Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #1
Sheva #7
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Canceling cable

I'm with Telus and finding that except for Flames games on Sportsnet channels as wells as theScore, I don't want really watch that many of their crappy channels and the bundles, for which i'm paying $90/month (includes internet).

So i'm thinking of canceling the TV portion and leaving the internet only, it as I have GameCente ICE and can just watch the games online...however the downside is that I will be missing Coaches Corner and the analysis by the panel (Friedman, etc.). Another thing is that when I have people over, I am concerned that there will be nothing to watch on TV. As despite being crappy, it MuchMusic and other entertainment packs still give you something to watch for when people are over...

Anyway the question I have is if anyone around here canceled their cable and if so, how do you guys get by? I've thought about Netflix, Hulu?, any others online suggestions? Thanks!
Sheva #7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I literally only use cable when I'm watching hockey. Everything else I either watch on Netflix or YouTube.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:20 AM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed. But why does my wife want to watch cable shows? Ditch the cable or the wife? Which on is cheaper?
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 03:52 AM   #4
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Massive thread here. http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=127581

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Kodi/OA Antenna

For local channels get an hd OA antenna and you can pickup the local channels which would get you coaches corner. Keep in mind most cbc games can be picked up off their website on Saturday night.

Download Kodi/Tvmc and you can watch tv shows, movies, sports channels and news from there. Many of the add ons have live tv too so you can pickup other things that cable normally has and it is free. We watch shows all the time new and old both. You just need to search for the add on that has what you want to watch.

Just run an hdmi cable from your laptop to tv if you are not doing so and watch your gamecentre and everything else and save the cable bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva #7 View Post
I'm with Telus and finding that except for Flames games on Sportsnet channels as wells as theScore, I don't want really watch that many of their crappy channels and the bundles, for which i'm paying $90/month (includes internet).

So i'm thinking of canceling the TV portion and leaving the internet only, it as I have GameCente ICE and can just watch the games online...however the downside is that I will be missing Coaches Corner and the analysis by the panel (Friedman, etc.). Another thing is that when I have people over, I am concerned that there will be nothing to watch on TV. As despite being crappy, it MuchMusic and other entertainment packs still give you something to watch for when people are over...

Anyway the question I have is if anyone around here canceled their cable and if so, how do you guys get by? I've thought about Netflix, Hulu?, any others online suggestions? Thanks!
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #6
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Keep in mind most cbc games can be picked up off their website on Saturday night.
I thought CBC stopped providing a live feed on their website after the Rogers deal happened.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I somebow get Shaw to lower my bill by 40 ---> Telus offers promo to cancel Shaw and switch .. Initially 30 cheaper .. Decline .. Two months later, 70/month cheaper for year, 30 after --> Shaw begs me to stay for the kids (100/mo off for 6 months, 70 off for 6 months, 40 cheaper after.. Faster net+HBO+ no contract which Telus wanted 3yrs.. Oh and added unltd NA long distance and retro'd a $50 long distance credit to keep my long distance relationship groovy)

I felt like I stole something. Can't complain at all right now .. I dunno how it is in calgary, but with Telus aggressively hunting new customers (just got optik here last year), there are some crazy deals to be had. I have a friend on Telus who almost matched my internet / tv / phone convo price, and is paying 91 or something for a while.

Seems so crazy, although the fact Shaw was going in dry @210, then 170 monthly for me for a long time likely leaves this as a net -$$$ for me. Happy for today though
Old 11-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
HerbalTesla
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I thought CBC stopped providing a live feed on their website after the Rogers deal happened.
It's still available but I find it's often hidden and difficult to locate on their website.
HerbalTesla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HerbalTesla For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalTesla View Post
It's still available but I find it's often hidden and difficult to locate on their website.
Yeah its there but its like they do not want you to find it.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've cut my cord for 6 months now and I surprised myself how much I don't miss it.

For shows, I usually wait a few seasons and binge watched them on Netflix or disc. It is far more satisfactory this way than to wait a week for new episode to come out. This is the golden age of TV and just this year I watched True Detectives S1, Fargo S1, Game of Thrones (S1-5), Walking Dead (S1-5), Narcos S1 and I still have a list of shows to catch up with.

For sports, you can pay and watch online the 4 major leagues and get every game you desire without be subjecting to local blackout.

If there's a great game that everyone's talking about, like the Blue Jays vs Rangers Game 5, there're always options on the net if you can wait a day or two.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalTesla View Post
Interesting. I watched a few games last year on the CBC stream but haven't bothered to look this year because I read so many comments from people not being able to find the games that I was convinced it had been pulled.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #12
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have the CBC Sports app, they usually stream HNIC games through there. I've watched hockey the last couple weekends with the app. It's pretty good quality too. Much better than most of the "free" streams you can find on places like reddit.com/r/nhlstreams

We cut the cord more than a year ago. Most of what we watch is on Netflix, but there are a few shows we buy on iTunes. You don't get the episodes until usually later that night or the next day after they air, but it's not too bad. Just sucks for shows like TWD where avoiding spoilers is really hard. iTunes doesn't carry HBO shows like this though (they get them the same time the full season Bluray/DVD sets come out) so it doesn't work all that well for Thrones. Of course, with Bell's new deal with Corus and HBO, maybe that will change.

As a Telus subscriber, you might want to check out CraveTV. Tons of back catalog HBO stuff including The Wire, Sopranos, Curb, etc. That will keep you busy for a while if you haven't seen any of those shows yet and it's only like $4 a month or something like that.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cut the cord about 3 months ago with no regrets. I spent about 6 months preparing my wife for it though...casually bringing up the concept, talking about value received for money paid. Then, i started to slowly shrink our cable package. She would lose a channel she watched every month(ish) but didn't lose them all at once. As a result she changed her routines and shows slowly, then all of a sudden there was just no more cable and that wasn't a big deal.

change management 101
Old 11-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #14
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default Canceling cable

Recent cord cutter myself

I think you'll find the common sentiment is "I'm surprised how little I miss it" and it's true. Whatever place watching cable shows had in your life is just filled by something else that's much cheaper and, honestly, a lot more interesting than just having Guy Fieri eating food in the background.

I'm still figuring it out myself but I'd say do it and if there are shows you really miss, you'll find them.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think you'll find the common sentiment is "I'm surprised how little I miss it" and it's true. Whatever place watching cable shows had in your life is just filled by something else that's much cheaper and, honestly, a lot more interesting than just having Guy Fieri eating food in the background.
Agreed. I used to just watch some useless HGTV or Food network shows when I have the TV. Now those time has been replaced by good shows and I jump from one good show to another. Cutting cord actually allows me to better use my TV watching time. I don't watch TV to kill time anymore.

Last edited by darklord700; 11-26-2015 at 10:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #16
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im terribad .. History is generally white noise in my main floor living area with sportsnet holding it down in my bedroom
Old 11-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to love History/Discovery, then the only decent thing to come out of History channel in years has been Vikings. Pawn Stars, Counting Cars, Ice Road Truckers...and lately there have been all those shows about ghosts & haunting. And the worst of all, Ancient Aliens. It drives me crazy, they're almost as annoying as TLC now.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #18
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I cut mine a year ago. There are many methods to watching what you need or want. Lots with Netflix etc, and lots in a grey area where payment isn't necessary. Google can help you find solutions. My wife doesn't miss cable, and it saves us ~$100 a month. But that 100 goes to life insurance now what we have a kid. lol.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cancelled cable 2 years ago and have been using an Android box. Haven't missed cable at all.

It was so hard to cancel though. They tried everything to keep me on, including just refusing to cancel and keep billing me as if I wouldn't notice.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another thing that is borderline criminal on Shaw's or Telus' part is they compress their signals to hell. Shows I tried to watch on Shaw or Telus just look terrible. Netflix HD isn't as good as blu ray but they are miles better than Shaw and Telus, and watchable on my 100" projector.
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post: