Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #541
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He knows it too, from interviews I've read and is working on it. Quickness was mentioned as an issue in Monahan's draft year too. It often is with big men.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #542
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I have Reinhart alone as the top forward and then Bennett, Draisaitl and Dal Colle all pretty much even. Bennett plays for a far higher scoring team than either Dal Colle or Draisaitl who are both a far bigger part of their teams offence (% wise) than Bennett is with Kingston. In fact, I think Bennett might have the lowest offensive ceiling of the group.

If Draisaitl goes back to the WHL next year he is going to make a mockery of the league.
Sure, in the scoring department I'll give you that. But I think Bennett's other intangibles are what people like. The pure grit and dogged determination to get the puck is second to none in this draft. The leadership qualities I think also separate him from Draisaitl and Dal Colle. Granted I don't know much more about them than I should to make that statement but I haven't read anything either on those two to give me the sense that they are close to equal in that department.

You might be able to give Bennett the edge in defensive qualities as well. Along with hockey sense. Not saying Dal Colle or Draisaitl don't have great hockey sense, just that maybe Bennett's is higher.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #543
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Sure, in the scoring department I'll give you that. But I think Bennett's other intangibles are what people like. The pure grit and dogged determination to get the puck is second to none in this draft. The leadership qualities I think also separate him from Draisaitl and Dal Colle. Granted I don't know much more about them than I should to make that statement but I haven't read anything either on those two to give me the sense that they are close to equal in that department.

You might be able to give Bennett the edge in defensive qualities as well. Along with hockey sense. Not saying Dal Colle or Draisaitl don't have great hockey sense, just that maybe Bennett's is higher.
I get all that, but with the #4 overall pick, im not looking for intangibles, trying hard or defensive awareness. Im looking for an elite point producer and I dont think Bennett is that guy. I dont buy the hockey sense argument either considering Bennett has the lowest % of points for his team of any of the top 4 forwards on top of the fact that this is his breakout year. He had 40 points last year.

Although he may have a few more additions to his game like intangibles and tenacity, I also think has as many or more red flags than any of the other top 5 guys as well.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #544
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get all that, but with the #4 overall pick, im not looking for intangibles, trying hard or defensive awareness. Im looking for an elite point producer and I dont think Bennett is that guy. I dont buy the hockey sense argument either considering Bennett has the lowest % of points for his team of any of the top 4 forwards on top of the fact that this is his breakout year. He had 40 points last year.

Although he may have a few more additions to his game like intangibles and tenacity, I also think has as many or more red flags than any of the other top 5 guys as well.
91 points is nothing to sneeze at. He'll be just fine in the NHL in terms of point production. I really think his attitude and the way he plays the game fits the Flames perfectly. When Doug Gilmour and Mike Richards are your comparables, you really cannot go wrong with selecting Bennett.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #545
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Red flags? What red flags? I don't see any.

Some scouts are saying Bennett has the best pure skills out of the top ranked forwards so I'm not sure why you think he has a lower offensive ceiling. He also has much better speed than Reinhart/Draisaitl.

Strange take.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #546
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was voted smartest player in the OHL, Best Stickhandler, and Best Playmaker.

He has the high end offensive skills to go with the intangibles and tenacity, that is why he is ranked as high as number 1 on some lists.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 03:23 AM   #547
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is also 8 months younger than Reinhart and Draisaitl. I'd be thrilled to get him.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:58 AM   #548
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the Edmonton Journal, Cult of Hockey.
Quote:
Bet #3: Oilers take Draisaitl

Draisaitl should be there when the Oilers pick. He’s big and great with the puck. His playoff scoring wasn’t great, just three points in four games, and his regular season scoring doesn’t put him in the most elite level of attacking for draft age players.
But the Oilers need size, they need a centre, and it’s a good bet Edmonton will go with Draisaitl.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...eon-draisaitl/
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:11 AM   #549
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lack of playoff scoring shouldn't be a concern for the Oilers.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #550
Newfieflamefan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Lack of playoff scoring shouldn't be a concern for the Oilers.