Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Flames Something that's still bothering me about the ROR debacle and NOW.

Ok guys,

Amongst all of the “Fire Feaster” discussion (because there is A LOT of it going on), I can’t help but feel extremely bothered about something that I don’t know has been talked about really yet. Leastways I can’t find a discussion on it amongst the various different threads going on. So here goes…

Can someone explain (or try!) to explain to me how this management group goes from point A to point B in a month’s time:

A) Feb. 28th - 3 games under .500, Flames present a 2 year/$10 million offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly, which (forgetting about the whole waiver debacle for the sake of argument for a moment) would have cost them a 1st and 3rd rounder

B) End of March/beg. Of April – approx. 3 games under .500, we go into full rebuild mode starting with Iginla, Bouwmeester, Kipper talking with Leafs/Hawks, Glencross rumored, Feaster/King essentially saying they are in full swing on deals

I think out of everything Feaster/ownership have managed to muck up, this of all situations confuses the hell out of me and makes me wonder if these guys even know whose driving the bus or where they are going?

Because correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t point A above still go at the “win now” philosophy and point B the full rebuild? If that’s the case did we seriously just take a 180 in a matter of a month??????????????????????

As a long time Flames fan that concerns the hell out of me. How screwed would this franchise still be if we did end up landing ROR? Would they be trying to re-sign Iginla, keeping a win-now mentality with the same useless plugs?

Is it just me or does our franchise seem lost at sea?
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Doom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes it's very concerning how laughable the rock solid plan is appearing to be.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

ROR was goong to be the future. I'd trade any pick outside of top 5 to get him. There is no rule that prevents you from having young and old players on the same team. In fact, that would be the best plan.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
fuffalo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
Ok guys,

Amongst all of the “Fire Feaster” discussion (because there is A LOT of it going on), I can’t help but feel extremely bothered about something that I don’t know has been talked about really yet. Leastways I can’t find a discussion on it amongst the various different threads going on. So here goes…

Can someone explain (or try!) to explain to me how this management group goes from point A to point B in a month’s time:

A) Feb. 28th - 3 games under .500, Flames present a 2 year/$10 million offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly, which (forgetting about the whole waiver debacle for the sake of argument for a moment) would have cost them a 1st and 3rd rounder

B) End of March/beg. Of April – approx. 3 games under .500, we go into full rebuild mode starting with Iginla, Bouwmeester, Kipper talking with Leafs/Hawks, Glencross rumored, Feaster/King essentially saying they are in full swing on deals

I think out of everything Feaster/ownership have managed to muck up, this of all situations confuses the hell out of me and makes me wonder if these guys even know whose driving the bus or where they are going?

Because correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t point A above still go at the “win now” philosophy and point B the full rebuild? If that’s the case did we seriously just take a 180 in a matter of a month??????????????????????

As a long time Flames fan that concerns the hell out of me. How screwed would this franchise still be if we did end up landing ROR? Would they be trying to re-sign Iginla, keeping a win-now mentality with the same useless plugs?

While it probably isn't a great idea, giving up picks for ROR could be considered part of a rebuild. Similar to the Kessel to Toronto situation.
fuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ok guys,

ROR is a proven young player, still very young. He's versatile in both the win now and rebuild and win later scenerios.
JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think they just figured he was a top line centre and probably better than anyone they would have gotten around the 12-14th pick. Because he's only 22 he sort of covered both win now and rebuild. Obviously if we're picking top 5 that thought changes.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

cause we'd be a playoff team with ROR in the line up!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

A) If they could have landed O'Reilly, the hope was to still get into the playoffs, our first would have been mid-round or worse, and the Flames felt that O'Reilly was as good or better than who they could have drafted at that position, PLUS, they would have had O'Reilly now, instead of the drafted player in a few years. Yes, the plan here was to still win now.

B) They didn't get O'Reilly, the team continued to lose games and fall in the standings, owners/management could no longer ignore the writing on the wall, and the long overdue rebuild began. Plan is no longer win now.

Not that complicated to me.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ok guys,

Gettign RoR would have still been a rebuild piece regardless. I dont see a rebuild as needing to do what the Oilers did. A better way to rebuild is with young quality prospects/players say under the age of 23. I would be just as happy if the Flames got RoR and still traded Iginla and company for a few later 1st round picks as well.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well you could look at it as ROR was a big center to build around and they were giving up picks which could be regained by trading away older veterans. Keep in mind ROR is only 22, and could be a part of the FLames for the next 10 years. Going forward they would have ROR and two first round picks, perhaps accelerating the rebuild by a year or two.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Know what's bothered me? How feaster and management have put the Flames in this situation when the real problem that needed to be addressed should of happened 2-3 yrs ago, now were selling all our assets low
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

how would the Flames have done with him in the lineup...we will never know
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
oilboy2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just think if Colorado didn't match RoR. Feaster would have lost him and his 1st(lottery pick). I guess you can look at the bright side but you are right. How does one go from one extreme to the next. Even worse he still doesn't call it a rebuild. Loooong road ahead.
oilboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilboy2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
I think they just figured he was a top line centre and probably better than anyone they would have gotten around the 12-14th pick. Because he's only 22 he sort of covered both win now and rebuild. Obviously if we're picking top 5 that thought changes.
calgary was picking 6th at the time of the offer sheet
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it was the California road trip March 8-11 that really opened managements eyes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I hear Feaster say he talked to Iginla and Bouwmeester in LA about the possibility of trading them?
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There really isn't a plan, only soundbites to make it sound like there actually is - last year's "fool me once..." mantra which proved fruitless, then his "if we're gonna rebuild I'm not the right man" spiel(overlapping with the whole rebuilding high in the draft rarely works - see EDM - PITS and CHI are lucky etc...) then we have "intellectual honesty", followed by "we're looking to make our club better every single day and will continue to try and find a centre" after the ROR debacle, and now we have "open for business" in regards to selling.

Honestly our franchise doesn't even have a boat at sea, they're lost trying to decipher the difference between a steering wheel and a mast.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dagger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

it kinda sounds like the 3 losses on the S.California road trip started the internal discussion of moving Bouw and Iggy, so that would have been after the ROR offer.

When the ROR offer occured, the Flames had 30 games remaining; after SoCal half the season was over, and the Flames had lost 4 of 6 games in between the ROR offer and the California road trip.

Last edited by Canada 02; 04-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes we are flying by the seat of our pants, but the re-build is still the right way to go. IMO.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rose colored glasses got knocked off in So Cal and the Management finally saw that they had a garbage team and the skill added did not improve the team and they are trending down.

I am sure they were still confident that RoR would solve their problems as he is young, a C, and can help out right away.

At the end of the day I truly think Feaster was told to get as many draft picks as he can with their current roster and he is fired this summer with a new GM taking over. Hopefully King is also shown the door and we can get a total fresh start.

If a new GM is coming in I am sure he prefers draft picks to prospects when building a team.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's a pretty safe assumption to that ROR would not have materially impacted the fortunes of this team, we might have been slightly better to finish 9th or 10th again and watched Colorado pick two franchise players and return to a contender 5 years ahead of us. What a total joke the management team is.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote