Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #461
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Great post, I mentioned in the PGT that Gulutzan thinks this is year 1 of the rebuild. He was saying before the game against Washington that the Flames needed to learn from one of the best teams in the league, and now he's saying they're intimidated by LA.

This team is not starting from scratch and should be at the point where winning is becoming an expectation.

I guess they forgot to put that in the job description.
That's a really interesting perspective.

Even if it's not year 1 of a rebuild, Guluztan thinks it's year 1 of his remodelling. It aint. You're supposed to be the finishing carpenter, not the architect.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #462
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
"Glue Gun" is the best nickname I've seen so far.
I've come up with "Glen Gadgetzan" but it requires WoW knowledge to get it.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #463
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted in PG thread as well,

For players as smart as Brodie, Monahan and Gaudreau , it is an insult to them to claim that they can't adjust to a different system.

People need to accept the obvious. Their performance has severely reduced the Flames opportunity for success up to this point.

If they had produced to any degree, defensively and/ or offensively , the Flames would be minimally 2 games over .500.

Embarrassing performance by the Flames top players up to this point.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #464
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not a fan of Gulutzan & Co. overall, but you have to admit the players are making some unusual piss-poor mistakes that I doubt have that much to do with coach or systems.

When your guys can't make/take a pass, go offside, can't win a faceoff, turn it over constantly, I mean, seriously maybe it's time to put some accountability where it truly belongs. Backlund/Frolik/Tkatchuk seem to be doing just fine, but the rest of them look completely lost.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #465
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
There are two other coaches in the league on one year deals. One is Hitchcock, one is Capuano. Capuano may be fired and Hitch is retiring.

There's no reason to hire a head coach on a one year deal.

What do you mean?

A fairly inexperienced coach running a completely different system isn't a reason to give him a one year deal? There's no reason why having a coach like that on a one year deal would be more beneficial to the club than a multi-year deal?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #466
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What do you mean?

A fairly inexperienced coach running a completely different system isn't a reason to give him a one year deal? There's no reason why having a coach like that on a one year deal would be more beneficial to the club than a multi-year deal?
What he is saying is that it is relatively rare under any circumstance. With Hitch, he is retiring and they already hired his replacement. With Capuano, he has at least been with the Islanders organization for a long time and his one year was an extension, not a new-hire. To hire a new coach to a one-year contract is odd. It's like you're hiring a lame-duck.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 11-06-2016 at 09:18 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #467
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I've come up with "Glen Gadgetzan" but it requires WoW knowledge to get it.
I get it. I really do. I'm not sad to admit it!
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #468
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Three big things that stand out for me in this game:

1. We are back to the Butter days where one mistake kills the team.
2. While it's nice to have possession, we have zero speed breaking out of our zone. We wait until we can get a slow zone entry and try to cycle until we score.
3. Difference so far is calgary scores 0 on 2 PP chances...Anaheim scores one on their chance. Timing is everything as playing with a 2-1 Lead makes it a lot more productive to play a skilled puck control game.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #469
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we can just fire him and half a player-coach for the remainder of the season.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #470
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

I refuse to believe that so many of our top players have forgotten to play hockey. Johnny especially, since his performance at the World Cup was so good despite coming off summer break.

This is totally on the coaches. GG doesn't know how to coach these players, or his "system" doesn't work at all or doesn't work with these players. He's stubbornly trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Either way, he needs to make an adjustment to his methods; and if he continues to refuse, then he shouldn't be coaching in the NHL anyway. Even if he gets his system implemented, then other teams will eventually adapt and so he'll have to change the system sooner or later.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #471
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bottomline is we need someone to 'motivate' our top players. We have them locked up long term. Impossible to get rid of them. Only solution is to fire coach, or get him to be more Alpha and less Beta.
Alpine Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #472
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Fisher View Post
Bottomline is we need someone to 'motivate' our top players. We have them locked up long term. Impossible to get rid of them. Only solution is to fire coach, or get him to be more Alpha and less Beta.
Not sure that's ever gonna happen with Gulutzan, apparently Hartley was "too hard" on the players which was one of the reasons they fired him.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #473
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Fisher View Post
I don't think that helps. These aren't going players that don't care.

They have zero confidence. Yelling and screaming and benching and mind games, will not help them feel confident. I get people are mad with the results and want blood, but that isn't going to help
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #474
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

What kind of system does Ryan Huska use? It seems to be working in the AHL
Old 11-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #475
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe the Coach will resign (quit). We can promote him to Flames head office. Seems to work for the Oilers.
Alpine Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #476
domenichelly
Draft Pick

Feaster's and Hartley's team had soul and spirit. There were low hockey skills but it was interesting to watch. When dressing room spirit gone with Treliving come, team has nothing. GG is not the only problem.
Also big problem here is Brian Burke and his managing team. If players in organization are "assets" the will be no good locker room.

I mostly like BT but i hate that he always does something not when it needed. Can give a lot of examples if you want. Now he also waits for something...
domenichelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #477
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

GG said they were visually better tonight, that has to count for something.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:30 AM   #478
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They weren't even much visually better at that. Gulutzan's system is a slot hockey game with a broken centre piece. Get out wide, move north-south only, then console yourself with the fact that you generated a lot of Corsi events, none of which were remotely threatening.

Both the Kings and the Ducks took away the cross ice pass in the offensive zone. Gulutzan's system does not appear to have a plan B, meaning there were only two outcomes: weak shot from a bad angle or turnover.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #479
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

BT needs to go if GG goes. Makine great deals on paper doesn't excuse this terrible product he is icing
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #480
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy the 960 boys are trashing Gulutzan this morning for a lot of things that have already been brought up here this weekend. Fans questioning the head coach is nothing new but the 960 guys typically tread carefully. Pretty obvious Warrener is not behind the head coach. Burke is going to be on 960 soon for questions. Could be interesting.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: