Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2023, 08:22 AM   #61
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

*queer people existing*

Conservative Weirdos: "Stop shoving it down my throat"
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #62
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPEDRED View Post
There’s lots I could say for you to comply with my ideals, yet I don’t.

Please, please tell us. I assure you we are all very eager for you to state these ideals.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #63
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
*queer people existing*

Conservative Weirdos: "Stop shoving it down my throat"
"They can do whatever they want, I just don't want to see it"

Is more or less the phrase I've heard from conservative baby boomers on more than one occasion.

This is their version of being upstanding, tolerant individuals in their minds.

Essentially, "they can exist as long as I don't ever have to be reminded that they exist so that I can go on pretending they don't"

One a few glasses of wine in went on to explain that it was because they parade their lifestyle in public aggressively in tight or skimpy outfits, revealing their genitalia.

Interesting sense of imagination that one had.

I wonder if he knew that skinny jeans were a universal fashion trend for a short time that wasn't just confined to the LGBT community and its plot to take over.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #64
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

Is more or less the phrase I've heard from conservative baby boomers on more than one occasion.

Essentially, "they can exist as long as I don't ever have to be reminded that they exist so that I can go on pretending they don't"

One a few glasses of wine in went on to explain that it was because they parade their lifestyle in public aggressively in tight or skimpy outfits, revealing their genitalia.

I wonder if he knew that skinny jeans were a universal fashion trend for a short time that wasn't just confined to the LGBT community and its plot to take over.
Reminds me of this
https://twitter.com/user/status/1405631531842949121
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 10:05 AM   #65
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Powerful men used to dress like this:

Spoiler!

What has society done to our men?!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:11 AM   #66
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
To me this is the issue. Why can’t players who don’t want to participate for any reason just sit out warmup, shutup about it and let the rest of the team wear them?
Personally, I think that the games should be played in these jerseys anyway, along with all the other warm-ups through the season (Chinese New Year, Black History, Indigenous, etc). Having them only be for warm-ups is kind of "who cares" as it is.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #67
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames should let me DJ Pride Night. It will all be selections from Hedwig and the Angry Inch as well as sound clips from James Whale movies.

EDIT: lots of Cher too

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 03-20-2023 at 10:21 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 10:58 AM   #68
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Is this settled, though? I have to say, I've heard people say they doubt this, both in person and media, and I myself am simply unsure how to challenge them. I'm curious to know how you can state that with such certainty.
Point me to a 10-14 year old who actively makes the decision to be a pariah, bullied relentlessly mentally, emotionally, physically and socially during the most important formative years of their life. Worst part is, their peers are normally the most tolerant, it's the adults in their lives, that should be there to support, protect and guide them that tend to do the most harm due to outdated ideals such as this.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:15 AM   #69
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I actually wasn't going to comment, but posts such as yours really bug me. I find it interesting that you're trying to group, ridicule, and stereotype all the people that object your opinion. The other opinion has merit too, and I will try to share some of it.

First of all, I have a firm believe that all people regardless of sexual orientation should have the same rights. That includes public displays of affection, marriage, participation in sports, the ability to have children, and all aspects of life.

I think that most of the people that are objecting pride parades and pride nights do it from a fear of reverse discrimination. For example, they don't want to lose out on a job just because they're straight. How in your mind would a Flames Straight Night be received? I'm pretty sure that there would be quite a few people unhappy with that notion, because it's not inclusive, not for everyone etc. Okay, you can argue that every regular night is a Straight Night because that's the majority, but here we are trying to include everyone and so it doesn't really convey the idea that your rights shouldn't be infringed upon just because you're straight.

The thing that I in particular oppose is the participation of transgender athletes in women sports. It's not that I think they should be excluded from sports, but they gain an unfair advantage, and should have their own division. Here I'm of the opinion that athletes are very competitive, and there will be individuals that will undergo a sex change just so they could get an advantage. The same argument applies to sending a trans woman that's guilty of rape to a women prison. I also think that women washrooms should be off limits to anyone but women, because it can make women feel unsafe. Those are real issues that society needs to find solutions to, and blindly supporting equality doesn't address them.

Finally, I hope that each individual would be able to be comfortable by being who he/she really is. I hope that someone who's gay wouldn't have to hide it, and pretend he/she's straight. I also hope that straight individuals wouldn't want to pretend they're gay or undergo a sex change just in order to feel more special, be more easily included in society, or have an unfair advantage.

Last edited by gvitaly; 03-20-2023 at 11:29 AM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:16 AM   #70
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

no message

Last edited by Eric Vail; 03-20-2023 at 11:17 AM. Reason: decided to stay out of it
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:33 AM   #71
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post

I think that most of the people that are objecting pride parades and pride nights do it from a fear of reverse discrimination. For example, they don't want to lose out on a job just because they're straight. How in your mind would a Flames Straight Night be received? I'm pretty sure that there would be quite a few people unhappy with that notion, because it's not inclusive, not for everyone etc. Okay, you can argue that every regular night is a Straight Night because that's the majority, but here we are trying to include everyone and so it doesn't really convey the idea that your rights shouldn't be infringed upon just because you're straight.

The thing that I in particular oppose is the participation of transgender athletes in women sports. It's not that I think they should be excluded from sports, but they gain an unfair advantage, and should have their own division. Here I'm of the opinion that athletes are very competitive, and there will be individuals that will undergo a sex change just so they could get an advantage. The same argument applies to sending a trans woman that's guilty of rape to a women prison. I also don't think that women washrooms should be off limits to anyone but women, because it can make women feel unsafe. Those are real issues that society needs to find solutions to, and blindly supporting equality doesn't address them.
So many things that haven't happened and logical fallacies.
Maybe you should have listened to your gut and kept your mouth shut.

"Reverse discrimination" isn't and has never been a thing.

No one, and I mean no one, including the Trans folks in my life are going to transition to get an 'edge' in sports. That is, frankly, asinine. Not to mention that the fact that when folks are on hormones to support their gender affirming care your body changes DRASTICALLY.

Trans women are women. Bottom line. Nothing beyond social convention is preventing a man from walking into a women's washroom right now if they have bad intentions. To imply to that trans women aren't actually women or that trans men aren't men and should use the bathroom of the sex organs they were born with is asinine. Because you're suggesting that a trans man who has been taking testatorine for years use the women's bathroom. I highly suspect a women may feel more uncomfortable when the trans man with a beard is in the women's bathroom only becasue they may or may not have a vagina.

OH and if all of that makes you uneasy the solution is to have single all gender washrooms like on an airplane or in your ####ing house.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:35 AM   #72
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here I'm of the opinion that athletes are very competitive, and there will be individuals that will undergo a sex change just so they could get an advantage. T
Don't be ####ing ridiculous.

Jesus Christ, this type of #### makes you look idiotic.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:40 AM   #73
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

My two cents:

If Reimer wants to sit out warm up, have at 'er. If it's his legitimate religious belief then that's his belief. However, my issue is he did a press release stating why. Just sit out and do your thing. By doing that you are respecting your beliefs while still being friends with members of the community (I do find it odd that you'd be friends with someone who is gay but against them having rights due to your religious beliefs, but that's neither here nor there).

Secondly, kinda wish Flames Pride Night was against the Sharks, but again, that's just me being mischievous.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:53 AM   #74
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anything, it's good that these threads are luring the people who were unconscious of their wonky beliefs/fears to air them here so we can work through their misconceptions and misunderstandings of what being gay or transgender means.

Maybe we shouldn't chase them away with tridents, but instead help them. This might be the only place where they'll air these thoughts and have potentially productive dialogue with people not within the circles where they adopted said beliefs.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:54 AM   #75
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If anything, it's good that these threads are luring the people who were unconscious of their wonky beliefs/fears to air them here so we can work through their misconceptions and misunderstandings of what being gay or transgender means.

Maybe we shouldn't chase them away with tridents, but instead help them. This might be the only place where they'll air these thoughts and have potentially productive dialogue with people not within the circles where they adopted said beliefs.
The dude just said athletes would change genders to win.

That is stupid.

That should be highlighted and mocked.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #76
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #77
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Personally, I think that the games should be played in these jerseys anyway, along with all the other warm-ups through the season (Chinese New Year, Black History, Indigenous, etc). Having them only be for warm-ups is kind of "who cares" as it is.
Would be cool but you know it's about licensing, trademarks and money. They can't even sell these jerseys.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:03 PM   #78
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Don't be ####ing ridiculous.

Jesus Christ, this type of #### makes you look idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The dude just said athletes would change genders to win.

That is stupid.

That should be highlighted and mocked.
Okay, would athletes take steroids, or other drugs to win even if they put their health at risk? How about body builders? I think you underestimate the competitiveness of some people. Would Joe Rogan be an authority on MMA fights? because he shares a similar opinion to mine when it comes to transgender athletes fighting women, and he's been in that business for quite a long time. I'm sure I can find a video where he discusses it.

You're argument is essentially that I'm an idiot, as I mentioned personal attacks are easy and make you sound ignorant.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:04 PM   #79
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually wasn't going to comment, but posts such as yours really bug me. I find it interesting that you're trying to group, ridicule, and stereotype all the people that object your opinion. The other opinion has merit too, and I will try to share some of it.

First of all, I have a firm believe that all people regardless of sexual orientation should have the same rights. That includes public displays of affection, marriage, participation in sports, the ability to have children, and all aspects of life.

The thing that I in particular oppose is the participation of transgender athletes in women sports. It's not that I think they should be excluded from sports, but they gain an unfair advantage, and should have their own division. Here I'm of the opinion that athletes are very competitive, and there will be individuals that will undergo a sex change just so they could get an advantage. The same argument applies to sending a trans woman that's guilty of rape to a women prison. I also think that women washrooms should be off limits to anyone but women, because it can make women feel unsafe. Those are real issues that society needs to find solutions to, and blindly supporting equality doesn't address them.

Finally, I hope that each individual would be able to be comfortable by being who he/she really is. I hope that someone who's gay wouldn't have to hide it, and pretend he/she's straight. I also hope that straight individuals wouldn't want to pretend they're gay or undergo a sex change just in order to feel more special, be more easily included in society, or have an unfair advantage.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 12:19 PM   #80
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what it’s worth I don’t put much stock in Joe Rogan as an authority on trans folks.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post: