Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
IMO, this current contract was his 'bridge' deal. He played out his entry level deal with us, and then signed a 1yr deal with us last summer.

Now I don't believe you go re-signing him under the assumption that he will match this production every season going forward. Bouma's agent will leverage this season against Treliving, while Treliving will counter with the 2013/14 season. The end deal falls in the middle, for what you'd pay a 12G + 15A, heart and soul, 3rd line banger. Something like a 3yr deal @ $2M per.

I can't see Prust dollars, as he was a UFA.
I agree with everything you said except that this was a bridge contract. It was a show me contract. A bridge contract when done right takes him into a few years of what would otherwise be UFA status - like Brodie's.

I do like your suggested contract, although I think he might make a decent argument for $2.5M. I'd give him that, but lengthen the term.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #82
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I give Bouma ~30pts money even if he's only a ~20pts guy after this season. Does any player on this roster have more intangibles than him? Speaking of Prust, wish we had him back -- him and Bouma on the same line would be awesome.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #83
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
I give Bouma ~30pts money even if he's only a ~20pts guy after this season. Does any player on this roster have more intangibles than him? Speaking of Prust, wish we had him back -- him and Bouma on the same line would be awesome.
You can't overpay for intangibles though. That might not be fair, or even right, but contending teams get intangibles for value, and pay for points. It's true that the Flames could probably be fine to overpay Bouma for the next few years, but if you want him around after that, when they maybe need to be more cap conscious, you also can't pay him now in a fashion that makes him unaffordable later or you have to slap him in the face later with asking for a pay cut, that's not good either.

We love him, but you simply can't overpay for Bouma at any point, unless you are confident he's a going to be close to a 20 goal guy. It's the way the league is, you pay for points, less so for intangibles, despite how valuable they are.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #84
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouma is a hard guy to sign. Not because he is difficult in contract negotions but because of his worth vs his perceived worth. Not a 20 goal guy so don't pay him much, but the guy goes to and through the wall for you. He won't play much past 30 years with how hard he is on his body, so in that aspect he would need to be rewarded for his sacrifices to the team. The problem is how people see the bottom line. For many peoples eyes salary and scoring are the correlation of a player's worth. So a fan of the Philadelphia Flyers would have looked at Bouma's stats, maybe even looked at how he performed in the AHL and WHL and they would wonder why are the Flames bothering to waste a spot on Bouma? Yet, the Flames fans who watch every game (or most) see Bouma's value to the team. Thankfully fans don't assign a players worth or every team would be in cap hell.

So, what is the proper contract for Bouma? I wonder if Treliving tries to sign Bouma for a one year contract at double the annual salary with the notion that it will go up to the 2.5M or more per year range on a long term deal if he can score somewhere within the same range or better, otherwise he'll only get 2.5M at the very most.

From Bouma's standpoint, he's going to want to get as much as he can, and as quickly as he can because with the way he plays his body won't let him have a very long career, and once he has to take it down a notch he won't be the same player any more.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #85
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
that's the contract that Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat got last year. Sorry, I love Bouma, but 3.33/3 is too much for one good season.
I think that is the perfect contract. Flames have the space, Bouma has definitely earned it. Would be a good message to young guys coming into the lineup - Work your ass off every shift, get rewarded.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #86
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
I think that is the perfect contract. Flames have the space, Bouma has definitely earned it. Would be a good message to young guys coming into the lineup - Work your ass off every shift, get rewarded.
3.33 for Bouma is too much.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #87
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
They have the space now, but they'll need it when Monahan, Gaudreau, Russell, Giordano, Hudler, and Bennett all need big dollars, which aside from Bennett, that time is going to come sooner rather than later.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #88
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2- 2.5 mill would be great.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #89
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
3.33 for Bouma is too much.
I thought I would take a look at who else in the NHL currently has an average contract value around $3MM per year - this is what I found:

Charlie Coyle, Minnesota - Avg Value $3.2MM 11G, 25A, 34Pts
Martin Hanzel, Arizona - Avg Value $3.1MM 8G, 16A, 24Pts
Matt Stajan, Calgary - Avg Value $3.1MM 7G, 9A, 16Pts
Andrew Cogliano, Anaheim - Avg Value $3.0MM 14G, 12A, 26Pts
Paul Gaustad, Nashville - Avg Value $3.25MM 4G, 9A, 13Pts
Leo Komarov, Toronto - Avg Value $2.95MM 8G, 17A. 25Pts

Lance Bouma, Calgary 16G, 17A, 33Pts

Out of this group only Charlie Coyle is showing better production than Bouma. $3MM average annual value does not look outrageous for Boums.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #90
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
that's the contract that Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat got last year. Sorry, I love Bouma, but 3.33/3 is too much for one good season.
Johnson has 67 points, Palat 57
Bouma has 33
I love Bouma too, but you're completely right.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #91
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Johnson has 67 points, Palat 57
Bouma has 33
I love Bouma too, but you're completely right.
But will those guys block multiple shots with their glove?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #92
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Out of this group only Charlie Coyle is showing better production than Bouma. $3MM average annual value does not look outrageous for Boums.
True... but I thought the Stajan contract was bad the second it was signed and when I ask myself if I would would want the others on those tickets the answer tends to be no.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #93
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought I would take a look at who else in the NHL currently has an average contract value around $3MM per year - this is what I found:

Some of those are overpaid. Johnson and Palat signed 3m contracts too.

I love what Bouma brings to the team, but I don't want us overpaying to keep him when we will need the extra money for future signings/extensions.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #94
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

All of those are UFAs, right? IMO you don't overpay an RFA - you sign them to term to get value.

You could argue that it doesn't matter, but then I can list a fair number of contracts where guys are paid less than what you want to pay Bouma and have more points, as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #95
Yappin Tappin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else think Bouma should be given time on the 2nd unit PP?

I think he'd be a much more effective player, parking himself in front of the net as a screen and going for tips or rebounds, than what Raymond currently offers on the PP (which in my opinion is very little).
Yappin Tappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #96
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappin Tappin View Post
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else think Bouma should be given time on the 2nd unit PP?

I think he'd be a much more effective player, parking himself in front of the net as a screen and going for tips or rebounds, than what Raymond currently offers on the PP (which in my opinion is very little).
Bouma cuold get a shot. But Raymond was excellent on his 40 seconds of PP yesterday and probably was robbed of a point on one of the only decent saves of the night. And being in front of the net isn't his job, though IMO he went there last night.

If you take him out for Bouma to go to the net, who is the puck carrier/shooter? The other guys on the second unit were Jooris and Backlund. I'd say if you replaced someone it would be Jooris, not Raymond.

ETA: I know everyone hates Raymond and loves Bouma, and Bouma is a more complete player. But production-wise (and that's what the PP is about) they are about equal this season as far as GPG and PPG go.

Last edited by GioforPM; 03-30-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #97
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A hundred grand per point.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #98
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Teams like Chicago are successful long term because they have the NEXT bouma available for when this one gets offered an over-priced contract by some other team.

Hard to do that? Sure....but that's why there are only a few elite organizations.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #99
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Teams like Chicago are successful long term because they have the NEXT bouma available for when this one gets offered an over-priced contract by some other team.

Hard to do that? Sure....but that's why there are only a few elite organizations.
?

Chicago gave big contracts to guys like Brandon Bollig and Bryan Bickell. They already had to move Bollig last offseason for a 3rd rounder due to cap squeeze.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #100
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
?

Chicago gave big contracts to guys like Brandon Bollig and Bryan Bickell. They already had to move Bollig last offseason for a 3rd rounder due to cap squeeze.
which was a nice trade for Chicago.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boum! , boumtown , mo mony mo problems , payday!