Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #801
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I really don't think Kruger would come over here. His son plays hockey in Europe. He has deep ties to Europe now. He's friends with the mega-wealthy family who owns Southhampton FC and they are 1 win outside of 4th place in the Premier League. That sounds like the perfect place to be. Top tier association football in Europe is an amazing place and much higher on the sports echelon than NHL hockey in a smaller Canadian market.
If his passion is coaching hockey, he'd come over in a heart beat. If it's not, he might stay, but then we wouldn't want him anyway.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #802
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Krueger is such an interesting name to throw into the ring.

It might be very difficult for him to leave his post as chairman of Southampton, but his love of hockey & ties to Calgary could actually make the job pretty interesting.

I like the way SFC is run these days. The club has one of the strongest academies in European football and had developed a number of star players, including Gareth Bale who plays for Real Madrid. Despite often selling its young talent to rich clubs, Southampton still manages to compete in the Premier League by playing an attractive style & recruiting even more under-the-radar (cheap) talent. It's a good model for sports franchises which don't have as much financial muscle as they use the resources they have to the best of their abilities. As chairman, Krueger would be at the forefront of the day-to-day operations of the club and on the surface of it I would say he's done an excellent job.

To get him to coach the Flames would be a huge coup for Treliving.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #803
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Krueger is such an interesting name to throw into the ring.

It might be very difficult for him to leave his post as chairman of Southampton, but his love of hockey & ties to Calgary could actually make the job pretty interesting.

I like the way SFC is run these days. The club has one of the strongest academies in European football and had developed a number of star players, including Gareth Bale who plays for Real Madrid. Despite often selling its young talent to rich clubs, Southampton still manages to compete in the Premier League by playing an attractive style & recruiting even more under-the-radar (cheap) talent. It's a good model for sports franchises which don't have as much financial muscle as they use the resources they have to the best of their abilities. As chairman, Krueger would be at the forefront of the day-to-day operations of the club and on the surface of it I would say he's done an excellent job.

To get him to coach the Flames would be a huge coup for Treliving.
While I think he's an intreguing name too, and actually think he'll get considered on his coaching merits, I'd be careful being excited about him because of the job he's doing as Chairman at SFC. I don't follow football really, but my understanding that his role there is much more one of running the team and more of an equivalent of a hockey GM or maybe President of Hockey Ops job in the NHL?

While it might indicate he's a quality individual, and that he's generally a capable guy, being a good GM / President does not make you a good coach or vise versa. We've seen it with Sutter, and it's that type of thinking that has guys like Kevin Lowe talk about his cup rings as a player while defending his management decisions
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #804
Walter Reed
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames could do much worse than selecting RK as their next coach. The guy is a terrific teaching players coach. I personally have a great deal of respect for the man & his skills.

IKTHUS
Walter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Walter Reed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #805
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has there been any indication from Krueger that he'd actually be interested in leaving Europe and the Premier league? Or is this all speculation?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #806
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Has there been any indication from Krueger that he'd actually be interested in leaving Europe and the Premier league? Or is this all speculation?
I think it's all purely speculation from a Duhatschek, which has now popped up in a few different articles.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #807
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
"Calgary Flames: Krueger, Ward Emerge As Front-Runners For Coaching Vacancy".

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-...ancy/202/77185
The best part is the writer says the source is the Vancouver Sun, when the link is for the Vancouver Province, that is some great fact checking
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #808
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
It i8s speculation, but him coaching Team Europe at the World Cup is a pretty strong hint he is still interested in coaching IMO.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #809
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Troy Mann - Head Coach of the the Hershey Bears being mentioned..

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washin...ch-hershey-win

Quote:
With NHL head coaching jobs still available in Calgary and Anaheim, Mann could join Caps assistant coach Todd Reirden as a candidate for one of those jobs.
He's had success coaching career so far.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #810
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ducks must be waiting for an assistant of the Penguins and Sharks to be freed up.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #811
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On the Calgary Flames …

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: The Flames have interviewed Randy Carlyle twice for their vacant head coaching position.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumo...he/2016/05/29/
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #812
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I hate you Steve Simmons. I hate you.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #813
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not even that opposed to Carlyle. Yet for some reason, everytime I hear rumours about the Flames showing interesting in him, I get frustrated.

Don't know why.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #814
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I'm not even that opposed to Carlyle. Yet for some reason, everytime I hear rumours about the Flames showing interesting in him, I get frustrated.

Don't know why.
Painful scrums. He seems very surley.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #815
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
On the Calgary Flames …

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: The Flames have interviewed Randy Carlyle twice for their vacant head coaching position.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumo...he/2016/05/29/
Simmons is full of something brown and smelly.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #816
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

Don't know why.
Because he's a mediocre coach at very best?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #817
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Simmons is full of something brown and smelly.
Root beer?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #818
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Painful scrums. He seems very surley.
Toronto does that to people - it's full of people like Simmons
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #819
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Burke's most recent interview on the fan, he said that sometimes you do interviews to help the candidate out, as it creates interest and demand, it could be that Burke is doing that for his friend Carlyle.

Both Burke and Tre keep talking about not being scared to hire a young coach, I think they've been preparing the fan base for such a hire. There's a reason why they say certain things to the media. It's not like the draft where the it's about secrecy. They make a point in their interviews about not being cared to hire young and also about looking for some one who has built something.

Everything they have publicly said seems to be pointing towards a young coach with limited NHL experience.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #820
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
On Burke's most recent interview on the fan, he said that sometimes you do interviews to help the candidate out, as it creates interest and demand, it could be that Burke is doing that for his friend Carlyle.

Both Burke and Tre keep talking about not being scared to hire a young coach, I think they've been preparing the fan base for such a hire. There's a reason why they say certain things to the media. It's not like the draft where the it's about secrecy. They make a point in their interviews about not being cared to hire young and also about looking for some one who has built something.

Everything they have publicly said seems to be pointing towards a young coach with limited NHL experience.

One interview to help a guy out, sure. But two, if true, is more than that. Maybe they want him as an assistant/mentor to a younger guy?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote