Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2024, 11:50 AM   #41
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You are 100% wrong. The Knights announced it and activated him the day before game one on April 17.
He returned to practice on April 10th and everyone everywhere knew he was going to play in game one. Nobody needed an official statement from the team on the 17th to know it was happening.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:00 PM   #42
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

This is a tough one. MacKinnon is my choice for MVP and is doing everything he can to will this Avs team to victory. When Colorado won their cup, they won it with questionable goaltending from Kuemper so they've shown they can over come that BUT when they did they were deeper.

Can I see Colorado winning this series? Yeah. Hell, I can see them winning the cup. What I can't see is them going out round one in back to back years.

Buuuuuuuut the Jets are a team designed to stop a guy like MacKinnon. Team defense, arguably the best goalie in the world and while they struggle to score consistently they do seem to score in bunches and it seems to be timely which can be deadly in the play-offs.

I can see both teams winning. What I can't see is the Avs winning handily. I do see a world where the Jets dispatch the Avs quickly if the goaltending continues to be some of the worst in the NHL. I feel like this is either Avs in 7 or Jets in 5 and going off recent play I am going to say Jets in 5.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:05 PM   #43
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is going to be MacKinnon+Makar vs elite goaltending and some solid depth, I'd say Avs in 7 but I wouldn't bet my favorite shoes on it.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:14 PM   #44
Lewis_D
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Jets in 7. I think Colorado tinkered with their lineup too much at the deadline and that will come back to bite them in this series. And Hellebuyck.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:16 PM   #45
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its amazing what a couple weeks can do...not too long ago the Jets were bums who couldn't win a game to save their lives and now the majority is picking them to beat the Avs.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:30 PM   #46
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Avs will win this

Jets have over achieved and have played with a lot of structure all season...but I really don't see a defensive forward, or a d-core that is equipped to handle Mackinnon in a 7 game series

Feel like it will be Avs in 6...Jets shot will be goaltending if Georgiev falters and Hellebuyck steals it.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:18 PM   #47
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jets in 6
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:25 PM   #48
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Avs in 5 or 6
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:54 PM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
He returned to practice on April 10th and everyone everywhere knew he was going to play in game one. Nobody needed an official statement from the team on the 17th to know it was happening.
And Landeskog is practicing with the team already. Yet people are questioning if he will be ready, just like Stone. Absolutely nobody except maybe the team knew Stone would be ready for game 1 until the day before game 1.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM   #50
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Its amazing what a couple weeks can do...not too long ago the Jets were bums who couldn't win a game to save their lives and now the majority is picking them to beat the Avs.
I've been trying to confirm a couple theories I have to see if evaluating how a team does from game 52-72 is a better measure for likelihood to succeed in the playoffs than how they do in the last 10 games.

Every team is unique, but I do think the this team is hot going into the playoffs does not indicate success. This series is very much that as Colorado was playing well until this late swoon.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:05 PM   #51
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And Landeskog is practicing with the team already. Yet people are questioning if he will be ready, just like Stone. Absolutely nobody except maybe the team knew Stone would be ready for game 1 until the day before game 1.
I bought Stone in a playoff Auction draft that happened on a Friday and I think they played the first game the following Tuesday. So there were reports about 4-5 days out that he would play in the series sand game 1 was likely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 02:11 PM   #52
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Avs in 5.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:15 PM   #53
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I bought Stone in a playoff Auction draft that happened on a Friday and I think they played the first game the following Tuesday. So there were reports about 4-5 days out that he would play in the series sand game 1 was likely.
Most of the reports were that he could return anytime in the playoffs, nobody had a timeline. It was not confirmed he would play in the opener until the day before the playoffs started..
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/vegas-golden-...jets-1.1947184
Old 04-17-2024, 03:59 PM   #54
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wrong dates

Last edited by Zary's-Mustache; 04-17-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:57 PM   #55
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Where are you getting your info from?

Quote:
Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog attended team meetings Tuesday and watched practice from the bench.

His coach, however, says he's "not close" to becoming a participant.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl...se/ar-BB1lJHCz

And even if he does get back at some point in the playoffs (extremely unlikely it will be against WPG), he isnt going to be "that guy" right away after not playing the game in almost 2 years.

As for the series....we're talking about the Jets.

Avs in 6.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:35 PM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Where are you getting your info from?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl...se/ar-BB1lJHCz

And even if he does get back at some point in the playoffs (extremely unlikely it will be against WPG), he isnt going to be "that guy" right away after not playing the game in almost 2 years.

As for the series....we're talking about the Jets.

Avs in 6.
Because he has been taking non contract practices with the team for a while now, he actually started skating in January.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...-from-surgery/

Again, they said the same thing about Kucherov after missing a year, how did that work out?
Old 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM   #57
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for watching practice and never skating with the team I am not buying it. He had his first skate with the team back in January. This is playing out exactly like Kucherov in 2020, they said the exact same thing. I think Landeskog is a lot further along than the team wants anyone to know.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:57 PM   #58
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
As for watching practice and never skating with the team I am not buying it. He had his first skate with the team back in January. This is playing out exactly like Kucherov in 2020, they said the exact same thing. I think Landeskog is a lot further along than the team wants anyone to know.
Except every team reporter for the Avs has never said he was practicing with the team.

Quote:
Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog, the rug that really tied the 2022 Stanley Cup champs’ room together, earlier that day watched his mates in sweats, his bad right knee flanked by Logan O’Connor’s bum hip.
https://www.denverpost.com/2024/04/1...urn-not-close/

Yes he has been skating on his own/with other injured guys as part of his rehab and learning to do so on a new knee, but that is a long long way from playing in an NHL playoff game.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:39 PM   #59
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Except every team reporter for the Avs has never said he was practicing with the team.

https://www.denverpost.com/2024/04/1...urn-not-close/

Yes he has been skating on his own/with other injured guys as part of his rehab and learning to do so on a new knee, but that is a long long way from playing in an NHL playoff game.
Again, it replays exactly like Kucherov in 2021. Let's go back in time here on this board, when I said Kucherov would play in game 1 posters jumped on that, no way he will be ready and I was being ridiculous. He played. I said the same thing about Stone last year and got the same responses, his back is done, he won't be ready, and he played. Teams are keeping where these players are under wraps, they want the opposition to think they won't see a Kucherov, or a Stone, or a Landeskog. Maybe you are right and maybe this time it's different, don't be surprised though if Landeskog is in come game 1.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:50 PM   #60
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Even if he does come back...who cares? He has missed 2 years. Not like this is some sort of cap circumvention plan the Avs have been planning for 2 years so they can go out and get superstar Mittlestadt
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote