Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #881
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I really would be surprised if anyone hired Carlyle. It's time to bring in younger coaches that have something to prove than bringing in someone with a mediocre history who's getting old. I hope that the Flames get someone like Gulutzan or Dineen.
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:07 PM   #882
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Dreger:

News Update

Darren Dreger
Darren Dreger – Verified account ‏@DarrenDreger

Travis Green also in running for head coaching job in Calgary. Canucks asst, Glen Gulutzan still being considered as well.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #883
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It seems like Carlyle or his agent if he has one is leaking all of his interviews to the press. Hearing very little about other candidates but exact details of which teams and how often Carlyle is interviewing. Probably has been said enough but I think he is a landmine in the head coach search.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:09 PM   #884
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
It seems like Carlyle or his agent if he has one is leaking all of his interviews to the press. Hearing very little about other candidates but exact details of which teams and how often Carlyle is interviewing. Probably has been said enough but I think he is a landmine in the head coach search.
Nah, it's just click bate. The news agencies are reporting it, and going out of their way to find our about Carlyle cause he's a known entity and a name that will spark a reaction from the fan base of teams giving him the interview, versus hear about Green for example.

That would be my guess. Carlyle's team gains very little from leaking this. Teams likely know who's interviewing who, and I'd guess there is very little "well if Calgary is considering him, maybe we should too" type of thinking going on at the GM level in the NHL.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #885
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It makes sense that Green would be in the running - it surprised me when it seemed like he was not, meets basically everything Treliving has said they are looking for... past success, reputation as a good communicator, success working with young players and positive possession numbers as a coach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #886
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I can't even imagine why the Ducks would fire Carlyle and then 4 seasons later bring him back. The core of that team is pretty much the same as when he left.
Unfinished business perhaps?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #887
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Nah, it's just click bate. The news agencies are reporting it, and going out of their way to find our about Carlyle cause he's a known entity and a name that will spark a reaction from the fan base of teams giving him the interview, versus hear about Green for example.

That would be my guess. Carlyle's team gains very little from leaking this. Teams likely know who's interviewing who, and I'd guess there is very little "well if Calgary is considering him, maybe we should too" type of thinking going on at the GM level in the NHL.
Yeah that makes sense too, I did also wonder if he was trying to get his name out there and increase leverage though, either for an NHL head or associate coach role or even getting a job in europe, trying to send a message to teams looking that he is still in the game. Either way, as long as he's not the Flames head coach it doesn't matter to me.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:25 PM   #888
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
More Dreger:

News Update

Darren Dreger
Darren Dreger – Verified account ‏@DarrenDreger

Travis Green also in running for head coaching job in Calgary. Canucks asst, Glen Gulutzan still being considered as well.
Finally some good news on the coaching search front. That said I thought the Flames hadn't asked the Canucks for permission to interview Green?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #889
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or Anaheim's team leaders have come back and said we need a guy like Carlyle back coaching this squad.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #890
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Opps
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #891
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Finally some good news on the coaching search front. That said I thought the Flames hadn't asked the Canucks for permission to interview Green?

It's no problem because Dreger has given them permission.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #892
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Couple weeks back Treliving said speaking to a Coach is the least important part - you can use references checks and scouting reports to assess how good a guy is and you don't even need to meet him until you've made your choice.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #893
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

With literally no info in regards to the Flames coaching search, I am going to guess the 3 finalists for the Flames bench.

Phil Housely
Travis Green
Brad Shaw

I think I will be good with any of these 3.

Gulutzan did alright with a transitioning Dallas roster in 2011, not sue how much better he got in Vancouver.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #894
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
How were they fourth? Regular season they were 15th, which is fine, but not world beaters.
Believe the Blues were most injured team in the league, missing Steen, Stastny, Schwartz, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, among others for long stretches, then mostly healthy for the playoffs
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:07 AM   #895
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the 3 are
Glen Gulutzan
Travis Greene
Dineen
With Boogie man as a wild card
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:21 AM   #896
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Couple weeks back Treliving said speaking to a Coach is the least important part -
...so you're saying there's a chance!!
It's a great day 4 hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #897
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Couple weeks back Treliving said speaking to a Coach is the least important part - you can use references checks and scouting reports to assess how good a guy is and you don't even need to meet him until you've made your choice.
For everyone who wanted Boudreau...

Minnesota: Bruce, we think you are a good fit here and want to bring you on board. Word on the street is that Calgary is looking at you?

Bruce Boudreau: News to me, we haven't spoken

Minnesota: Sign here?

Boudreau signs.

FIN
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #898
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...ning-momentum/

Quote:
21. Randy Carlyle interviewed with both the Ducks and Flames at the NHL combine on Tuesday.

My guess is he’s a more serious candidate in Anaheim than Calgary. Remember Bob Murray begrudgingly fired Carlyle. It wasn’t a move he wanted to make, more like one he felt he had to make. Making the whole situation more complex is the two men and their families were very tight. That put a strain on the relationship, although, to my understanding, it’s been repaired.

As for Calgary, the Flames interviewed Ralph Krueger at the Worlds. I think GM Brad Treliving is paring down his list.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #899
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Would still prefer Ralph Kreuger. He gave a speech to my company about teamwork and motivation, and he was very well received. I chatted with him afterwards too, he seems to very much get the team psychology down.

After that conversation with him, I think Edmonton really, absolutely did misuse him, and very unfairly. That's just my impression though, he clearly has his #### together.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #900
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kruger would be awesome if the result was a huge turnaround for the Flames. Comes in the team improves by 25pts and they have a nice playoff run. Just stick it to grease town
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote