Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2015, 12:00 AM   #281
TapeToTape
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliak View Post
INJURY PREVENTION

Mouth guards have a role in preventing dental and oro-facial injury but have not been shown to decrease concussion occurrence.
Even though a large portion of the hockey community has been under the impression for years that wearing a mouth guard helps prevent a concussion, Dr. Cantu offered up a simple explanation as to why that's not true.

"No study that mouth guards prevent concussions has been done," said Dr. Cantu. "But they do prevent injuries to the teeth so I would recommend all collision-sports players wear mouth guards."

I can post many many more links, but the myth that mouthguards prevent concussions is not true.
From the quote, you can't say that the myth is not true. It doesn't look tested one way or another. Maybe your links have more info, but no proof = not proven. It doesn't mean not true.

Oh, and nice win for the Flames. I feel more confident about them playing LA than Dallas with the way they match up.

Money As Debt
Money Masters
Positive Money TedX talk

Last edited by TapeToTape; 03-31-2015 at 12:03 AM.
TapeToTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:04 AM   #282
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
I don't think it matters

We are all Gelinas.
We are all Eliminators.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-31-2015 at 12:27 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 AM   #283
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Start the car!!!
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:37 AM   #284
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit Jonas Hiller scares me because I thought he stays deep in the net too much and just like a robot. But he did play well especially late in the game when Dallas was just throwing everything at him. It's good that no matter who the Flames starts in net, both goaltender Hiller and Ramo are capable of stealing the games for us.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #285
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Amazing game, Dallas out played us for most of it but we found a way to get the 2 points! Love this team.

Now, that hit on Monahan... WTF!!!! Why did no one kill Ritchie after that hit? I was in my basement screaming at no one to send in McGratten. Fighting might be dead, but that Ritchie needs his scull caved in.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 AM   #286
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
Amazing game, Dallas out played us for most of it but we found a way to get the 2 points! Love this team.

Now, that hit on Monahan... WTF!!!! Why did no one kill Ritchie after that hit? I was in my basement screaming at no one to send in McGratten. Fighting might be dead, but that Ritchie needs his scull caved in.

Cheers to that. Getting the win was the most important thing of course but wish Jones would have just mauled him immediately. Lucky monahan wasn't hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:13 AM   #287
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Russell needs some kind of recognition. Maybe not a star, maybe not mr. Clutch. But certainly an unsung hero, and earning his next paycheck daily. Right now he is our number one. He is our Gio!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:43 AM   #288
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

I actually don't think the flames were outplayed by a large margin. Hiller gaffe and that offside goal aside, Dallas was lucky to be in this. Not to mention the headhunt on Monahan that only got two minutes. Glad we sewered the stars playoff chances.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 AM   #289
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It doesn't protect teeth, it helps prevent concussions
sorry to break it to you...but that's a myth.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/2/81.full
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:52 AM   #290
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

1st in GF in Pacific.
Tied for 2nd in the West.
Tied for 4th the NHL.

Nice.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:44 AM   #291
expatflame
Formerly FlamesFaninChina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
1st in GF in Pacific.
Tied for 2nd in the West.
Tied for 4th the NHL.

Nice.
But according to everyone else, the Flames have no talent, can't score, lucky to be in the playoffs, blah, blah blah
expatflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:31 AM   #292
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
...Truth is, make it or not, maybe the Flames are getting a little lucky this year to be in the playoff fight to the end, but who cares. What's also true, is that the Flames were suppose to be in the category of teams that wasn't even getting a sniff, the Oilers and Coyotes of the world. The fact is, it's not luck as to why we aren't in that category, we are much better than that, much better than where we were suppose to be, by a long shot. So regardless, we have turned a corner, and are much further along than we were expected to be and where the Oilers are.
This. So much this.

I expect that this season's Flames are probably not a better team than either LA or Winnipeg, and are possibly also not better than Dallas and maybe Colorado. But that's not really the point. The point is that they are demonstrably and infinitely better now than they were last year. They are better than the Sharks, and infinitely better than the Oilers. They are looking more like an emerging good team than anything—more like a team who WILL put everything together in a couple years' time, once players like Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Bouma, Ferland, and maybe Jooris, Shore and Colborne come more fully into their own; once players like Bennett, Poirier, Ortio, Granlund, Wotherspoon and Morrison become full time NHLers.

Quote:
They can try to make themselves feel better, even if we make it that it's all a big fluke. But even if luck is giving us a few extra steps or positions in the standings this year, if Oilers fans are expecting us to be joining them next year at the bottom of the barrel, they are going to be sorely disappointed I think because we aren't even close to overachieving by that much this year, and these guys are just going to get better.
I think this is probably a 10–12 place team next year, and I'm okay with that because of what projects forward in 2017 and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-31-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 AM   #293
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
and infinitesimally better than the Oilers
I'm sure you meant infinitely.

Because being slightly better than no good is not what the Flames are!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #294
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The Corsians must be stroking out today. No way the Flames should have come away with 2 Pts but will take it!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 AM   #295
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ thanked for 'Corsians'
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 AM   #296
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

lol Corsians...so that would make the people that only rely on advanced stats Corsists?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:48 AM   #297
debil
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This. So much this.

I expect that this season's Flames are probably not a better team than either LA or Winnipeg, and are possibly also not better than Dallas and maybe Colorado. But that's not really the point. The point is that they are demonstrably and infinitely better now than they were last year. They are better than the Sharks, and infinitesimally better than the Oilers. They are looking more like an emerging good team than anything—more like a team who WILL put everything together in a couple years' time, once players like Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Bouma, Ferland, and maybe Jooris, Shore and Colborne come more fully into their own; once players like Bennett, Poirier, Ortio, Granlund, Wotherspoon and Morrison become full time NHLers.

I think this is probably a 10–12 place team next year, and I'm okay with that because of what projects forward in 2017 and beyond.
On the other hand oilers were some time ago at the same stage, same leafs. As long as you're not regular playoffs team the rebuild is not done. Improving from bottom team to playoffs borderline is easier than the next step. That's where some teams failed,
debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #298
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It doesn't protect teeth, it helps prevent concussions
It does both. Hence the 15-$30,000 dental covereage that comes with most mouthguards
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #299
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
It does both. Hence the 15-$30,000 dental covereage that comes with most mouthguards
Huh. I knew the concussion protection was controversial at best, but I was under the impression it did nothing for teeth
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #300
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, you can see how much the boys want this, they are putting it all on the line, trying so hard. Unfortunately you can jus see how tight they get protecting the lead there in the third, just stuck in quick sand because they are tight.

All that matters is that they found a way, and how can you fault the effort. Just hope they find a way to play their aggressive game down the stretch, it will be better on my heart and on the their record I'm sure.
This is precisely why these games - and having a competitive team vs a bottom feeder - are so important. You have to experience them, and learn from them, in order to learn how to win. Playoffs too.

These games have immeasurable value for a rebuilding team. Monahan, Gaudreau and Brodie are getting Veteran Schooling here.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jg=vg , rafaformayor