Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #721
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
So then would you credit BT for the poor performance up until the Montreal game? Genuinely curious
Yeah, absolutely.

I didn't like the Gulutzan hire either, but that's on Treliving too. My main problem with Gulutzan was his lineup choices. Grossmann can't be on the roster, but he also can't be on the ice at ANY time. He was, and the results were catastrophic.

I wonder if BT and GG were forced to use Wideman by ownership.

I'm happy the team has turned it around, and I'm willing to admit I was wrong (as I've done multiple times). I feel confident enough with Wideman out of the lineup that I don't need to keep trashing Gulutzan. The guy means well.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #722
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I wonder if BT and GG were forced to use Wideman by ownership.
I'd say they were forced to use Wideman by the failure of any depth defencemen to step up and take his job. Finally Treliving got fed up and brought in a couple from outside the organization.

It does not say much for Jokipakka, Kulak, or Wotherspoon that they were all outshone by a waiver acquisition. One of them is gone now, and I suspect all three will be out of the Flames' system by next training camp.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #723
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Smart puck support from 4 receivers requires IQ , skill and work ethic.
Receiving angles, eye contact, being an option more than once, saving your ice, width and depth, creating time and space, someone takes your ice...you take theirs, triangulation.

These concepts and sub principles take time to implement. It is how you create a strong puck possession team,

After 3 years of stretching and chipping and chasing the puck and game, this has become a very smart team that plays with the puck very well and possesses it for a far greater part of the game. 5 up the ice, together, with the puck...5 back with intent and purpose.

The transition has not been easy for him or the players.

GG has done an excellent job of transforming the Flames game and optimizing their amelioration.
The best part is that every now and then, the team will use the stretch and chip, which mixes things up for the opposition to defend. Also shows maturity on GG's part for incorporating elements of Hartley's system into his. That is one thing I have really noticed in the Flames attack, is versatility.

GG/coaching staff has created different "looks" at the opposition in its attack. From the variation in the overall "system" as noted to above and even down to the powerplay which has two distinct units that play differently.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #724
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Flames Goals Against

Last 10 Games under Hartley: 37
First 10 Games under Gulutzan: 33
Last 10 Games Under Gulutzan: 22

This post from late November makes me smile.

Clearly some people have the vision to see things work out long term. This was about the time the Flames were starting to put it together, but there were still a lot of people talking about how bad Gulutzan was.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #725
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I'd say they were forced to use Wideman by the failure of any depth defencemen to step up and take his job. Finally Treliving got fed up and brought in a couple from outside the organization.

It does not say much for Jokipakka, Kulak, or Wotherspoon that they were all outshone by a waiver acquisition. One of them is gone now, and I suspect all three will be out of the Flames' system by next training camp.
Bottom line Wideman was a better option because none of Kulak, Wotherspoon, or Kevin could supplant him. Would not be surprised if the other two are out of the system at the start of next year.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #726
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Sample size for evaluation is so important, especially when evaluating such a drastic tactical change. Hopefully a lesson learned for many.
Yup - and it wasn't just calling for his firing - people were being straight up childish with the name calling and criticism of GG without giving him a chance to prove himself.

It really was embarrassing the way people were acting on this one IMO.

In terms of looking at the season - I like breaking the season into three segments at this point.

Start of Season to Nov. 23rd (U.S. Thanksgiving)

27) 8-12-1 - Terrible start to the season and the team looked brutal. Goaltending wasn't good, team wasn't grasping the system, and GG had questionable lineup decisions.

Nov. 24rd to Jan. 25th (Montreal Game)

15) 16-12-2 - Team had actually already improved a lot going 16-8-2 (6th in the league in that time frame) up until the "pathetic" 4 game stretch where they went down 4-0 in each game. Johnson's goaltending really helped prop the team up, and Monahan & Gaudreau each had a hot streak in this time.

Jan 26 to Now

1) 12-2-1 - Best team in the NHL in this stretch, overall game is much improved, and on a 7 game winning streak. Defense pairs and forward lines have been stabilized with the new additions, goaltending is what we expected to get coming into the season.

So while people are focusing on this last 15 game stretch the team has actually been really good going back to US Thanksgiving, especially when you take out that 4 game stretch where nothing went right and they were down 4-0 each game.

Outside of that 4 game speed bump the team is 28-10-3 since U.S. Thanksgiving which is a remarkable .683 win percentage over a 41 game streatch.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #727
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

I think Wotherspoon is probably done in this organization, IMO Kulak will get more time though.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #728
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
This post from late November makes me smile.

Clearly some people have the vision to see things work out long term. This was about the time the Flames were starting to put it together, but there were still a lot of people talking about how bad Gulutzan was.
Update:

Gulutzan first 20, GA: 64
Gulutzan first 20, GF: 46

Gulutzan last 20, GA: 57
Gulutzan last 20, GF: 59
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #729
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Update:

Gulutzan first 20, GA: 64
Gulutzan first 20, GF: 46

Gulutzan last 20, GA: 57
Gulutzan last 20, GF: 59
Quick note on the GA in the last 20 games.

20 of those goals came in the poor 4 game stretch right at the start of this 20 game period, and 5 were in the egg they layed against Phoenix.

In the other 15 games - only 32 goals against.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #730
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Doubting them but still watching every game and spending money on tickets and merchandise and talking about them daily.

Such bad fans...

System seems to be working well now. Wonder how will it evolve if Brain Burke is saying they simplified it.
I know there are some even lots on CP that saw that there needed to be patience, but that doesn't mean this place doesn't become unbearable when everything isn't perfect and we are on a 7 game winning streak.

"The woes of Dougie Hamilton."

What is he a top 10 defensemen in the NHL that some wanted to trade 10-15 games into the season?

Like I said, props to the players AND coaches for sticking with it.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #731
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I think Wotherspoon is probably done in this organization, IMO Kulak will get more time though.
Kulak should get at least as much time as Wotherspoon, but I'll be surprised if he makes a statement next year.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #732
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I was unfortunately only half listening, but Rob Kerr and Pat Steinberg just had an excellent 20 min interview with Glen Gulutzen. It will be worth listening to when the clip is uploaded to the FAN archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #733
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thoughts are that people's thoughts on Glen Gulutzan's system are much more highly correlated with our place in the standings than with an understanding of actual hockey coaching systems.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #734
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, I came in half way and am waiting for them to post it.

Couple key things I heard is there isn't one player right now that isn't happy with system or want to go back. They all understand the current way is how they will be successful.

Also mentioned the goal is to get to the point and understanding that the players can self correct without direction from the coaching staff. So there is definitely room for growth and they aren't satisfied with just where they are now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #735
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I was unfortunately only half listening, but Rob Kerr and Pat Steinberg just had an excellent 20 min interview with Glen Gulutzen. It will be worth listening to when the clip is uploaded to the FAN archives.
What is in the way becomes the way - the new mantra of the Flames.

GG said the coaching staff discussed with the players what most stood between the team and making the post season and the four key responses from the players were i) belief, ii) discipline iii) playing the right way and iv) winning the four point games. These are the key items then that have " become the way".
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #736
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought's on the GG System:
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #737
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

My uncle ran into an old neighbor a little while ago who is part of the Moose Jaw Warriors management, and he has apparently known Gulutzan for quite a few years, anyhow, somehow GG's name came up between them and he said he spoke on the phone with GG earlier in the year and Gulutzan said "You know, if these guys don't buy into this system soon I think I'm going to get canned" so I think things might have been a little more dire after that awful start to the year than some of us initially thought, up until it all came together (the Gaudreau injury + Gulutzan meltdown), I'm glad Treliving didn't jump the gun and fire him so early, that's for sure, GG has eased many of my initial worries about his system since December.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #738
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interview is available now

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...never-changed/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #739
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Fascinating interview where Gulutzan is very open and frank about inclusiveness and the road to buy in from the team.
Impressive.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #740
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

GG said he and the coaches like Dougie's photo bombs and look forward to what he'll come up with next!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote