Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only team ahead of us I could see trading their pick for help now is Edmonton, which is too bad as I would rather keep our pick and put together a package for one of the higher ones.

I think ekblad is who Florida wants so I don't see them wanting to trade down unless we pay a lot. Assuming they do take ekblad I would prefer us to just take who arrives at 4 than move up.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #22
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I wouldn't give up a prospect like Baertschi or Gaudreau + our 1st.

The difference between 4th and 1st is not worth a potential top 6 forward.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #23
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Especially when 4th still gets us a high-end centre, which is an organizational need.

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Stajan

and we all of a sudden have high-end centre depth. Which is the PERFECT way to start a rebuild.

Acquiring high-end first and second line centres any other way than drafting them high in the draft, is very hard to do. Having Monahan + Bennett (or Draisaitl or Reinhart), is fantastic.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #24
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The price to move up is more than most of us would be willing to pay IMO. The real question is would it be more than Burke is willing to pay? You gotta know he's drooling over the 6'4 potential franchise defenseman. In the end I bet Florida demands too much for the pick. Ekblad is a perfect fit for them IMO and I don't think they move down unless somebody massively overpays.

Now on the other hand if you want to start a thread about trading up to #2 with BUF, I could see that being far more feasible. However I'm not sure it adds much value for us unless we really love a guy like Bennett more than rest and are scared someone will take him.

Feels like a year where we just sit at #4 and several good players will drop to us.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #25
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's very possible we stand pat. In January, Burke mentioned that the 2015 draft is very important to them; implying more than the 2014. My guess is Calgary may be gunning for Eichel or McDavid next year. Noel Hanafin is a defenseman that's highly ranked as well next year.

Unless we make a move for Ekblad, I can see us taking a centre (even Draisaitl) this year and one of Hanafin, Oliver Kylington or Zach Werenski next year.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #26
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I think if Edmonton trades the pick, it has to go for an established player. Ekblad is good... but he doesn't move the needle for next season and they desparately need to improve next year to avoid even more fan base revolt.
why should they worry about this now when they don't care about their fans now.
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #27
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Especially when 4th still gets us a high-end centre, which is an organizational need.

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Stajan

and we all of a sudden have high-end centre depth. Which is the PERFECT way to start a rebuild.

Acquiring high-end first and second line centres any other way than drafting them high in the draft, is very hard to do. Having Monahan + Bennett (or Draisaitl or Reinhart), is fantastic.
I am against moving up at that price as well - and Gaudreau would be right out of the question IMO.

If Bennett were the likely prize, then great. But if Florida takes a forward, or if Edmonton trades their pick, then we are looking at Draisaitl or Dal Colle, at which point the price of trading up would be more palatable.

Our 1st and a couple other picks - sure

Our 1st + Baertschi? That would be tough, and I would do it ONLY if I was pretty sure the top 3 would all be gone otherwise.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #28
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It'll take a hell of a lot. You have to assume that they're gonna take Ekblad or at least give out that vibe to those asking - simply because he's by far the best defenseman in this weak year and he has franchise potential.

If they're gonna tell they're fan base that they traded the first overall pick, and also forego the obvious marketing ploy to attract fans with a 1st overall pick that's ready to play next year it's going to have a colossal cost.

It would take Sven and 4 OR Giordano + to get that pick most likely. No thanks.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #29
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
The price to move up is more than most of us would be willing to pay IMO. The real question is would it be more than Burke is willing to pay? You gotta know he's drooling over the 6'4 potential franchise defenseman. In the end I bet Florida demands too much for the pick. Ekblad is a perfect fit for them IMO and I don't think they move down unless somebody massively overpays.

Now on the other hand if you want to start a thread about trading up to #2 with BUF, I could see that being far more feasible. However I'm not sure it adds much value for us unless we really love a guy like Bennett more than rest and are scared someone will take him.

Feels like a year where we just sit at #4 and several good players will drop to us.
Even at #1 it would have been hard to see Buffalo taking Ekblad with the wealth of defensive talent they have, including two top 15 selections from last year, that should see time next year. It's pretty unlikely they'd fall two spots when the two teams beneath them are both almost assuredly drafting the same position. Maybe if they fall in love with MDC but you'd think the centre would be Murray's priority.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #30
Fire It Up
Draft Pick

Swap firsts with Carolina and have Jordan Staal (yes I know he has a NTC) come this way with Granlund or Max Reinhart going other way?
Fire It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #31
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire It Up View Post
Swap firsts with Carolina and have Jordan Staal (yes I know he has a NTC) come this way with Granlund or Max Reinhart going other way?
Then fire Burke afterwards
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #32
Fire It Up
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Then fire Burke afterwards
I don't think getting a 1/2 Center and potentially one of Virtanen or Ritchie for a that deal would cost him his job. We get yet bigger down the middle and have a shot at a large winger in the process.
Fire It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #33
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

we will give em....

glencross and #4 for #1....

this way they will still suck and we get what we want..
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #34
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best price $34.50
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #35
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

the only way I could see us trading up is if a vet + 1st for 1st is the trade. I don't see us moving any prospects/picks to move up.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #36
ramizle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Agreed. We could end up trading Beartschi for what could be another player similar to Baertschi. At least we already know what we have in Baertschi.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #37
KenHouston
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

TJ Brodie and Hudler to Florida for the fist overall. Flames take Ekblad and possibly then Bennett with their 4th overall.
KenHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #38
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, whatever they ask for should be considered. I'm not sure Burke likes Sven that much so I could see him as PART of the deal.

#4 + Sven
For
#1 + something, maybe a second or third
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #39
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Realistic option they would take: Gio

Fan trade: Our 4th overall and two seconds
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHouston View Post
TJ Brodie and Hudler to Florida for the fist overall. Flames take Ekblad and possibly then Bennett with their 4th overall.
No
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: