Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #81
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
So stoked to see Iggy play well. I was very impressed when I saw him play against Edmonton and Vancouver. He looked dangerous, was going to the front of the net, and had some nice chemistry with Duchene. He obviously isn't as quick with his shot release like he used to be but he's still extremely dangerous and it's a credit to his fitness. I hope he plays to 40 and signs a one day year contract with the Flames and retires wins the Cup as a Flame.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #82
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with Iginla wasn't that he didn't try hard, or give it all as a Flame...he did that for sure. He was also a great leader, and IMO it really is impossible to compare him to Giordano as I think it really is the Coach/Captain combination that defines leadership.

D.Sutter/Iginla great combo. Hartley/Gio great combo. B.Sutter/Iginla terrible combo.

The biggest issue with Iginla here was that he wanted to play an offensive style that he thought would make the team more successful, and in retrospect it maybe wasn't the best way for that team to win. Especially since we had a junior coach pushing a defensive system it was a combo that was destined to fail.

Even though I would say the style the Flames play now is pretty offensive and aggressive, it is hard to say if he would be successful in it due to the commitment needed to a strong back check, and for wingers to cover pinching d-men when necessary.

In the end I am happy to see him have some individual success in Colorado, but even happier that the team moved on and no longer has that "build around one star" mindset.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #83
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I can understand some sympathy towards Iggy picking the wrong team. The Avs appeared to be on the rise. But Cammy had to have known what he was getting into when he signed with the Devils – there wasn’t much chance of winning there.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #84
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I can understand some sympathy towards Iggy picking the wrong team. The Avs appeared to be on the rise. But Cammy had to have known what he was getting into when he signed with the Devils – there wasn’t much chance of winning there.
Hard to turn down a 5x5 or whatever it was though as a 32 year old.

I'm sure 99.9% of players would pick that contract over a 1 year deal from a potential contender.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #85
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I'm sure 99.9% of players would pick that contract over a 1 year deal from a potential contender.
I was just about to post that as well. He probably lives in NYC too, where I am sure being a millionaire has it's perks.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #86
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:

Sure.
I was reacting to this statement:
"Poor Iggy and Cammy this year. Gambled on the wrong teams for playoff contention."

I don't think that's true for Cammy.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #87
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure.
"Poor Iggy and Cammy this year. Gambled on the wrong teams for playoff contention."

I agree. Cammy definitely signed for the money. He would have stayed with us if he didn't care to be on a non-playoff team (though, we are in the playoff hunt)!

For Iggy, I still think the Avs' are having an off year. MacKinnon and Duchene should be way better next year.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure.

Yeah, I found that odd because he made comments indicating that he didnt want to be part of a rebuild and that the Flames wouldnt be competing for a cup within his window to win but to then go and play in New Jersey?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #89
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stat Update: Iginla has seven games remaining to hit 30 goals.

He needs 4 more goals, currently sitting at 26G-29A-55PTS

Five more points for 60 as well.

They do play the Oilers so he could get the bulk of it in that game.

Colorado also plays LA and Winnipeg, so cheer hard for Iggy that game
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #90
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The utmost respect to Iggy if he can hit 30 goals again.

Proves the doubters (me included) wrong every year.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #91
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I found that odd because he made comments indicating that he didnt want to be part of a rebuild and that the Flames wouldnt be competing for a cup within his window to win but to then go and play in New Jersey?
I'm sure to Cammy these two situations aren't close to the same.

One team is definitely rebuilding, looking to get younger and pushing vets out in favour of new blood.

The other team is a plush retirement home for fat sassy cats that gets long summer breaks.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #92
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Hope he gets to 40 goals and 80 points, esp hat tricks against LA and Peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I agree. Cammy definitely signed for the money. He would have stayed with us if he didn't care to be on a non-playoff team (though, we are in the playoff hunt)!

For Iggy, I still think the Avs' are having an off year. MacKinnon and Duchene should be way better next year.
Outside of Barrie, their defense isn't great. I think they will be a playoff bubble team again next year and for the forseeable future. Its not all just shiney, flashy scorers. Top 4 D are just too hard to acquire.

Last edited by Phanuthier; 03-30-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Phanuthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #93
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sure.

I don't think it's true for Iginla, either.

He likely chose term over a better chance to win. He might have thought Colorado gave him a good chance to win relative to the term they were offering, but it obviously wasn't the main reason or he would have signed somewhere else like Brad Richards on a 1 year deal for low money.

Cammalleri did the same thing.

Can't fault them for having different priorities in the latter stages of their careers. Look at Doan for the same thing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #94
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think it's true for Iginla, either.

He likely chose term over a better chance to win. He might have thought Colorado gave him a good chance to win relative to the term they were offering, but it obviously wasn't the main reason or he would have signed somewhere else like Brad Richards on a 1 year deal for low money.

Cammalleri did the same thing.

Can't fault them for having different priorities in the latter stages of their careers. Look at Doan for the same thing.
Cammy yes, but Iggy I don't think so.

I think he chose Colorado because he thought they had a legitimate chance to win. If he wanted max dollar and max term he would've went with the Islanders who offered him 4 years vs the 3 with Colorado.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #95
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla playing for the Isles would have been all kinds of awesome.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #96
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Iginla playing for the Isles would have been all kinds of awesome.
They've got a good team this year, they're probably in with a shout for the next few years.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #97
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it's basically summer and real hockey topics are few and far between (except the SCF obviously). So anyway I was daydreaming today and...

Iggy becomes UFA in 2017-2018, and he'll be 40. I highly doubt anyone offers him a multi-year deal, in fact there probably won't be 30 teams lined up to sign him.

I still think he'll have something to give in his 40th year, and given the rate the Flames young players are progressing, they should be darn close to being a contending team by that time.

I would love to see Iggy sign a 1 year deal (money doesn't matter since it's 1 year, so whatever market value is) and watch him play bottom 2 lines for the Flames. Besides the obvious things like leadership, experience and the effect he'd have on the fans, I think Iggy could bring a positive hockey results in his final year in the NHL given his track record for fitness. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 10 to 20 goals from him. He could be our new Bollig, but with goals.

The ultimate would be watching Gio hand the Cup to Iggy and have Bob Cole call it. Can you imagine a repeat of THIS?

You've done it Iggy! You've done it!

If you are opposed to signing a 40 year old Iggy to a one year deal (giving up nothing) why?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #98
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you are opposed to signing a 40 year old Iggy to a one year deal (giving up nothing) why?
Because that ship has sailed. I get the nostalgic angle but it is over and there will be better players on the roster to fill in a 4th line role than Iginla.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #99
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I totally agree with this idea... I would even like to see him back a season earlier than that. Figure he would be a great fit and seems like a guy who will continue to put up points in his forties just like selanne and Jagr. Love the idea of iggy returning as a complimentary piece... Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with 25+ goals at that age too.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #100
Big Erned Nevergivn
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I would love having Iggy back when we are contenders: IF at that time he is an effective bottom sixer and legitimately the best choice for a 3-4 line RW.

As it stands now we have very little coming down the pipeline at RW, but if we had a someone young, fast and effective like Ferland but RW I would not enjoy replacing said player with Iggy for nostalgia's sake.
Big Erned Nevergivn is offline   Reply With Quote