Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Chris Butler; Sign him or let him walk?
Sign him for reasonable money 248 66.31%
Let him walk 126 33.69%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #261
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Butler's play was noticeably improved. He stepped up. That being said, if we can do better in the marketplace, draft, or who we have coming up from the AHL we should look to that. I also think we should draft balanced. Time to look at the d-men.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #262
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Gio Brodie
Smid Wotherspoon
Russel Wideman

There is no room on the bottom pairing for Butler.
If you are playing Smid and Wotherspoon above Russel and Wideman, we can expect another top 5 pick next year.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #263
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

A good point was brought up on the radio this morning about Butler and his blocked shots. He blocks lots of shots because he can't get the puck out of his own end, and spend more time in the offensive zone. To me the plus minus stat is more important than the blocked shots stat without question. I know this will make a few CPers upset but it's true!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #264
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

His transitional game is horri-aweful. He's improved his game to an average 5-6 NHL defenseman and would easily be replaced. I think we have better options than him in our system already.

If we somehow manage to draft Ekblad, I see him making the team over butler.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #265
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

So let's compare a couple players here, one a god, one a dog.

Monahan, 75 GP, 15:58 AVG TOI, -20
Butler, 82 GP, 20:15 AVG TOI, -23

Had Monahan played the additional 7 games, he would have been on pace for an additional -2, so -22 on the year.

Had Monahan played 4:17 more per game, that would put him on pace then for another approx. -6, totalling -28.

One is a god, one is a dog.

The vitriol shown to Butler is beyond contempt.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #266
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol Monahan is younger and it was his first year. He carried his line mates at time and made things happen on the ice. Butler did the opposite. Hec, if you want to make up situations I'll say that if Butler had a better transitional game then he could have not only improved his own stats but everyone else's stats.

Bottom line is that Butler is an average defenseman and if we can improve in that position we should.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #267
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Just for fun.

MacDonald: GP: 82 G: 4 A: 24 P: 28 ESP: 16 +/-: -22 TOI/G: 24:37 PP: 2:52 SH: 2:22 Bks: 242 Hits: 69 Gva: 64

Butler: GP:82 G: 2 A: 14 P: 16 ESP: 15 +/-: -23 TOI/G: 20:15 PP: 0:20 SH: 2:41 Bks:211 Hits: 68 GVA: 69

Then the advanced stats:

MacDonald: Corsi: -13.26 Corsi Rel: -19.5 Off Zone Start: 48.8% Off Zone Finish: 49%

Butler: Corsi: -13.61 Corsi Rel: -8.9 Off Zone Start: 41.3% Off Zone Finish: 46.1

So MacDonald puts up worse numbers than Butler, but has much more favourable Offensive zone starts (48.8% vs 41.3%). This is like giving Butler a 6 year, $30 million dollar contract and then sheltering his defensive zone time.
Posted this in the other thread but it fits here too. A player that is virtually identical to Butler in all aspects of the game (both regular and advanced stats) just got a $5 million contract.

I highly doubt we see Butler back here next season if he can leverage this signing as a UFA.

Said player also returned a 2nd and a 3rd round pick back at the trade deadline.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #268
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post
Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #269
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Posted this in the other thread but it fits here too. A player that is virtually identical to Butler in all aspects of the game (both regular and advanced stats) just got a $5 million contract.

I highly doubt we see Butler back here next season if he can leverage this signing as a UFA.

Said player also returned a 2nd and a 3rd round pick back at the trade deadline.
Because a bad GM gave out a horrible contract, doesn't mean we should do the same. Why don't we compare people to Adam Pardy and give contracts out to everyone. That MacDonald contract is just bad.

That being said, Butler isn't a bad player but we shouldn't keep him just because he's already here; if we can improve in that position we should, if we can't then we should try to sign him. Unless you want this team to be a perennial bottom 3 team like the oilers, changes need to be made.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #270
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Because a bad GM gave out a horrible contract, doesn't mean we should do the same. Why don't we compare people to Adam Pardy and give contracts out to everyone. That MacDonald contract is just bad.

That being said, Butler isn't a bad player but we shouldn't keep him just because he's already here; if we can improve in that position we should, if we can't then we should try to sign him. Unless you want this team to be a perennial bottom 3 team like the oilers, changes need to be made.
I was using that as a reason why Butler probably won't be back next season, not as a reason to give him a terrible overpayment.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #271
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good point. I hope some other GM wants to over pay for him, we don't need to over pay for an average guy like him. That being said, if he's the best option then I hope he comes at a decent price. BUT if he makes it to free agency and a team wants to give him a lot of money then I hope we can find a "diamond in the ruff" like Russell again.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #272
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post

I thought Pardy was playing pretty well for the Jets towards the end of the season.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #273
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That contract is beyond awful but it may move Butler to an asking price where it may not be prudent to keep him. I don't mind the team keeping him for a few years but not at an inflated salary.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #274
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post

Monahan, 75 GP, 15:58 AVG TOI, -20, Team GF 52, Team GA 58.
Butler, 82 GP, 20:15 AVG TOI, -23, Team GF 42, Team GA 86.

Had Monahan played the additional 7 games, he would have been on pace for an additional -2, so -22 on the year.

Had Monahan played 4:17 more per game, that would put him on pace then for another approx. -6, totalling -28.

Yes but +/- doesn't tell the entire story, and yes Monaha has more than enough to learn on the defensive side of the game. When you simply look at the team GF/GA ratio it gives quite a different story. Now you just need to decide how much of an importance goals on special teams play.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #275
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its ok to want Butler gone but some posters are getting really personal with their name calling and attacks on the guy. Its extremely tasteless and says more about the delto bravoness of those posters than anything else. Its a good way to figure out who to put on ignore.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #276
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We suffered through Butler's mistakes for years and just when he looks like he has turned the corner we are going to let him go?

I find it interesting that everyone under Bob is having a good year, while under Sutter everyone sucked. God that guy was a crappy coach.
theoforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #277
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Butler will be looking for a 3-4 year contract at $2.5 to $3 million a year at minimum. I'd be willing to take Butler back on the low end of that price scale for a 1 or 2 year deal but I think he'll try to cash in if he can.
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #278
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Butler is replaceable. Even if he's not, I'd rather give his spot to a prospect, than bring him back.

The reason Macdonald got a huge contract is that there are very few available quality UFA defense on the market. Butler, business-wise would be smart to go UFA. Career-wise, I would take Burke's best offer, because the flames have an abundance of puckmovers to make him look good. Butler can play defense, but he can't handle the puck.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 AM   #279
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post

Monahan, 75 GP, 15:58 AVG TOI, -20
Butler, 82 GP, 20:15 AVG TOI, -23

This is the most LOLtastic post I have read in a while.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #280
chanimal40
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He is the worst minus player on the team let him walk.
chanimal40 is offline   Reply With Quote