Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 12:16 PM   #2421
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huberdeau feasts on destroying another teams second and third lines, but that means that you need a legitimate first line to shelter him. Like every Flames team since the 90s, they desperately need a #1 center. Not to centre Hubey, but to draw fire.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:53 PM   #2422
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I am not an expert on this stat, but Bingo has it in his game recaps.

Expected GA for goalies above average. Markstrom was near the leaders for lots of the season, but came down after the trade deadline. I assume that takes in to account the degree of required saves, or i's a pretty useless stat.

So, he was not just giving up more goals (duh!), but was giving up more goals than the average goalie would do on comparable chances. At least I think that's what it was saying.

Vladar and Wolf on a per game average were terrible on that stat, but at least Wolf's got better at the end (which the eye test would confirm).
Yeah the slide in Markstrom's numbers after the all star break don't appear to be 100% on the team's defense (based on expected goal models of the day)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:06 PM   #2423
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I think lots of blame can be spread around. Has he sucked? Yes. He also didn't demand a trade to Calgary and ask for that contract.

Anyone of us would have taken that deal.
I'd be willing to be that he specifically asked for that contract.
'Well you offered $10.5 to Johnny, so....'
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 02:12 PM   #2424
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Let’s bring Mony back home!
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DylanScores For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 02:22 PM   #2425
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll take the Mon-man back here any day.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 02:25 PM   #2426
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I'll take the Mon-man back here any day.

Not if we are trying to build a faster/up-tempo skating team.
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #2427
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I'd be willing to be that he specifically asked for that contract.
'Well you offered $10.5 to Johnny, so....'
Plus the signing bonuses to basically guarantee it.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:27 PM   #2428
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Huberdeau hasn't fallen off because of age, he is a playmaker on a team with few drivers and few pure scorers.
He had a 115 point season the year he joined the Flames playing primarily with Bennett and Duclair. He played with players that had a better history of scoring after joining the Flames, but his production went down
Old 05-03-2024, 05:30 PM   #2429
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I am not an expert on this stat, but Bingo has it in his game recaps.

Expected GA for goalies above average. Markstrom was near the leaders for lots of the season, but came down after the trade deadline. I assume that takes in to account the degree of required saves, or i's a pretty useless stat.

So, he was not just giving up more goals (duh!), but was giving up more goals than the average goalie would do on comparable chances. At least I think that's what it was saying.

Vladar and Wolf on a per game average were terrible on that stat, but at least Wolf's got better at the end (which the eye test would confirm).
I know what the stat is, and what it tries to capture. I am saying it doesn't do a good job of that because scoring chances are not created equal - two shooters, in the same spot, taking the same shot, are not the same if one of them has more time and space than the other, for instance. But the stat cannot account for that. And as a result, I argue that terrible defense does not get fully captured by the stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah the slide in Markstrom's numbers after the all star break don't appear to be 100% on the team's defense (based on expected goal models of the day)
Yes, the stat says that. Does the stat do a good job of calculating that? We have debated it before, and there is no point in re-hashing it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 06:35 PM   #2430
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
If Huberdeau can get back to a point a game that would be great. I don’t think the Flames have the supporting cast to get him back into the 110 scenario.
Not until Conroy signs Duclair and trades for Bennett. Get the band back together, baby!
Old 05-03-2024, 06:50 PM   #2431
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Not until Conroy signs Duclair and trades for Bennett. Get the band back together, baby!
And the most important piece, coach Q.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:24 AM   #2432
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I know what the stat is, and what it tries to capture. I am saying it doesn't do a good job of that because scoring chances are not created equal - two shooters, in the same spot, taking the same shot, are not the same if one of them has more time and space than the other, for instance. But the stat cannot account for that. And as a result, I argue that terrible defense does not get fully captured by the stat

Yes, the stat says that. Does the stat do a good job of calculating that? We have debated it before, and there is no point in re-hashing it.
Yeah no point in debating it.

To answer your question though ... it can and will improve ... it does directionally act as the best measure of goaltending that is publically available.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:28 AM   #2433
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
Let’s bring Mony back home!
Would be a decent signing, no chance he is going to look at a retooling team.

I believe his quote was 'wants to sign with a team that wants to win"

My guess he resigns with the Jets
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:29 AM   #2434
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Would be a decent signing, no chance he is going to look at a retooling team.

I believe his quote was 'wants to sign with a team that wants to win"

My guess he resigns with the Jets
If he wants to win why would he sign with the Jets?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 10:04 AM   #2435
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see a path where Monahan returns to the Flames. If they are listening to the players they want to compete next year. They would need a center, winger, and top 4 Dman. Markstrom is a trade chip they would use to acquire one of those pieces and they could make other moves and look to free agency to fill other holes. I could see them selling Monahan that he would be the trigger man for Huberdeau.

I believe the Flames are okay with being bad until the new building opens but we all know the mandate typically is always go for the playoffs.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:16 AM   #2436
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I see a path where Monahan returns to the Flames. If they are listening to the players they want to compete next year. They would need a center, winger, and top 4 Dman. Markstrom is a trade chip they would use to acquire one of those pieces and they could make other moves and look to free agency to fill other holes. I could see them selling Monahan that he would be the trigger man for Huberdeau.

I believe the Flames are okay with being bad until the new building opens but we all know the mandate typically is always go for the playoffs.
I don't like the idea of playing Monahan with Huberdeau, that would be one slow pairing trying to get up ice.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 10:54 AM   #2437
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't like the idea of playing Monahan with Huberdeau, that would be one slow pairing trying to get up ice.
Perfect combo to lose games though lol
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 11:01 AM   #2438
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
He had a 115 point season the year he joined the Flames playing primarily with Bennett and Duclair. He played with players that had a better history of scoring after joining the Flames, but his production went down
They had a deep team and he had #1 PP time with other players like Barkov, Reinhart…..

Huberdeau has been a 50 pt player for the Flames for 2 yrs now. The team is not getting better. He is what he is.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:27 AM   #2439
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

The Flames will have to overpay to get UFAs, both because of market (a bit) but more because of likelihood of success. Hopefully Conroy goes to ownership and points to Huberdeau and says we need to hold the line on costs with UFA signings. If everyone agrees to that it should prevent any UFA signings this offseason (and maybe next). That would be best for the team.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:33 PM   #2440
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, Conroy won't be dabbling much if at all in the FA market. I truly believe he's using the open spots for kids to take jobs.

That being said, if he signed only one player in the FA market, I hope it's Monny.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good