Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who are the top-5 worst NHL teams this year?

This is my ranking from worst to not worst:

1) Colorado Avalanche
2) NJ Devils
3) Buffalo Sabres
4) Arizona Coyotes
5) Vancouver Canucks
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Colorados goal differential is hilarious.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado
Arizona
New Jersey
Vancouver
Dallas

Not really a debate. Those are the bottom 5 teams, not sure what the point of this thread is.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty crazy that Detroit is in that conversation. Didn't know if I'd ever see the day.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels so awkward, after so many years, that Leafs and Oilers are not in the mix.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) Colorado -Patrick Roy was a smart man, this team is a tire fire. Off to the worst regular season record in years. They are Oilers bad.

2) Arizona. -this team sucks and just cannot get traction going
3) Vancouver. -terrible depth and so-so team, cannot score
4) Dallas. -that goaltending and defence is cringeworthy, worst GA in the league

5) New Jersey - they usually don't score much but this year they were awful on the other side of the puck, maybe that Hall/Larsson deal hurt them more than we thought
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Pretty crazy that Detroit is in that conversation. Didn't know if I'd ever see the day.
Too young to remember the Dead Things?

They were doormats for 20 years before this great run started.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Colorado...AINEC.

2) Arizona. Yes, they are really that bad, but at least they have some youth coming. Can't score. Terrible defensively. Mediocre to bad goaltending. Tippett's style of coaching. Chayka losing trades on the regular. Not a recipe for success.
3) Detroit. How the mighty have fallen. Hanging on to the last years of Zetterberg. Poor defense group. Mediocre goaltending. A couple of intriguing forwards, but no game breakers...and then a LOT of filler. They're going to have it rough for a few years.
4) Vancouver. See above with hanging onto the Sedins last years. Low talent levels throughout the lineup. Miller has kept them in a lot of games they had no business being in, and he's going to be UFA this year. I don't see Markstrom stealing that many points for them. Little to no talent coming down the pipe. It's going to be a while for Vancouver as well.
5) New Jersey. Traded for scoring and STILL can't score to save their life. However, they have one of the best goalies in the game and play a strong defensive system. They will have $19 million in cap space to work with next year to acquire some scoring. If they get even league average offensive production, they'll likely be around the playoff picture next year. Pretty awful prospect base at the moment though.

Honorable mention: Dallas. A bit of a surprise? Sure. They have all that talent on paper, and they score their fair share of goals with it. However, they're the worst defensive team in the league, even worse than Colorado who has a shell of a team out there. Just a horrible defensive group, with forwards who have no idea where their own zone is, along with two below average goaltenders in Lehtonen and Niemi.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
1) Colorado...AINEC.

2) Arizona. Yes, they are really that bad, but at least they have some youth coming. Can't score. Terrible defensively. Mediocre to bad goaltending. Tippett's style of coaching. Chayka losing trades on the regular. Not a recipe for success.
3) Detroit. How the mighty have fallen. Hanging on to the last years of Zetterberg. Poor defense group. Mediocre goaltending. A couple of intriguing forwards, but no game breakers...and then a LOT of filler. They're going to have it rough for a few years.
4) Vancouver. See above with hanging onto the Sedins last years. Low talent levels throughout the lineup. Miller has kept them in a lot of games they had no business being in, and he's going to be UFA this year. I don't see Markstrom stealing that many points for them. Little to no talent coming down the pipe. It's going to be a while for Vancouver as well.
5) New Jersey. Traded for scoring and STILL can't score to save their life. However, they have one of the best goalies in the game and play a strong defensive system. They will have $19 million in cap space to work with next year to acquire some scoring. If they get even league average offensive production, they'll likely be around the playoff picture next year. Pretty awful prospect base at the moment though.

Honorable mention: Dallas. A bit of a surprise? Sure. They have all that talent on paper, and they score their fair share of goals with it. However, they're the worst defensive team in the league, even worse than Colorado who has a shell of a team out there. Just a horrible defensive group, with forwards who have no idea where their own zone is, along with two below average goaltenders in Lehtonen and Niemi.
The Devils have been pretty ####ty on the defensive side of the game this year too believe it or not.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
The Devils have been pretty ####ty on the defensive side of the game this year too believe it or not.
True. However, I'm willing to bet they'll acquire a better defenseman or two with all that cap space and get back to their old ways. They're 20th in GA this year while not playing well defensively as they normally do and relying on Andy Greene to be a #1 defenseman. I imagine they'll be higher in this regard next year. Not great, just better.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas is a team that was built with scoring in mind. Their defense has been weak for years. Jim Nill was considered the next big in the league, after being under Holland's helm for all those years, but he hasn't done much to fix up the goaltending or defense.

They have had their injuries though this year, which has not helped them much. They do have the biggest chance of a rebound for next year, when considering all the bottom teams this year, but not with the defense or goaltending they possess currently.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

26Dallas
27Vancouver
28New Jersey
29Arizona
30Colorado
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Also, I never factor in potential youth as a big as factor for the Coyotes as other teams on the rise. They've proven in the past that they will ditch a potential perennial playoff team/contender as soon the required salaries start to creep up to that of a normal team on the rise.

It's nice to look at all the names of recent big draft picks and prospects in the organization but they will get rid of some if they all start turning out and the rebuild begins again with maybe some brief playoff success in the meantime.

They are not a serious hockey organization.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #14
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Also, I never factor in potential youth as a big as factor for the Coyotes as other teams on the rise. They've proven in the past that they will ditch a potential perennial playoff team/contender as soon the required salaries start to creep up to that of a normal team on the rise.

It's nice to look at all the names of recent big draft picks and prospects in the organization but they will get rid of some if they all start turning out and the rebuild begins again with maybe some brief playoff success in the meantime.

They are not a serious hockey organization.
I agree with this post completely. This team hasn't had an issue of not developing prospects, unlike some teams who hang out in the bottom of the standing perrenially. They just are averse to keeping salaries due to budget issues. Till they become open to spending more, they are not going to be a contender.

If they don't compete, it is tough to bring in crowds. If crowds don't come in, it is tough to generate profits/revenue to become comfortable with spending more which will keep them stuck in the doldrums till they move or get an owner who okays spending more.

I see the Knights facing similar issues once the new shine dissappears withut them achieving success.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Who are the top-5 worst NHL teams this year?

Do you mean at playing hockey? ... Or is the fact that Edmonton and Vancouver franchises even exist a lock on 2 of the 5 slots?
Old 03-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
bcneil
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Dallas is the worst TEAM. Not worst in the standing obviously. However, based in their lineup on paper and last years performance, and this years expectations.....they are the worst team. Most of the other bottom dwellers are expected to be bad
bcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #17
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Dallas is a team that was built with scoring in mind. Their defense has been weak for years. Jim Nill was considered the next big in the league, after being under Holland's helm for all those years, but he hasn't done much to fix up the goaltending or defense.

They have had their injuries though this year, which has not helped them much. They do have the biggest chance of a rebound for next year, when considering all the bottom teams this year, but not with the defense or goaltending they possess currently.
I said it in the Dallas game thread the other day but Jim Nill got severely overrated by being in the Detroit organization. It's not that he wasn't a great hockey manager at various levels, or that he didn't contribute to Detroit's success.

It was the fact that as soon as his name came up as a potential GM, the media and fans didn't treat him like a successful, middle manager from a great organization, looking for a HUGE promotion. Which is a great potential hire, btw.

Instead he was treated as if he was a top tier, free agent, acclaimed GM. So everyone assumed he was going to come in and be a top level GM and it turns out he's struggling mightily with going from an organizational manager to a full GM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #18
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Too young to remember the Dead Things?

They were doormats for 20 years before this great run started.
I remember this saying though: Detroit has 2 Chevy in the garage but don't know which one will start.

But I can only remember one is Cheveldae.....couldn't recall who's the other one is, I was too young
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would not want to be a fan of the Avs, Devils or Canucks. I think they'll be in the bottom 5 for the next few years.

The Avs have clearly given up this year. Ratanan and Jost are good prospects, but I don't like their NHL defense now, and I don't see any blue chip defensive prospects. Losing Kyle Wood in the Boedker deal to Arizona is one many terrible asset management decisions the Avs had made over the last few years.

New Jersey seems to be stuck in purgatory. I feel bad for Taylor Hall since he had to suffer through years of garbage in Edmonton and will likely do the same in New Jersey.

Vancouver seems to have taken the soft rebuild approach that the Flames tried at the end of Feasters reign. The Baertschi and Granlund deals have been good for them. I like Horvat as a player, but he is very overrated by the Canucks fanbase.

At least Arizona and Buffalo seem to be building towards something. I like their young defensive players and prospects the most out the bottom feeders.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, the first time the Oilers haven't made the list in what seems like forever.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote