Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #61
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Impression I got from video:

Elite on-ice vision!
Exactly what i was going to come and post after watching that video. He is shifty for sure, he will need to put some strength on but he didn't look out of place at all.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #62
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, when you isolate him like that it looks like an entirely different game. Everytime he was on the ice he affected the game in a positive way. Pretty impressive for a guys first game to have a couple nice shifts, much less control the play when you're on the ice. You can tell there were a lot of missed opportunities that were created by him that could be converted into goals in the future. Strong defensive awareness as well. Seems to use his size to an advantage to get underneath players and surprise them vs trying to dominate them physically like most players. Thanks AC!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #63
4oh3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

GODreau
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #64
gonzo29
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You are the man AC. Looking forward to watching this shortly.
gonzo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #65
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldrickonice View Post
please let's pick a different phrase... I find that one soooo offensive

thanks ac. Outstanding stuff!

Gaudreau looked great, but most importantly... What was his corsi?
57.9% (11 cf, 8 ca)

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 PM   #66
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsflamesfan View Post
This isn't anything new about Burrows, but did anyone else feel Burrows' play to hook Gaudreau's skate as he fell down chasing the puck out of the zone to be super dirty? (Around 1:30)
Yes. Wasn't sure who the player was, but it makes sense now!
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 AM   #67
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could see Gaudreau constantly making hockey plays, not just attempting to get highlight of the night (though many of his plays could have turned out to be that.) This kid just thinks the game on a different level than everybody else. Honestly cannot wait to see him in more action.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #68
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Had an amazing first shift and great first half of the game. Seemed to become a bit more invisible during the second half but overall he surpassed my expectations for his NHL debut.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #69
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watching this video I wonder if there were others of Johnny's ike in the old NHL clutch and grab era that were never allowed to function.

I always considered myself a fan of the "tough" hockey, but makes me think.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #70
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thank you AC, that's a great compilation.

A couple of things stick out to me:

1) He definitely has a natural sense of what other players want to do with the puck. On the shift where he does the spin on Burrows behind the net, he actually gets the puck from the Vancouver dman by dragging his stick along the edge of the boards in order to pick off a drop pass. On at least two other occasions you can see him anticipating that the dman will try to swing the puck around the boards. The first time I saw it I thought he was just turning away from pressuring the dman in the corner, but rather he had a lead on what the dman was about to do.

2) He approaches board battles a bit like Brodie. Rather than trying to muscle up shoulder to shoulder with the guy, he seems to prefer using his quickness to get body position between the opponent and the puck. Makes sense given his size, but his quickness made it seem relatively effective as it is with Brodie.

3) You can tell he has great vision. Made at least one cross-ice pass under pressure that anticipated a dman moving up. Hit Byron without hesitation with a pass on his first shift. Also, that pass that he feathered to Gio on the powerplay during his 3rd shift is just beautiful. Goes towards the net to draw dmen, one small move, and then a feathered pass that hits Gio in stride. I thought our passing was our biggest weakness during the previous 3 years, and improved somewhat this year. Gaudreau will really help on this front.

Definitely has a gifted skill set. I think the big question for him will be how well he uses his quickness and intelligence to give him the time and space that he needs to make plays in the NHL. Hard not to be excited though, and I'm usually a pessimist. Especially after n=1.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #71
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime_On_Flames View Post
Thank you so much AC!

Does anyone see a little bit of Datsyuk in Johnnys defensive game? He's relentless on the backcheck and stole the puck a couple of times in that game. This was his FIRST nhl action...i'm salivating at his upside!
Forget Kane - if Gaudreau turns out anything like Datsyuk I'm in!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #72
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsflamesfan View Post
This isn't anything new about Burrows, but did anyone else feel Burrows' play to hook Gaudreau's skate as he fell down chasing the puck out of the zone to be super dirty? (Around 1:30)
Yep, I caught that as well, thought to myself after the hit on Sedin that the Burrows play was dirtier. Typical of the little mutha ####er!
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #73
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
He is a weird player to watch away from the puck.
Quote:
He goes to places you don't see players go to. Think to yourself 'why is he going there?'.
Quote:
Pucks always find a way to bounce to that open area.
Quote:
but if you can get the puck in an area where everyone is 3 strides away, you(he) can get up to speed and a good chance will come.
Quote:
He, at times is weirdly far away from that on the defensive side.
Quote:
I'm curious at how it will work in the NHL and if a coach will let him get away with it.
This is a great post. There was another player who's style of play was unanimously described almost exactly how you are describing Johnny's style. I dare not say his name because it's way beyond ridiculous. But this is exactly what people said about him.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #74
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
This is a great post. There was another player who's style of play was unanimously described almost exactly how you are describing Johnny's style. I dare not say his name because it's way beyond ridiculous. But this is exactly what people said about him.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #75
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny G-esus.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #76
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is where I hope coaches are patient. He is a weird player to watch away from the puck. I think most coaches in the NHL expect all players to do the conventional thing without the puck. The 'being an NHL' player mold. He goes to places you don't see players go to. Think to yourself 'why is he going there?'. On offence when desperate he likes to find the most open area and dump the puck there. Like a mosquito he seems to hover in that same open area on the defensive side, since the other team players like to do the same. Pucks always find a way to bounce to that open area.

Getting the puck in the scrum is fine to get possession of it, but you probably won't do much other than a pass or dump, but if you can get the puck in an area where everyone is 3 strides away, you(he) can get up to speed and a good chance will come.

It is human nature to be drawn to the mass of people fighting for the puck as you see in timbits where it has to be driven out of kids until the day they die. He, at times is weirdly far away from that on the defensive side.

I'm curious at how it will work in the NHL and if a coach will let him get away with it.
I have a feeling that Johnny won't get the Sven treatment from Bob. Johnny seems like the super humble type, and coaches love that. He will get a much longer rope than a young prospect who is not as humble. Sven has a little bit of a swagger to him, and i'm not saying this is bad, it works for him, but it may not endear him as much to old school coaches.

Plus also add in the fact that Johnny will be working Bob Hartley's hockey school for the second straight summer this year, and I think he'll be one of Bob's favourites.

And if Johnny creates offense like he did in his only NHL game, Bob will have all the reason to cut him some slack on the defensive side of things.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #77
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't noticed any swagger from Sven at all. Guy seemed super humble and polite at all times.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #78
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it matters which forward position Gaudreau plays as he uses the entire ice surface. He will be better when he gets to know his teammates' tendencies. They will also benefit more from his play when they realize how he plays and how creative he can be. The idea of having him on the PP makes me drool.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #79
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I watch his style of play and his skill.. I can see why he has been compared to Patrick Kane. Quick hands, quick feet, and he thinks the game so fast... The puck was on his stick and then passed over to a team mate so quick that sometimes guys weren't ready for it.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #80
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau dishes the puck so creatively and accurately that he'll be the best weapon on the PP we've had in many years. The problem with our PP for some time has been the lack of creativity and anybody being able to fool the opposition as to what we're gonna do... often because we don't move our feet at all, either. Gaudreau has the vision and does things so quickly, that often defenders are a step behind reacting to his moves. This year we've had no one with near that kind of vision to quarterback the PP.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote