Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:
Default Conference Board economists predict Canada could support three more NHL teams

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...416/story.html

The Conference Board of Canada says the economic conditions are favourable enough to have three more National Hockey League franchises in the country within the next 20 years.

The board suggested Monday that in addition to Canada's seven existing NHL teams, Quebec City and Hamilton, Ont., appear to meet minimum requirements to become home to franchises in the near future.

In the longer term, another franchise could eventually find its way to the Toronto area, but a lot of money and population growth would be required for the region to support two teams.

The co-authors predict that franchises in Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa will continue to be viable markets over the next 20 years but that the Atlantic provinces and Saskatchewan will not have the population or corporate presence to support NHL teams.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd argue that Saskatchewan could have the corporate presence.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

It blows my mind that a second team in Toronto hasn't existed for a long time actually. It makes too much sense.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes sense to everyone but the Leafs. If there was a second NHL team in Toronto, the Leafs would actually have to ice a competitive product instead of Harold Ballard-ing their way through life. This thought terrifies the brass at MLSE, and they will do anything up to and including mailing nuclear letter bombs to league HQ to prevent it.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Wtf. Hopefully this report doesn't lead to Edmonton getting an NHL franchise.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I think Saskatoon could have the appropriate building blocks for an NHL team especially in the future when oil sands development expands into Saskatchewan. Saskatoon will likely see a pretty serious boom with oil sands expansion.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Saskatchewan isn't even in my top 15 potential NHL markets.

GTA/K-W/Hamilton and Quebec City are the only places close to viable
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally think the Toronto market is overrated.

They're Leafs fans, not hockey fans. The Marlies do okay because they're the Leafs farm team. They don't go to Junior games. They may support a new team for a bit to spite the Leafs, but it will be temporary.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Saskatchewan isn't even in my top 15 potential NHL markets.
Will never happen, just don't see lack of corporate presence as an issue.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I personally think the Toronto market is overrated.

They're Leafs fans, not hockey fans. The Marlies do okay because they're the Leafs farm team. They don't go to Junior games. They may support a new team for a bit to spite the Leafs, but it will be temporary.
There would be enough corporate support from those who can't get/afford leafs tickets to make it viable.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Leafs and Sabres would never approve having an additional team in the area. It simply won't happen.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

agreed, leafs would never agree to another team, but i think a team in the western GTA could easily have another successful team.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quebec City and Seattle will have the next two franchises.

Its still debatable if that will be because Pheonix and possibly Florida/NJ relocate or if the NHL will in fact expand.

I'm not saying Florida/NJ will relocate by any means but these are the next 2 most struggling franchises...

I have no doubt Pheonix will likely relocate in 5years time..
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Saskatoon still has such a small town feel to it, I just can't imagine it having an NHL team. But maybe like 7-10 years down the road that conversation changes. I'd say some place like Hamilton Ontario, even over a second Toronto team. The metro area has a population similar to Edmonton. Could work.

Maybe an east coast team..but where? Halifax?

Quebec City is the most likely at this point.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quebec will make money, but who will want to play there?

Culturally, I can't see it being appealing for any prospective FA in the league
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone who thinks that Saskatoon or Regina are cities that could support an NHL team needs to travel more.

I mean, I know in the region, they are bigger than some of the other areas, but just think of it like this: the metro population of Saskatoon is 260,000 people, the metro population of Dayton, Ohio is 841,000 and it is 71 in USA metro population ranking.

When the US's 71st metro area is 4 times that of Saskatoon, and it is a place that nobody in their right mind has considered for pro sports, I just find myself chuckling at mentions of Saskatoon having a big 4 pro sports team.

Just for reference, some of the US metro areas that are close (some bigger, some smaller) to Saskatoon: Greeley, CO, Clarksville, TN, Hagerstown, MD, and Lynchburg, VA. And there are a plethora of other areas in this same size group, from ranking 161 to 181st. Now tell me that any of those areas make any sense to put a pro sports team... These places sound more like cities that have built monorails!

Last edited by tripin_billie; 04-15-2014 at 02:05 PM.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tripin_billie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's barely enough people in the entire province of Saskatchewan to support an NHL franchise let alone an individual city like Regina or Saskatoon. This isn't the CFL where the province travels to Regina once every two weeks in the summer to see a football game. NHL games need to be attended during weekdays in the middle of winter.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-15-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
Anyone who thinks that Saskatoon or Regina are cities that could support an NHL team needs to travel more.

I mean, I know in the region, they are bigger than some of the other areas, but just think of it like this: the metro population of Saskatoon is 260,000 people, the metro population of Dayton, Ohio is 841,000 and it is 71 in USA metro population ranking.

When the US's 71st metro area is 4 times that of Saskatoon, and it is a place that nobody in their right mind has considered for pro sports, I just find myself chuckling at mentions of Saskatoon having a big 4 pro sports team.
Population is only part of the equation. Large population centers have proven to be unsuccessful in the past/present like Phoenix (1.5M), Metro Hartford (~1M), Metro Atlanta (5.5M.) You can't just go around basing team presence on population. You might as well move the Flames and Oilers to some place like Houston or San Antonio or San Diego.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 04-15-2014 at 02:26 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Population is only part of the equation. Large population centers have proven to be unsuccessful in the past/present like Phoenix (1.5M), Metro Hartford (~1M), Metro Atlanta (5.5M.) You can't just go around basing team presence on population. You might as well move the Flames and Oilers to some place like Houston or San Antonio or San Diego.
Just stop. The league needs to relocate franchises before expansion, IMO, as the talent base is getting too diluted. Adding 2 more teams to make the league 32 and relocated 2 leaves Saskatchewan (either Regina or Saskatoon) around 50th on the waiting list.

Maybe in 30-40 years if potash rebounds and oil & gas expands dramatically... both for long term corporate sponsorship and, yes, adequate population in the immediate vicinity that would be able to attend 41 games a year.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You Must be from Saskatoon, its the 21st most populous city in Canada.
It would need to at least triple its population before it could be considered. It took Calgary over 15 years of being Boom Town to double in population.

I think it will be at least 40 years of growing at a booming pace for Saskatoon to be Viable. and for corporate support you could not have meant Regina.

Edit:

/\ didn't even read the last post before I wrote that. Love that our math was the same.

Last edited by #-3; 04-15-2014 at 07:56 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote