Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #261
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan and Gaudreau at -4 each and held off score board at home. Is there a stats site where i can see line match ups? Who those guys were matched against?

I wonder how well GG did getting them away from checking?
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #262
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I like it a lot. It is the system I was hoping for.

The defense is very tight in the defensive zone, and the forwards are more prone to clog up the front of the net. Allowing shots from the perimeter is not a big deal. Preventing ones from the home plate area is paramount. The goalies by in large can stop the point shots and ones from the half wall area without much difficulty. The shots from in tight are the problem (see three of Van's four goals tonight for an example).

The breakouts are as a team, which with the type of guys we have on the back end is how it should be. They are fast, so having them not to jump way up in the play makes it both easier to contribute offensively, but also decreases the distance they have to go to get back. Once Gaudreau and Monahan are back together and the third line of what I'm assuming will be Bouma-Backlund-Frolik are going, this team is going to be deadly.

Each game we were good in the Corsi department and outshot the other team heavily. Once you get some skilled guys in there, it makes it all the more easy for goals to come.

Hard to score when you're basically putting 4th line AHL players out there in most of the games during the preseason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
A) Quoted for posterity.

B) You want a second shot at this?
Just have to be patient and allow them to work things out. This is the type of team I was expecting when I was watching their system in the preseason. Just all over the opposition in each of the last 5 periods now they seem to have figured things out. Hopefully this continues throughout the season as the Flames could very well win the division if this is how they play all year.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #263
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just have to be patient and allow them to work things out. This is the type of team I was expecting when I was watching their system in the preseason. Just all over the opposition in each of the last 5 periods now they seem to have figured things out. Hopefully this continues throughout the season as the Flames could very well win the division if this is how they play all year.
Patience is overrated. Panicking and overreacting is sooooo much more fun!
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #264
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Patience is overrated. Panicking and overreacting is sooooo much more fun!
If nothing else, the drama queens can catch their breathe for a couple days anyway...
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #265
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
A little bit too much dump and chase, but overall I like it. I would prefer more of a soviet style patience.
Well, I still feel the same way. The system looks good, but it neuters the Monahan line because they are terrible at the "chase" part.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #266
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You can see flashes of some really good hockey. Definitely different than what we've seen the past couple seasons.

Once they harness it all together, I think we're going to be looking quite good. I'm with you, I am a fan of the new system.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:09 AM   #267
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gulutzan's system? After giving the team a little time and their back to back road games......

fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fanman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #268
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a marathon not a sprint. I don't think any fan should apologize for being unhappy about the slow start as for example the two points they gave away to the Hurricanes (their only win) may be costly in March when they are scratching and clawing for points to stay in the playoff race. However beating the Hawks and Blues on the road shows that this team has at least the potential to be an improved hockey team this season. A win in Anaheim and I may even be a believer.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #269
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like how the team makes short passes and moves up the ice as a unit. I prefer that over stretch passes every time. However every once in a while you'll see a long stretch pass for a breakaway. While it's more exciting that way, it keeps the opposition guessing when you mix it up.

The Flames have the personal on D to perform good stretch passes, so if they see a good opportunity, they will take it. But moving up as a unit seems to work a lot better IMO.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #270
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
You can see flashes of some really good hockey. Definitely different than what we've seen the past couple seasons.

Once they harness it all together, I think we're going to be looking quite good. I'm with you, I am a fan of the new system.
It's still way too soon to cast judgement on this staff/system. We've seen some incredibly terrible hockey and some very organized, structured and exciting hockey from this team. The hard part is getting the team to stick with it and that's what separates the good coaches from the bad.

There are still some very tough games coming up in the next 10 days or so. If what we are seeing now translates through the pacific road swing, I'll be a believer that this group has some serious potential.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #271
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much closer puck support and tighter triangulation allowing a lot more speed and numbers through neutral zone, with the puck.
Hardly any stretch and posting at far blueline which was Hartley's strategy.
The current strategy is based on possession as opposed to chasing the game (puck).

Defensively , far more pressure on the puck with tighter coverage emphasizing contact and support. The tighter coverage ( box behind contact) allows for quicker transition to offense with closer support, once a turnover is created.

A lot more numbers with speed exiting the zone, allowing the Flames to have numbers with possession at opponents blue line.

The opposition is backed off because of speed and numbers.

Offensive zone possession is much more spread out with bigger triangulation, allowing more time and space.

4 check in offensive zone is far more aggressive with inside out strategy and weak side D pinching hard on rims and forwards tracking hard back through the middle to prevent outnumber situations and forcing opposition to make quick hard decisions by limiting time and space.

Pretty ragged until the last couple of games where the Flames created more chances and significantly limited opposition chances.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #272
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I'm not very good at interpreting coaching tactics from what I am seeing on my television set. For those who know, would you say that Gulutzen's system is more difficult to play than Hartley's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #273
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking them a while to break out of the habits they learned during Hartley's tenure.

I thought too that game when Grossmann was high up on the play was a mistake on his part but it seems that the coaching staff are okay with the d-men being that far up the offensive zone on a rush.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #274
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan is sure being forced to skate a lot more under Gulutzan, which might be why Backlund looks like he is shining under the new coach, emphasis on the centre making plays in all three zones.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #275
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, because forwards can now receive the puck from a d-man from even the defensive zone. Can't just troll the forward neutral zone anymore.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #276
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I'm not very good at interpreting coaching tactics from what I am seeing on my television set. For those who know, would you say that Gulutzen's system is more difficult to play than Hartley's?
Individual and team tactically it is more challenging as one needs to have vision and execute quickly and precisely in tight spaces. Requires much more puck support with eye contact and good receiving angles as well as being an option more than once as the play moves forward.

Far more small area stick to stick passes that are available only for a moment.

A huge struggle early for the Flames...

Things have melded nicely recently and their play looks more congruent.

To compare...Hartley relied on banking or rimming long passes to neutral zone with a lot of tips deep or touches to teammates coming from behind.

A lot of chasing to gain or regain the puck.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #277
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a marathon not a sprint. I don't think any fan should apologize for being unhappy about the slow start as for example the two points they gave away to the Hurricanes (their only win) may be costly in March when they are scratching and clawing for points to stay in the playoff race. However beating the Hawks and Blues on the road shows that this team has at least the potential to be an improved hockey team this season. A win in Anaheim and I may even be a believer.

I agree... Absolutely!!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #278
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Just Trelieve EE!!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #279
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #280
Armchair Quarterback
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When we win, I like it.

When we lose, I don't like it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armchair Quarterback For This Useful Post: