Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #61
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been a vocal critic of Brouwer, Versteeg, and Chiasson for a long time now.

They all actually played quite well last night haha(as my father in law repeatedly pointed out). Our bottom 6 definitely won the battles against their depleted bottom 6.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #62
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It might be obvious by now, but I love charts. Here's a breakdown of our current forwards, their salary, their point production and how much the team is paying them per point.

Freddie is usually a healthy scratch so whatever. But we really need to see more out of Bouma and Brouwer.

Edit: Versteeg has been an amazing signing.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #63
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least I think I saw Brouwer with a hit last game..
Old 03-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #64
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames and Lazar should consider a conditioning stint with the Heat. No waivers required for mutually agreed conditioning assignments. After tonight, Stockton doesn't play until next Friday and Saturday in Texas. Send him down for those two games then come back up to play vs the Avs on the 27th
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #65
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would sure like to see him play. I thought the Stone and Lazar acquisitions were great. We've seen Stone play and play well. Now I want to get a good look at Lazar. I'm just not sure, outside of an injury, which we don't want to see, how he gets into the lineup at this point.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #66
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer is the weakest link right now, but he's a leadership guy and it's hard to take him out of the lineup.

Bouma has been average lately and all season. He's had bursts of good play but I think he's the guy you take out for Lazar.

Chiasson has been playing very well lately, he's been physical, he's been producing, and he busts his ass on the backcheck. You don't take him out for Lazar when he is being the perfect 4th line winger. Just sends the wrong message.

Freddie needs to get some ice too. I think he should come in for a game for Stajan. Not that Stajan has played poorly, but it would do Stajan some good to get some rest seeing as he's the old man up front now.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #67
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Brouwer is your weakest link, and you have guys like Lazar and Hathaway unable to get into the lineup, you're a deep team.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #68
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Stajan and Bouma have been critical to the Flames PK over the last few months. I do t see how they are playing poorly or aren't doing their jobs? I don't think you pull them out to get Lazar some ice time unless he's noticeably better than the aforementioned in practice.

But he team is rolling right now. Can't mess with that.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #69
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would like to see Lazar replace Chaisson or Bouma at some point down the stretch to give the guy a chance.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #70
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have been one of the biggest people dumping on Chaisson. Right now and line he is playing on he is doing his job. Hurts to say but happy with his play. Maybe move Bouma out for a game or two
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #71
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will never stop being amazed that Chiasson was the key piece coming back in a trade for Jason Spezza.

That said, he's been very good in a 4th line role. Big, good defensively, can move around the ice, had a nice goal against Boston and his pressure generated a few chances for Bennett last night.

Can't say I have an issue with how that 925k is being spent at this point.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #72
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Lazar. Complains about his lack of ice-time with the Senators. Gets no ice-time with the Flames.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #73
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer is most in need of a wakeup call.

If he's as strong in the room as is reported, he'll own up to the accountability
Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #74
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Brouwer is most in need of a wakeup call.

If he's as strong in the room as is reported, he'll own up to the accountability

My thinking as well. Scratch Brouwer to piss him off. Get him angry heading into the playoffs.

His advanced stat line is bad, and the moment he switched to Stajan's line, Bennett got better and Stajan got worse. It's not hard to track what's happening. Brouwer needs a wake up call, and sitting a game for Lazar to cut his teeth wouldn't be the worst thing.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #75
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
I have been one of the biggest people dumping on Chaisson. Right now and line he is playing on he is doing his job. Hurts to say but happy with his play. Maybe move Bouma out for a game or two
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #76
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Nothing feels worse than being wrong about some random hockey player. Cuts deep, man.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #77
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer hasn't been great but I don't think he's been so bad that he should be pushed out of the lineup by Lazar, who the organization owes nothing to. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Lazar play more than a couple of games this year, and then maybe next year he draws in regularly.

Treliving said from the beginning that the trade wasn't a "right now" move.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #78
WesternCanadaKing
Giver of Calculators

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Nothing feels worse than being wrong about some random hockey player. Cuts deep, man.

I dunno why it would hurt to say, everyone knew Chiasson was being used incorrectly. He was a good 4th liner being put on a scoring line. Obviously he's going to suck.

Now he's a good 4th liner on the 4th line. Doesn't suck anymore.
WesternCanadaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #79
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Yeah, now that Chiasson isn't dragging down Monahan & Gaudreau on the top line I'm actually enjoying his play. His advanced stats line is surprisingly good. He could actually turn out to be an above-average bottom 6 forward.

If Gulutzan needs to shake things up in the bottom 6 I'd love to see Bouma in the press box, Lazar centring the 4th line with Stajan on the wing. Chiasson & Brouwer fight it out to see who rolls with the Bennett line.

Versteeg – Bennett – Chiasson >>> Physical line with some talent
Stajan – Lazar – Brouwer >>> Wily vets shelter the new young guy
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #80
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has a great attitude about all this

Quote:
“We’re coming up to about three weeks since I’ve played a game,” said Lazar, his usual grin growing into a high-beamer as he prepares to drop the punch-line. “So I may have to review the rulebook before I get in.”
Quote:
“There are two ways of looking at it,” said the 22-year-old forward. “I could, of course, go ahead and get all bitter and sour about it, but that’s just not my character. I’m very happy and blessed with this opportunity to come to a new team. And you know, the boys have been rolling. They’ve done a great job of welcoming me to the dressing room and allowing me to be a part of the culture
Quote:
He is ready, and his boss can tell.

“I can see now that he’s an astute player, because he’s trying to implement some of the things we do, some of the little subtleties that are in our game and he’s picked up on and in practice, he’s trying to institute,” said Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan. “So obviously, he’s a guy that’s dialled in on looking to do what we want to do here. I told him, ‘You just have to be patient.’

For anyone curious as well - Jokipakka has yet to suit up for his first game as Sen as well.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post: