Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #21
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP thoughts and prayers
Old 11-23-2015, 10:33 PM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I hate reading stuff like that.

RIP and a hope for peace for the family who can gain comfort from knowing that in the end he was trying to help

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #23
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I met Mr. Bhullar in June and he is an outstanding person who cares deeply about his constituents. He was a pillar of the Sikh community and I teach in a predominantly Sikh school. Tomorrow will be sad.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #24
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

I white knuckled that drive about the same time. I'd guess about 20 mins ahead of that accident. I have never experienced black ice like that. Going slow, with 4wd and winter tires I was almost sideways a couple times.

I met Manmeet a couple times at events and he was very engaging. And seemed very well respected by his peers. Tragic for Alberta, but of corse especially for those close to him.

RIP
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #25
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

#nicetomanmeetyou trending on twitter right now. Not sure what that means or if I typed it correctly.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/nicetoma...twgr%5Ehashtag
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 PM   #26
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
#nicetomanmeetyou trending on twitter right now. Not sure what that means or if I typed it correctly.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/nicetoma...twgr%5Ehashtag
It was his election catchphrase, I believe.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:54 AM   #27
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
It was his election catchphrase, I believe.
I meant the twitter/trending/hashtag part, don't really understand it all that well.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #28
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Damn that is just sad.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I white knuckled that drive about the same time. I'd guess about 20 mins ahead of that accident. I have never experienced black ice like that. Going slow, with 4wd and winter tires I was almost sideways a couple times.
I wish semi drivers would slow down a bit more in poor weather. I get that they have a schedule but some of my worst highway experiences involve being passed by semis in poor conditions causing a white out or tailgating. I realize some of them do but a lot of these guys drive like they are invincible in poor weather.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #30
gildo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Very tragic & tough loss for the City of Calgary and Province of Alberta. Manmeet was a proud Sikh, proud Calgarian, proud Albertan and very proud Canadian. He was involved in poilitics but did not forget about the people who helped him get there so he was a strong advocate for all, especially vulnerable Albertans. His skills were so diverse to the point where he held many different portfolios as both an MLA and Minister.

He did a lot of behind the scenes stuff for development of schools, programs for seniors and people with disabilities, and with Alberta justice to try to help keep the streets of Calgary safe. He was very successful at a young age, and had so much more to offer he was just getting started. Not surprising that he passed cause he was helping others, that is the kind of guy he was.
gildo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gildo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #31
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wish semi drivers would slow down a bit more in poor weather. I get that they have a schedule but some of my worst highway experiences involve being passed by semis in poor conditions causing a white out or tailgating. I realize some of them do but a lot of these guys drive like they are invincible in poor weather.
Yup. I spend a lot of time on freeways, and I'm appalled at their speeding. I guess there are a lack of truckers, because there are many out there who lack professionalism to say the least.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #32
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he deserves a lot of credit for his advocacy on the bullying issues. He had a lot to offer. Thoughts to his family and friends. so very sad.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #33
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Terrible loss, RIP.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #34
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Apparently he did a lot of great work with the Homeless Foundation too. Not only is it tragic for him and his family, but all those people he would have continued to help for decades.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A true public servant.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #36
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

This video was shown at Mr. Bhullar's memorial service today:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...mily-1.3342745

Incredible man.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #37
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here is the obituary. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cal...3535&fhid=5934

It shocks me that he was only 35 years old.
RIP.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #38
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yup. I spend a lot of time on freeways, and I'm appalled at their speeding. I guess there are a lack of truckers, because there are many out there who lack professionalism to say the least.
It's not a lack of drivers, it's a lack of qualified drivers, a friend of mine works for TC and tells me at least 50% of big rig drivers are terrible/untrained and that many have never driven a car on snow cover roads let alone a tractor trailer. He is a big proponent of graduated licencing and tighter controls on training.

Scary stuff.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #39
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

There's a joke I remember from a long time ago, how it is best worded I can't remember, but it goes along the lines of, the difference between a politician and a statesman is, a statesman is no longer alive.

Here is someone who dedicated their life and energy to lots of good causes that most of us do not hear about. The daily chatter surrounding politics is full of not just debate, but also disdain for political parties and their members. I always thought of his as someone tied to Redford, and by association I didn't think much of him as a result.

I didn't know a lot about this fellow but its clear Alberta is weaker for his passing. He would have done good things for those around him, even if he wasn't always going to be a politician. Some of the transcripts of his statements in the Legislature are inspiring. Its also too bad that we don't really hear about a persons' good works until they pass. I suppose it doesn't sell advertisements.

He accomplished a lot in 35 short years.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #40
smithtofuhr86
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Kudos to the Calgary Flames last night for doing a moment of silence for Manmeet Bhullar before the game. He was a strong advocate for many and loved being a born and raised Calgarian. I know there was a lot of his relatives there last night because they were sitting near me and I was talking to them. This gesture meant a lot to them. Good job Flames and good job Calgarians for remembering this young man that had so much more to give our city, our province and our country but unfortunately it was cut short. Rest in peace.
smithtofuhr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smithtofuhr86 For This Useful Post: