needed to be replaced.

A new system of Nemalux LED lights was installed that will be able to withstand future flooding. The lighting fixtures are water tight (like the lights used in aquariums) so they won’t be damaged if another flood happens. Additionally, safety has been improved by increasing light quality inside the tunnels. The intensity of the light transitions as trains go in or out of tunnels, depending on the amount of natural light outside. For example, when a train enters a tunnel on a bright sunny afternoon, the lights gradually transition from brighter to dimmer, and vice versa when exiting the tunnel. This makes it easier on the driver’s eyes, and easier to spot any safety hazards. In the centre of the tunnel, the lights are set to a standard level of brightness to ensure maximum visibility and safety
http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/n...t-tunnels.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #2053
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

For those who might be interested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druh Farrell
The North Central LRT project team has narrowed their focus to the two LRT route options: Centre Street North and Edmonton Trail. Now we want you to tell us what you think. Learn more and help us make our next big decisions. Join us at these upcoming events:

Workshop Session
This workshop is for anyone who wants to develop a deeper understanding of the top two LRT route options, and discuss the impacts, challenges, and opportunities for each. Join with other community members to engage in lively conversation, explore the choices available and express your views about which route will work best for North Central communities.

The workshop is limited to 80 participants. Please RSVP to nclrt@calgary.ca.

Wednesday, April 23
6-8 p.m.
Huntington Hills Community Association- Curling lounge room
520 - 78 Avenue N.W.

Public Open Houses
These public open house events are for anyone interested in exploring the options for the North Central LRT line at their own pace. Check out the options, ask questions, and share your thoughts.

Tuesday, April 29
6-9 p.m.
Ascension of Our Lord School
509 Harvest Hills Drive NE

Wednesday, April 30
6-9p.m.
Thorncliffe Greenview Community
5600 Centre Street N
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #2054
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I go to 39th Ave LRT station every day and noticed this morning that construction is going to be done on the south end of the platform.

A cross walk has already been built and the area has been fenced off. I haven't seen any signs saying the station will be closed, so I am assuming the station will remain open during this time?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #2055
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm at 39th daily. I don't see why they would need to close it yet or even at all. If anything I see them closing 1 side maybe for weekends to do the harder work, but otherwise I think the station can remain open.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #2056
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druh Farrell View Post
The North Central LRT project team has narrowed their focus to the two LRT route options: Centre Street North and Edmonton Trail. Now we want you to tell us what you think. Learn more and help us make our next big decisions. Join us at these upcoming events:
I'm glad they got the route down to the ones that make sense. I guess now we get to see how good they want to make them, or if they will do the old cheap-out now, pay for it later, routine that Calgary is known for. Dig whatever tunnel you need, borrow the money you need, just do it right the first time please.

I still think Centre Street makes the most sense, but I would be pretty happy with Edmonton Trail as well, strictly for selfish reasons.

Last edited by Table 5; 04-09-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #2057
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the very least, tunnel it up to north of 16th avenue. Don't screw up a prime district by going to the 36th Street route, or having a elevated portion that functions as an aesthetic barrier.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #2058
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oldest CTrains dragging down Calgary Transit’s overall reliability

By Bryan Weismiller Metro

Calgary Transit is attempting to breathe life into its oldest — and most unreliable — light-rail cars as they cloud overall gains in dependability.

When it comes to reliability data over the past five years, the old-school CTrains (known in transit circles as Siemens U2s) are worsening while their successors are gradually improving.

CTrains racked up 61,000 kilometres between mechanical failures on average in 2013. The U2s, however, broke down more than two-and-a-half times as often than the newer trains per odometer click in what was a low-point over the past five years.

[...]

A city hall committee will be briefed next month on efforts to keep CTrains on the rails for longer stretches.

[...]

Fast facts:
  • The Siemens U2 cars recorded 165 mechanical failures in 2013 compared to 146 for the newer Siemens SD fleet that are used thrice as often.
  • In its current long-term plan, Calgary Transit planners hope to retire the U2s by 2020 at the latest. That replacement process starts six to nine months after the new-generation trains roll in late next year.

Link to full article
Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #2059
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

That order of 60 new cars needs to be doubled, probably.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #2060
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Almost tripled really. Full four car implementation plus the retirement of the remaining U2s will require 90+ additional LRVs.

I really think that the takeup will be fast on the additional capacity that the partial implementation of 4 car trains will provide.

The south line has been at effective rush hour capacity for quite some time and I suspect that there is a high rate of turnover with existing riders reaching a breaking point and finding alternatives when they can, leaving the train. At the same time you have people trying out the system with many of them giving up and only some staying for longer, taking the place of the people who have found alternatives.

So, as four car train implementation rolls out, all that happens is that more people who try the system end up staying on, which quickly fills up that extra capacity until it is full again. Certainly this factor has diminishing returns after awhile, but basically I think there's a pent up demand that the first phase of 4 car trains won't be able to satisfy. That's just my read on things.

After 4 car trains, relief won't come unless the SE transitway effectively divert some south line ridership to it, and the SE LRT after that. Long-term, the 8th Avenue Subway would do wonders. I think its importance will be evident after we see the takeup on 4 car trains.

Add to all this, of course, the continued reliability problems the remaining U2s will continue to present and I think it will be clear to an increasing number of people that there is a need to make these investments in transit in a timely manner

Last edited by frinkprof; 04-26-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings