Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #121
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
So you're saying Toews isn't a true #1C.... wow.
I thought for a long time whether I should include Toews in there because I figured some would take that point and not comprehend the rest of the post. I could easily argue that Bergeron is a #1C as well. Heck Couture is a legitimate #1C as well. Why just point out Toews and not my other choices?

I'll say that perhaps the "true #1C" words were poorly used on my part, but I had hoped people would understand the context for which it was said. For that I mean the #1C role is GENERALLY used to define a go-to offensive center - Thornton, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datysuk, Tavares are stereotypical. I'm talking about needing a go-to 1st line offensive talent, and having a center anchor that top line in Draisaitl might be the best result.

I'm just saying that Drasaitl has the ability to anchor a new top line by himself. Dal Colle and Bennett are complementary pieces to what we currently have. We need both, but unless we're thinking Eichel/McDavid (who also seem to have the potential to anchor new lines), I think it'd be better to get the center.

Also, I'm saying we HAVE our Toews already - Monahan is that guy. Would you rather have 2 Toews or a Toews and a Kane?

Last edited by Regorium; 04-16-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #122
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I thought for a long time whether I should include Toews in there because I figured some would take that point and not comprehend the rest of the post. I could easily argue that Bergeron is a #1C as well. Heck Couture is a legitimate #1C as well. Why just point out Toews and not my other choices?

I'll say that perhaps the "true #1C" words were poorly used on my part, but I had hoped people would understand the context for which it was said. For that I mean the #1C role is GENERALLY used to define a go-to offensive center - Thornton, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datysuk, Tavares are stereotypical. I'm talking about needing a go-to 1st line offensive talent, and having a center anchor that top line in Draisaitl might be the best result.

I'm just saying that Drasaitl has the ability to anchor a new top line by himself. Dal Colle and Bennett are complementary pieces to what we currently have. We need both, but unless we're thinking Eichel/McDavid (who also seem to have the potential to anchor new lines), I think it'd be better to get the center.

Also, I'm saying we HAVE our Toews already - Monahan is that guy. Would you rather have 2 Toews, or a Toews and a Kane?
Don't we already have our Kane too?

LOL GREEN TEXT!

No but really, I'd rather have two Toews.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #123
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post

Also, I'm saying we HAVE our Toews already - Monahan is that guy. Would you rather have 2 Toews or a Toews and a Kane?
I didn't think it was necessary when I posted Bergeron's stats next to Krejci's. How could you argue that Toews isn't THE go to offensive center on that team considering he has more goals than Kane in less games played. The same thing goes for Bergeron. Especially on a team like the Bruins where no one scores a lot of goals.

And I understood exactly what you were saying.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #124
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Who has Webster helped draft? Looking at our last several drafts, we only have a few from the OHL. Does he cover the QMJHL as well or something?

Our last 10 OHL draftees; Monahan, Nemisz, Brodie, Mickey Renaud, John Armstrong, DiDomete, Pelech, Ryder, Lalande, and Prust.
Sorry, late to the party here, but if Webster was the scout that is based in Ontario (more specifically eastern Ontario) you can add Porier (as I think the scout who was watching Monohan in Ottawa went to Gatineau and fell in love him) to that list as well. I think you can also add "The player who won't be named or the thread will be derailed in to an argument about how we could have had Maata" too.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #125
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
Sorry, late to the party here, but if Webster was the scout that is based in Ontario (more specifically eastern Ontario) you can add Porier (as I think the scout who was watching Monohan in Ottawa went to Gatineau and fell in love him) to that list as well. I think you can also add "The player who won't be named or the thread will be derailed in to an argument about how we could have had Maata" too.
Weisbrod scouted Jankowski. Gatineau is across the river from Monahanville, Stanstead is a farther clip.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #126
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Weisbrod scouted Jankowski. Gatineau is across the river from Monahanville, Stanstead is a farther clip.
Weisbrod scouted Jankowski after Button told him to go and see him. Flames had another scout that saw him - seems it was either Tom Webster or Mike Adessa that saw him first.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #127
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Weisbrod scouted Jankowski after Button told him to go and see him. Flames had another scout that saw him - seems it was either Tom Webster or Mike Adessa that saw him first.
From Feaster's tales it was Weisbrod that found him.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #128
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
From Feaster's tales it was Weisbrod that found him.
No.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greentree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #129
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm just going by what he said. He said they were going to trade the pick until Weisbrod told him about a guy he found.

Either way, it doesn't really matter.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #130
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure it was Mike Adessa that first saw Jankowski, that name seems to ring a bell from when they were talking about how they found him.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #131
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, and maybe a new draft thread could be started, but I am more intrigued about this draft than even last year's. The reason being is two fold:

1) At this point we only have one first rounder. Speculation and expectiond are magnified around a hungry fan base. Reasonably so. Put me in that camp. I've absorbed a lot of the input and debate about it. I enjoy reading it.

2) There clearly seems to be no consensus here about who will end up in our lap when we pick, barring some unlikely trade involving said pick. The draftees potential and fit to each organizational need is probably more heavily relied upon in this year's draft. This is mostly thanks to it not being dominated by one or two guys.

Now, I'm no poker player, and will never say I was one, but anything can happen here and a lot of teams' lists seems to be discounted in favour of wish lists. I do like seeing what posters think will take place with all kinds of supportive arguments. Heck, I'll even throw the odd one in. It's enjoyable.

At the end of the day, there may be be more moving parts in this draft than any other that we've seen recently. Team situations is probably at the forefront. Edmonton and Florida the most. Teams who are probably feeling the pinch to achieve success sooner than later. Throw the Islanders in there too. Vancouver? Probably too!

In what is not considered a real deep draft by many, those few very valuable pieces (which we are a part of), becomes even more valuable.

It, along with what others can add or argue, could make this year's draft even more fun. I don't know what will happen! Add perhaps another first 10 pick: even more fun

Last edited by Scoreface; 04-16-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scoreface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #132
Bar-Down
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I am really warming up to the idea of Dal Colle.
Yup.

I think we will either be getting either one of the Sam's or Dal Colle, which sounds awesome to me!

Adding a top talented Canadian kid is always a good thing.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #133
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well I'm just going by what he said. He said they were going to trade the pick until Weisbrod told him about a guy he found.

Either way, it doesn't really matter.
Here's a link to the story

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...f-first-round/

Quote:
This past season, Flames director of scouting Tod Button saw Jankowski first. Liked him a lot.
Quote:
Next up was Weisbrod.

In December, he happened to be in Quebec to see another prospect — who, because of injury, ended up not playing. That left Weisbrod with a gap in his schedule. Button told him to fill it with a trip up the highway to see Jankowski.

So Weisbrod pointed his rental car into a blizzard — and away he went.

Beyond the kid’s name, he knew little.

“I can tell you I was in a bad mood — I was driving two and a half hours through snow,” said Weisbrod. “But by the middle of the second period, I was laughing out loud by myself in my seat.
Quote:
“I don’t want to share anyone’s business,” said Weisbrod, “but I know he wouldn’t have made it through [the first round]. I know at least two teams that would have taken him. We knew we had to take him [Friday] — it was just a matter of where.”
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #134
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-Down View Post
Yup.

I think we will either be getting either one of the Sam's or Dal Colle, which sounds awesome to me!

Adding a top talented Canadian kid is always a good thing.

Agreed. If it's a toss up or really close between two players I usually prefer going with the Canadian kid.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #135
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watched some interviews. I put some stock in a player's personality and how he projects himself (see Monahan). Ekblad is just a class act, very mature. Reinhart is impressive, really calm. As for the rest...pretty much what you would expect from 17/18 yr old boys. Ritchie the best of the rest tho imo.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #136
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Dal Colle Interview from April 1st
http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips...Colle_Apr1.mp3
Notes:
  • Says he is just under 6'2'' and 185lbs currently (says he started at the season at 183).
  • describes himself more of a finesse player rather than a power forward and primarily plays the wing.
  • "make my hands do more of the talking rather than my body"
  • likes to create most of his scoring opportunities off the cycle and work it down low
  • not necessarily going to be the guy that is always going to drive the net and power my way
  • thinks he can score goals just as well as he can setup people
  • favorite player is Malkin but style of game tries to follow is Eric Staal

Leon Draisaitl interview from February 15:
http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips...aitl_Feb15.mp3
Notes:
  • describes himself as a big playmaking center that is pass first
  • says his defensive game and skating are the two biggest things he needs to improve
  • admits he played "badly" at the WJC
  • says he would love to be drafted by the Oilers, asked if he would give the same answer to Calgary, he answers "what else am I supposed to say?"

Nick Ritchie interview from January 21
http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips...chie_Jan21.mp3
Notes:
  • says 6'3'' 230lbs is about accurate
  • agrees with scouts that says skating is one of his best assets - thinks he is a pretty powerful skater for being a big guy
  • last summer worked out with former NHLer Aaron Downey
  • also spends the summer with Dawn Braid, skating coach for the Buffalo Sabres
  • wouldn't call himself a fighter but willing to fight to stick up for teammates or himself
  • "I like to get in on the forecheck and play hard all over the ice and play physical and lay a few hits here and there"
  • favourite player is Ovechkin but models game after Lucic or Nash
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #137
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Let's just hope Draisaitl is never a flame. He doesnt want to be.

Its actually a huge win win for the oilers to pick him vs. one of the Sam's.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #138
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Let's just hope Draisaitl is never a flame. He doesnt want to be.

Its actually a huge win win for the oilers to pick him vs. one of the Sam's.
I think Draisaitl meant he would love to be drafted by the Oilers, and when asked what about the Flames, his answers would be obviously be the same.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #139
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Leon Draisaitl interview from February 15:
http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips...aitl_Feb15.mp3
Notes:
  • describes himself as a big playmaking center that is pass first
  • says his defensive game and skating are the two biggest things he needs to improve
  • admits he played "badly" at the WJC
  • says he would love to be drafted by the Oilers, asked if he would give the same answer to Calgary, he answers "what else am I supposed to say?"
Why would anyone want to go to that place? The team & organization has zero direction and the city is a complete dump
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #140
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's with the hate for Ritchie on here? - I know nothing about him, just curious.
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote