Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #1041
Sec218
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You would also think that Johnny and Mony would like to know who the coach will be before committing for 8 years.

Last edited by Sec218; 06-06-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Sec218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #1042
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec218 View Post
You would also think that Johnny and Mony would like to know who the coach will be before committing for 8 years.
I doubt it. They likely just got their way with one coach on the way out, and will probably see at least 3 coaches come and go over that time frame if they sign 8 year deals.

I doubt their contracts are on hold for the new coach announcement, unless they are on hold because Treliving is prioritizing the finding the new coach over those negotiations.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #1043
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

AHL finals going on at SN1 right now. Lake Erie is leading series 2-0. The reason I'm bringing this up is Jared Bednar , the Monster's coach I think has been mentioned as a candidate. He's 44 and has a long varied coaching record in the minors. Spent one year as an asst. with Playfair in Abbotsford.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=10983
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #1044
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I doubt it. They likely just got their way with one coach on the way out, and will probably see at least 3 coaches come and go over that time frame if they sign 8 year deals.

I doubt their contracts are on hold for the new coach announcement, unless they are on hold because Treliving is prioritizing the finding the new coach over those negotiations.
Yikes I certainly hope they don't see "at least 3 coaches" over the next 8 years 'cause that'll mean the Flames are a horrible team with an average tenure for each coach of just over 2 years!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #1045
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Agree about the penalties but disagree strongly about crapping the bed.
The Royals were supposed to be bottom feeders this season as they had lost all of their top 6 fwds pretty much. Again the lone bright spots were supposed to be Soy and Hickets.

Sure they bowed out in the 2nd round, but they certainly didn't choke.

Don't know how much you actually watch the Royals, but their offensive systems play this year and power play were very good.

The Royals had the 2nd best goal differential in the WHL. 281 GF , 166 GA. That screams of solid system play and even if the royals were taking g tons of penalties (which they were slightly above league average) they finished with the 2nd best PK in the league.

I concede the wheels fell off against Kelowna, but they shouldn't have even been in the playoffs in the first place.

They had 13 game winning streak and finished the season 9-0-1. So it's not like they sputtered into the playoffs.

Lowry is the biggest reason for the Royals season.
That's fair, like I said didn't mean to crap on the Royals, who had a great regular season... Just not my first choice based on my limited exposure to his coaching/teams. Junior is so cyclical so Kelowna is going to have their days losing playoff series or missing out entirely one day soon.

Lowry definitely seems to do really well with the cast-off/reclamation type players like Forsberg and Chase who have had issues elsewhere and his regular season was solid this year, through friends I've also heard he's a good guy from his time playing with the Flames. Just not the guy I'm pulling for to be coach based on that discipline piece and that final playoff step. But if he's the guy, will be happily cheering for him if he leads the flames to success!
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #1046
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

If the "process" results in Dave Lowry on a second coaching stint with the Flames I'll be pissed. Might as well dial up Hartsburg and Brent for another go around.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #1047
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ worry need not young Jedi. No Lowry hired here will be.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #1048
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Well cross Todd Richards off the list

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
#tblightning have hired former CBJ head coach Todd Richards to be an assistant coach under Jon Cooper. He will replace Steve Thomas.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #1049
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes!
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #1050
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This is good progress.

"Once you eliminate all the candidates, whomever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the coach."
-Sir Arthur Conan Treliving
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #1051
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This is good progress.

"Once you eliminate all the candidates, whomever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the coach."
-Sir Arthur Conan Treliving
Scotty Bowman?
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #1052
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Scotty Bowman?
Al MacNeil is still raring to go.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #1053
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its got to be Terry Crisp there is no one else left
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #1054
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Cross Scott Stevens off the list

Minnesota Wild @mnwild
#mnwild has named Scott Stevens as an Assistant Coach.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #1055
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that is really too bad.So Shaw and Green are still there. And Gulutzan...

Edit: And John Stevens is still available too! Reading comp, zero today.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #1056
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes!
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #1057
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Yikes I certainly hope they don't see "at least 3 coaches" over the next 8 years 'cause that'll mean the Flames are a horrible team with an average tenure for each coach of just over 2 years!
This next coach will be the 6th head coach post lockout. The Flames appear to fit that description
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #1058
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Not all shots are the same. A dump in on the goalie from centre has a low probability of going in while a rebound in the slot is a dangerous chance.

Confusing shots for scoring chances is one of the biggest flaws with corsi. It's very similar to plus-minus in usefulness which is to say not very useful.
Corsi with respect to coaches is not about offense. Corsi is about defense. If you are controlling the shot attempts you are controlling the play, and keeping the puck off the stick of the opposition's star players.

Defense at the NHL level is a myth. Sure you can block a few shots if somebody like Wideman is just shooting them into shin pads. But as soon as that puck is on the stick of somebody like Kane or Crosby you're at the mercy of your goalie making a ten-bell save.

The only way to defend elite players is to play as much keep-away as is possible, 170 feet from the net. It's to not have your fourth line out there stuck in the defensive zone on an island against the other team's best five man unit because they failed to perform a basic clear.

That's what corsi "measures", and what it correlates to, and what Hartley and Carlyle and Kreuger fail to measure up. It's what a guy like Darryl Sutter preaches. The Kings are the best possession team, does that make them a dangerous offensive team? Not unless the players can score. But it does make them a stifling defensive team no matter who's in net, even with some pretty big sieves on the blue line like Schenn.

Corsi doesn't measure Scoring chances. Correct. It makes no claim it attempts to.
Corsi doesn't measure Goal Scoring. It makes no claim it attempts to.
Corsi doesn't measure pure puck-on-stick possession time. It makes no claim it attempts to nor is that an issue as this is a sport where the puck is rarely on anyone's stick for extended periods, and when it is there is often a giveaway soon after.
Corsi is a proxy for useful offensive zone time. It claims to be that and it correlates well to that. What the players do offensively still matters. What it addresses defensively, is consistent.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-07-2016 at 11:36 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #1059
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It can't help that we fired Hartley just one season after winning the Jack Adams and guiding an underdog team in the early stages of a rebuilding to the conference semi-finals. It gives the optics that there is no room for error and that the Flames management is tough to please.

If you are a young up and coming coach, it's not an ideal situation to step into as failure could mean a short NHL career. And proven veteran coaches have better options.

I think we need to accept that this team is going to have to turn over a lot of rocks and won't have first pick. When Hartley was let go, I thought there was no way that Burkliving would do that without having someone lined up, but now I have to wonder.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #1060
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It can't help that we fired Hartley just one season after winning the Jack Adams and guiding an underdog team in the early stages of a rebuilding to the conference semi-finals. It gives the optics that there is no room for error and that the Flames management is tough to please.

If you are a young up and coming coach, it's not an ideal situation to step into as failure could mean a short NHL career. And proven veteran coaches have better options.

I think we need to accept that this team is going to have to turn over a lot of rocks and won't have first pick. When Hartley was let go, I thought there was no way that Burkliving would do that without having someone lined up, but now I have to wonder.
you don't think respective coaches and their agent/handlers can see that the team hired a hockey president after they already had a GM and coach, and this is the final step to complete the new hierarchy?

This isn't Treliving and Burke mowing through coaches year after year.

It's a process coming to completion.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: