Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #101
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I've noticed with these old sci-fi movies is their tendency to have these looooong drawn out scenes of their spaceship models floating around. Both 2001 and Alien have long scenes where it's just their ship model(s) floating through space set to dramatic/tense music. Not terribly exciting and I wonder if it was just the style of film making back then?

Love the opening scene in Space Balls where they make fun of it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #102
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
One thing I've noticed with these old sci-fi movies is their tendency to have these looooong drawn out scenes of their spaceship models floating around. Both 2001 and Alien have long scenes where it's just their ship model(s) floating through space set to dramatic/tense music. Not terribly exciting and I wonder if it was just the style of film making back then?

Yeah, watch the original Star Trek movie again like we did when it came out on Netflix last year. The extended sequence of Kirk gazing upon the new Enterprise from a shuttle was almost absurd.

But it was a different time back then. We aren't inundated with information like we are now. I remember studying every detail of my Star Wars cards, looking for any bit of information I could pick up. What I wouldn't have given for a long, slow-mo closeup of any of the ships, rebel or imperial.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #103
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

2001 was released in 1968. The spacecraft scenes were very groundbreaking for that time.

The ships were also scientifically plausible unlike most Sci-Fi movies.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #104
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The crappy part about movies like The Usual Suspects, is that the ending is almost common knowledge in our culture.
I honestly have no idea about the ending.

I'll hide from this thread until I've checked out these five films!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #105
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Just had to share:
After talking about Seven Samurai earlier, I found a copy of the Criterion Edition for 50% off. As anyone knows, Criterions are incredibly expensive, so it was quite the bargain.
My Criterion collection is one of the only sets of movies that are on the shelf and not in a box. When I saw a copy of Wages of Fear at a thrift shop, I picked it up even though I already owned a copy. I couldn't help myself.

Also, the X-rated Criterion copy of Robocop is majestic, if you can track it down.

As for Usual Suspects, I originally was invited to a pre-screening, so the ending blew us all away. If you don't know how it ends, shut down the internet, turn off your phone, and go watch before it is spoiled for you.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #106
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Just had to share:

After talking about Seven Samurai earlier, I found a copy of the Criterion Edition for 50% off. As anyone knows, Criterions are incredibly expensive, so it was quite the bargain.
1. Where
2. Are there more
3. Is it blu ray
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #107
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I honestly have no idea about the ending.

I'll hide from this thread until I've checked out these five films!
Don't listen to them, there's no special ending.

Now go watch the movie.

Thanks to Lime's post I decided to watch L.A. Confidential last night. That movie is awesome!
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #108
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Yeah, watch the original Star Trek movie again like we did when it came out on Netflix last year. The extended sequence of Kirk gazing upon the new Enterprise from a shuttle was almost absurd.

But it was a different time back then. We aren't inundated with information like we are now. I remember studying every detail of my Star Wars cards, looking for any bit of information I could pick up. What I wouldn't have given for a long, slow-mo closeup of any of the ships, rebel or imperial.

You shut your dirty mouth!

That scene where Kirk first sees the refit Enterprise is probably the best scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #109
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

As for Usual Suspects, I originally was invited to a pre-screening, so the ending blew us all away. If you don't know how it ends, shut down the internet, turn off your phone, and go watch before it is spoiled for you.
The only true way to enjoy the ending of usual suspects is to not know there's a twist ending coming. Even if you have no idea what the movie is about, if you know there's a big twist coming, your mind tries to play the guessing game the entire way and that cheapens the ending a bit. I heard nothing about the movie when I saw it in theatres and was floored when I saw the ending because I had ZERO idea it was coming.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
V
Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 AM   #110
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
1. Where
2. Are there more
3. Is it blu ray
1. Barnes & Noble here in Boca.
2. It was the last one on display there
3. No, regular DVD. I don't care though.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #111
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
The only true way to enjoy the ending of usual suspects is to not know there's a twist ending coming. Even if you have no idea what the movie is about, if you know there's a big twist coming, your mind tries to play the guessing game the entire way and that cheapens the ending a bit. I heard nothing about the movie when I saw it in theatres and was floored when I saw the ending because I had ZERO idea it was coming.
In other words, multiple posts over the last two pages have ruined this movie for anyone who read them and hasn't seen it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #112
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Digitally a bunch of criterion collection movies are on sale, including Seven Samurai. Don't know about iTunes but go search for it on Google Play for your Android devices (or through the Web too).

And the Usual Suspects spoilers.. I'm one of the biggest baby whiners for spoilers on this forum but geez, that movie 20 years old guy.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #113
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can change your region to Mexico, Seven Samurai amongst a few other Kurosawa films are on Netflix.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #114
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
If you can change your region to Mexico, Seven Samurai amongst a few other Kurosawa films are on Netflix.
Great if you're on a laptop or something but sucks for using my Chromecast unfortunately. Haven't found a real solution for that.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #115
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, was a backhanded spoiler. Then again, so is my CP screen name, in a way, as I lurked on this site for a couple of years before joining.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 07-25-2015 at 09:12 AM. Reason: don't know what I was thinking
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote