Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #2681
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are people's thoughts on studded tires vs winter tires? And front wheel only or both? My girlfriend keeps slipping on her (kensington --> downtown) commute and it's got her a little freaked out about winter cycling. Are the studs worth it or would two good winter tires be a more practical option? Biggest problem is icy back alleys and a few uncleared paths.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #2682
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reviews I read were winter ties weren't great on ice, better on loose snow. I took mine for a quick spin on the ice today, and was amazed at how sturdy it was. I'll see how it goes, but I think for the $65 per tire, it would be worth it. I'm sure just a front would make a big difference for her though. With no hills, she could probably get away without the rear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #2683
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The reviews I read were winter ties weren't great on ice, better on loose snow. I took mine for a quick spin on the ice today, and was amazed at how sturdy it was. I'll see how it goes, but I think for the $65 per tire, it would be worth it. I'm sure just a front would make a big difference for her though. With no hills, she could probably get away without the rear.
That's with a studded tire (looking at your previous post)? How's the difference in ride quality / speed?
Old 11-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #2684
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No idea, just put them on this morning! Haven't done a ride yet. I'll let you know monday.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #2685
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Studs are slower and make you nervous to turn hard on dry days and it is fantastic going back to slick tires after, but days like last Wednesday are nearly un-rideable if you have to take any off angle side streets that were covered in ice.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #2686
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to go to the office this morning, so took the bike. The studs make a huge difference, I think I will be riding a lot more with them on. I'd say there worth it, as breaking a wrist kinda sucks. I rode very cautiously, as I hate falling but I think after a few days I'll have a lot more confidence on them. I did a few tests trying to get them to slide/lose grip and they held very well. Granted, it's warm today but I think they will work well.

They are slower, and had to work a bit harder, but not that bad.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #2687
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just got back from 3 weeks in Colorado at Barnett's. Awesome course. Way better than anything I've taken here in Calgary. We thoroughly covered everything you can think of on a bike and were tested throughout the weeks. The tests were time based and of course how well you did the work. I did 2 weeks of Advanced mechanics and 3 days of suspension. It's crazy how much easier it is to service rock shox than fox. Two completely different approaches to suspension. Colorado Springs is a pretty nice place. Expensive though. $20US with tip for a burger and a good local craft beer. Hotel was reasonable though, since I had the Barnett discount at the hotel. Wheel building was a lot of fun too. Their approach to wheel building was fool proof.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #2688
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mill house, did you take the course for fun, or are you a wrench at a shop?
Old 11-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #2689
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm starting my own thing. Going to wrench out of my garage for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM   #2690
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ good for you - I hope you can throw your details up somewhere on this site, so we can send some business your way.

Please PM me your details as there is some stuff I would like to get done on my bikes that I don't want to do myself.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #2691
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had something curious happen during my morning bike commute today: As I was cycling along 66 AV SW (eastbound) coming out of Lakeview, an oncoming car starting flashing its lights as it approached. As it passed, it crossed centre and took a a bit of a run at me. I assume it took issue with my flashing front light (a cheapie MEC light I purchased for about $20). Has this ever happened to any of you folks?
Old 11-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #2692
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, no never had that happen. I don't run my light on strobe though, I think it's just annoying. Not enough to try to kill someone annoying, but rather pointless. I have mine mounted on my helmet so I can point it where I need to. If I think a driver doesn't see me I just aim it right at them, I think that is more useful than strobe. Really works well when vehicles are leaving alleys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #2693
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did Michael Bryant move to Lakeview? I put my lights on strobe during dawn and dusk, I didn't realize it can piss drivers off.
Maybe I've been lucky, but the worst thing I've had happen is when idiots with diesel trucks (usually duallies) rev their engine after passing. I guess they think they blow smoke and exhaust at me? Hilarious. It happens so often that I expect it when I see/hear one coming from behind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #2694
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's called "rolling coal" and unfortunately is a thing now:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/gen...de-331223.html
They get a kick out of it...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #2695
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a cycle counts map for downtown. The numbers are a bit odd to me. I'd be interested to see how it compares to the number of cars in the same spot.

http://www.eco-public.com/ParcPublic/?id=4190
Old 12-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #2696
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
I'm starting my own thing. Going to wrench out of my garage for now.
Hmm. If you'd like to do a build (Thunderbolt 799), please shoot me a PM. I have all the parts. It was going to be my winter project... but, magically, all my tools disappeared in my recent separation (along with a big, heated garage do to the work in).
Old 12-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #2697
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Here's a cycle counts map for downtown. The numbers are a bit odd to me. I'd be interested to see how it compares to the number of cars in the same spot.

I don't know if I am reading this correctly but, no way there is almost the same # of riders in January as there is in July. I looked at a few spots and they all seem to be similar.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #2698
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post

If 12th is actually getting 700 a day (and you assume those are new riders) then that means its adding to the ability of downtown to handle commuters and more then replaces the lost parking. Which is pretty impressive for year 1.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #2699
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
I don't know if I am reading this correctly but, no way there is almost the same # of riders in January as there is in July. I looked at a few spots and they all seem to be similar.
If you look at the 12th ave ones they look about right. they have a 700 weekly average and current daily peaks of 300-400. Which would show about 50% reduction in winter.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #2700
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Anybody use a bike trainer at home during winter? Any recommendations?
Closed Thread