Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Where would you like the Flames to go with their jerseys?
Keep with the existing set 9 2.34%
go back to vintage home and away 229 59.48%
go back to 2004 home and away 26 6.75%
minor tweak to the existing set (piping, flags) 40 10.39%
new design that adds black to the retro look 36 9.35%
completely new design 39 10.13%
other (elaborate) 6 1.56%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #201
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hey Scary Eloranta, can you repost your jersey with the black "C" and the new shoulder patches? I'm hoping we get something similar to that.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #202
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I would argue the CP community is a very good sample size for overall Flames fans.
Maybe for online. Overall, I think you're stretching it.

I know of season ticket holders that have had seats for over 15+ years and never heard of CP. When I make the reference to a topic or comment on here they say "what website?"

No offense to the community at CP. I think it's great. There's a whole other world of fans outside of CP.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #203
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the fanbase just wants a nice jersey - going to retro just guarantees that so people want that jersey.

If it's a simple nice jersey with the Black logo once released I think the fanbase will be fine - much like they were when the 03/04 jerseys were released to critical acclaim and were one of the hottest selling jerseys in the NHL before that playoff run happened.

It's just that a black logo means there is still the risk of it looking something like our current jersey, instead of a simple classic design like our retros.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-12-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #204
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
Hey Scary Eloranta, can you repost your jersey with the black "C" and the new shoulder patches? I'm hoping we get something similar to that.
This isn't the thread for that - you're looking for the Jersey Designs thread: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=117010
Old 06-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #205
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
Maybe for online. Overall, I think you're stretching it.

I know of season ticket holders that have had seats for over 15+ years and never heard of CP. When I make the reference to a topic or comment on here they say "what website?"

No offense to the community at CP. I think it's great. There's a whole other world of fans outside of CP.
So what?

The point is that the people on CP are a good enough sample size and accurate reflection of the general fanbase. It isn't perfect, the people here tend to be far more invested in the team than your average fan, however for the question at hand I think CP represents the general consensus.

If staying with black C, simplify the jerseys, get rid of the flags and piping. Go for a design similar to retros (but with black) or go to something similar to the 2004 jersey.

The fact the Flames seem to be hellbent on maintaining that awful, awful "modern" look with the weird shapes, piping etc needs to stop. I have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #206
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would argue the CP community is a very good sample size for overall Flames fans.
I don't know about this, I always feel CP community is much more educated on hockey and Flames compared to Flames fans commenting on twitter, facebook and other social media or general media sites
The Following User Says Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #207
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I rocked a white pedestal jersey from 1996 for years until I scored tickets to game 4 against the Canucks in 2015 and decided it was time to buy a red. I struggled in the fanattic of what red jersey to buy...for about .5 seconds. Retro red all the way, full Flames colors the way they were supposed to be, crisp white C that brings life to the jersey, no piping, and above all, no goddamn cartoon-y candadian flag/clashing Alberta flag blue.

I've hated our current jerseys for ten years since the day they came out, to the point now that I treat them like Spiderman 3 (another terrible product of 2007) and pretend they don't exist.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 06-12-2017 at 12:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #208
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
I don't know about this, I always feel CP community is much more educated on hockey and Flames compared to Flames fans commenting on twitter, facebook and other social media or general media sites
Quality on this site is better than Twitter.

However, internet discussions seem to draw out negativity. I don't think people who are ok with things care enough to come online and talk about their satisfaction.
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #209
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
retro red and the red they currently use with the black C is the same colour
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #210
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So what?

The point is that the people on CP are a good enough sample size and accurate reflection of the general fanbase. It isn't perfect, the people here tend to be far more invested in the team than your average fan, however for the question at hand I think CP represents the general consensus.

If staying with black C, simplify the jerseys, get rid of the flags and piping. Go for a design similar to retros (but with black) or go to something similar to the 2004 jersey.

The fact the Flames seem to be hellbent on maintaining that awful, awful "modern" look with the weird shapes, piping etc needs to stop. I have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea.
And I absolutely agree with your points about the CP community. But I think you need to pick a little at all the different bases. CP, Twitter, Facebook, season ticket holders, the average fan that goes twice a year, and so on.

I completely agree that the CP fan base seems more in touch with the Flames and more vested in what happens. In all aspects.

Is CP a good sample size for what the overall fan base wants for jerseys? Maybe. Obviously it's not what they did here based on the teaser.

I'd like to know how they made their decision on the new jerseys. I'm sure we'll find out once the full reveal is done.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #211
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like I will not be purchasing a new jersey. The Flames are truly idiots.
Orrrrrrrr, just maybe they've thought this through. With the Flames having to go to Adidas, and not being allowed a third jersey in 2017-18, they may be using the (mostly) current jersey, as many people will buy the jersey because it's new. Then in 2018-19 they will roll out the new retro, as there is pent up demand for it. This way they'll sell more jerseys, and make more profit.

I feel if they went to the retros this year, and brought out the current style next year as a third, they would be leaving a lot of money on the table. Many have said they want the flags and piping removed. Many will buy if this is the case. The third jerseys are to generate income. Having retros will maximize revenue, in my opinion.

I like the retros better. I'll probably buy a retro next year, but will also likely buy the current version this year. This is dependent on the jersey looking decent (to me), and being free of sponsor advertisements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #212
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like I don't know what kind of idiots are working there right now. Do they have focus groups that actually know what they are doing?

Seriously, it is like a 75-25 split in favour of retros.

I bed the white retro would have been a massive seller.

Like WTF.

I was getting confident that they were going to do the right thing.

Useless.
Maybe part of the right thing is driving a new revenue opportunity. Going retro's doesn't likely represent their biggest revenue opportunity, given many of the fans that will buy jersey's will already own one and less people will feel the need to refresh.

It is a business, and outside of the revenue, I'm excited to get a new different jersey. Of course it will suck if I don't like them, and I know I like the retro's, but calling them idiots seems silly. Their jobs are far more complex than simply do exactly what the fans on the internet are asking for, it's do make the business as successful as possible, and it's very easy to see how simply going to an existing jersey concept might not be the best money making avenue for the team.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #213
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marketing wise, it's sound. The retros are always for sale. Lots of people already have them. A new and different jersey = more sales, including to those who already have a retro, or maybe to people who will buy both.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #214
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Orrrrrrrr, just maybe they've thought this through. With the Flames having to go to Adidas, and not being allowed a third jersey in 2017-18, they may be using the (mostly) current jersey, as many people will buy the jersey because it's new. Then in 2018-19 they will roll out the new retro, as there is pent up demand for it. This way they'll sell more jerseys, and make more profit.

I feel if they went to the retros this year, and brought out the current style next year as a third, they would be leaving a lot of money on the table. Many have said they want the flags and piping removed. Many will buy if this is the case. The third jerseys are to generate income. Having retros will maximize revenue, in my opinion.

I like the retros better. I'll probably buy a retro next year, but will also likely buy the current version this year. This is dependent on the jersey looking decent (to me), and being free of sponsor advertisements.
The Flames are missing out on a chance to sell a lot of white retros.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #215
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bet the White jersey sales for Flames regardless of iteration are minuscule compared to any Red sale. People simply don't feel they can ware the whites to the building, especially at playoff time.

You're advocating for retro's full time based on the feedback on this site and citing the whites as the revenue opportunity. This site would be first place to take a dump all over folks for wearing their Whites to home games. People want to buy jersey's they can ware to the building and during playoff runs.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #216
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's the C of Red. Not the C of White. There would be an extremely small number of white jerseys sold for Calgary. There are many people who own multiple Flames' jerseys that are all red. The only white jersey I own is a Gaudreau game used that I'll be framing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 06-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #217
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm pretttty sure he means white C, not jersey.

Its been well established by everyone that if you own a white flames jersey, you're a scumbag.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #218
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like there is pretty much no change from that pic.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #219
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I like the retros, I don't mind them sticking with the black Cs. I will be very disappointed if they keep the flags though.

I also hope that piping and vertical stripes are completely out of the Adidas template so those things are never an option again.

If they're doing a teaser image each day this week, I hope tomorrow's shows either the collar or the shoulder. That will either calm the fears ... or send everyone off the deep end.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #220
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I am arguing against your thoughts on the jersey but I find it hilarious that the guy arguing the most against the jerseys with the black C has a dude in a jersey with a black C as his avatar.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread