Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #681
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Yeah I could but it's a kijiji buy so it's unknown until I go see it.

And it's going into a new kitchen that I haven't wired yet- my illegal basement suite so I am mostly wondering how the wiring hooks up to the units in others experience? Is it just directly wired from the wall or do I plug it in or what?
If it's a full size cook top and oven you'll need a 14-50R wall plug (generic stove one) and a 50A breaker. The only way this could become a problem is if you have a gas stove right now as they don't usually build the house with the required breaker, wire and receptacle. If you're renovating anyways that should be a non issue.

Edit: it could be either wired for a plug or not. If it doesn't have a plug on the end, wire both blacks (one from the wall and one from the unit) together, both reds together, white or blue from the wall and white from the unit together and green/bare wires together.

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 11-25-2015 at 09:41 AM.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #682
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is looking for high quality hand-tools (screwdrivers, hex keys, bits etc.), PB Swiss is having their annual 30% off sale right now at http://www.pbtools.us/.

They are still expensive compared to what you get at Home Depot, but the quality is from a totally different planet. Swiss-made, lifetime warranty, this stuff is for life. After going through a lot of crappy multi-bit screwdrivers, I got an Insider 3 ratcheting screwdriver last year from PB Swiss, and have been adding to my toolbox whenever opportunity, and my wallet, allowed.

If you're like me and seemingly always building Ikea crap, their Hex keys are really handy. If you're looking at the screwdrivers, I'd especially recommend the Swissgrip handles that have some softer handles (unless you work really greasy environments, than the Multicraft ones are nice too).

Anyway, really nice quality stuff.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
V
Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #683
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hooray. "Structural" drywall and baseboards was keeping a corner of my flooring in place. So, should I use a wood glue, or just leave it? They are all small pieces that were surrounding a vent opening.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #684
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for recommendations on interior doors;

We've looked at the usual suspects (Lowe's, Home Depot, Rona) and found some that we're more or less satisfied with. Before making the purchase, any other locations worth looking at?

Ideally two-panel shaker style (pre-hung) but open to alternatives if there's a good cost savings.

As always, advice is appreciated!

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #685
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

As part of my renos I did all new doors; got nice solid shaker style from Windsor plywood. Opted for those as they're solid, and are all straight edges. The shaker ones I saw at HD, Lowes, were all the pressboard that are extruded and the panels are curved indents. Price wasn't that much more, maybe $100 all in a door I want to say?

They're not prehung, so you'll install the frame youself along with the door. I used those door hanging brackets (name escapes me) from HD.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #686
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post

We've looked at the usual suspects (Lowe's, Home Depot, Rona) and found some that we're more or less satisfied with. Before making the purchase, any other locations worth looking at?

Ideally two-panel shaker style (pre-hung) but open to alternatives if there's a good cost savings.

Timbertown or Windsor Plywood would be my two stops for doors.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #687
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

talk to Bigtime at Timbertown and end your search.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #688
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post

Another +1 for Timbertown NE.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #689
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

There is a guy on Kijiji who sells antique doors they recover from knockdowns. Super cheap if you're into stepping into a hippy twilight zone to make your purchase, and spend the rest of your winter stripping and painting.

We did this as we wanted our doors to match our 104 year old house for our reno, but god it was a lot of work.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:17 AM   #690
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got a picture of those doors Bill Bumface?
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #691
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
As part of my renos I did all new doors; got nice solid shaker style from Windsor plywood. Opted for those as they're solid, and are all straight edges. The shaker ones I saw at HD, Lowes, were all the pressboard that are extruded and the panels are curved indents. Price wasn't that much more, maybe $100 all in a door I want to say?

They're not prehung, so you'll install the frame youself along with the door. I used those door hanging brackets (name escapes me) from HD.
Do you notice any difference in terms of noise reduction with better doors like those?
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #692
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What underlayment is better for a concrete floor before putting laminate down? Saw a couple types of the regular stuff, then saw a cork product. Anyone used it?

Also, while at the HD yesterday, saw the license plate 'CGYPUCK'. Who has that?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #693
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it in a basement?

I used the Barricade 2x2 tiles and love them.

http://www.rona.ca/en/insulated-r32-...3-1-4-01925002
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #694
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So I am having trouble getting my dryer to fit in the closet. I get it all hooked up and push it in but the hose is binding against the wall as seen in the picture here. Do I have any other options besides punching a hole in the dryer and venting from the side and bringing it around to the back? This is a stacked washer dryer so I can't crawl over the top either once its in the closet. The one downstairs was vented through the side of the closet not the back and it hooked up effortlessly.

Spoiler for big pics

Spoiler!

In an ideal world I could just plug it in straight, the problem is that I need to pull the dryer out to hook everything up, thus extending the tubing all the way out.. then as you push it back in it obviously goes sideways.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #695
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the height the same? Maybe you could usr a short rigid pipe and it would plug in when you push it back. You don't want a big bend like you have.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #696
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

That is a good question, I am pretty sure the dryer is slightly higher (2-3 inches) than the vent in the wall. Would that work without the tape? Or is the tape more a precaution than the seal itself?

I understand the bend is bad and that isn't how I want to leave it, but it is the best I could get it for now. The hook up I did downstairs has a similar bend, not as severe, I should spend some time correcting that before we rent the suite.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #697
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
Do you notice any difference in terms of noise reduction with better doors like those?
I imagine they're much better than hollow core doors; but probably on par with the solid doors that are still extruded & filled with foam. Whatever route you go; I'd never go hollow core pressed doors. Not that much more to get something filled.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #698
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So I am having trouble getting my dryer to fit in the closet. I get it all hooked up and push it in but the hose is binding against the wall as seen in the picture here. Do I have any other options besides punching a hole in the dryer and venting from the side and bringing it around to the back? This is a stacked washer dryer so I can't crawl over the top either once its in the closet. The one downstairs was vented through the side of the closet not the back and it hooked up effortlessly.

Spoiler for big pics

Spoiler!

In an ideal world I could just plug it in straight, the problem is that I need to pull the dryer out to hook everything up, thus extending the tubing all the way out.. then as you push it back in it obviously goes sideways.
http://www.dryerbox.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #699
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Hrmm that seems like a pretty legit option, a bit of a hassle but at least it would fit properly. Better than just knocking the dry wall out and leaving it that way. The frustrating part is that we had tons of room to back in the garage, easily 1-2 feet but for some reason they made it as shallow as they could.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #700
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

That 'brand' looks to be sold locally but not easy big box stores. There must be a similar product sold at Lowes/Rona/HD in the HVAC section.