Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #341
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Again, cannot recommended this enough in VR.

Rez Infinite is pretty kick butt too.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #342
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Jeez, I guess virtual reality has to bring along the reality

I guess developers need to have a way you can "mute" other players in VR too.

https://medium.com/@jordanbelamire/m...2ee#.ygnw38n5p

Quote:
So, there I was shooting down zombies alongside another real-time player named BigBro442. The other players could hear me when I spoke, my voice the only indication of my femaleness. Otherwise, my avatar looked identical to them.

In between a wave of zombies and demons to shoot down, I was hanging out next to BigBro442, waiting for our next attack. Suddenly, BigBro442’s disembodied helmet faced me dead-on. His floating hand approached my body, and he started to virtually rub my chest.

“Stop!” I cried. I must have laughed from the embarrassment and the ridiculousness of the situation. Women, after all, are supposed to be cool, and take any form of sexual harassment with a laugh. But I still told him to stop.

This goaded him on, and even when I turned away from him, he chased me around, making grabbing and pinching motions near my chest. Emboldened, he even shoved his hand toward my virtual crotch and began rubbing.

There I was, being virtually groped in a snowy fortress with my brother-in-law and husband watching.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #343
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I read that this morning too. This should be among the first things on every developer's mind when they start planning a game with a social experience like this. There's no perfect method for dealing with it, but there needs to be an effort in place to remove one of those players from that situation.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #344
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Mr. Trump, please take off the goggles you're scaring people.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #345
kaddy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Has anyone seen the PS VR launch bundles in stock around the city? I think I might have to grab one, but haven't had luck finding one yet.
kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #346
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Picked up Until Dawn: Rush of Blood for some scary thrills before Halloween hits. Holy crap what a game. Pretty sure I screamed out in my basement a few times.

Also, Thumper is an amazing experience as well.

I'm sold. Great purchase and just been having an absolute blast in with VR
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #347
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Picked up Until Dawn: Rush of Blood for some scary thrills before Halloween hits. Holy crap what a game. Pretty sure I screamed out in my basement a few times.

Also, Thumper is an amazing experience as well.

I'm sold. Great purchase and just been having an absolute blast in with VR
Ya, VR is the absolute best. I don't care if there isn't a 10+ hour game for the next 18 months. I'm having a damn fine time with what we're getting right now (which is basically the worst VR is ever going to be).

There's a Twitch video of me playing Until Dawn that is essentially a word salad of profanity and screaming.

Edit: Just picked up Windlands. Looking forward to hurling later.

Last edited by Russic; 10-25-2016 at 03:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #348
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just tried PSVR and Batman at EB Games. It was pretty wicked but not something I can afford for a while.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:57 AM   #349
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaddy View Post
Has anyone seen the PS VR launch bundles in stock around the city? I think I might have to grab one, but haven't had luck finding one yet.

Did you find one yet?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #350
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Did you find one yet?
I sold him my second one (I can explain). I walked into a walmart on launch day and they had them out, so I bought one instead of waiting 5 hours for my shipment to arrive. I regret nothing.

To add to my previous post, if you're feeling like you've got your VR legs and looking for something a bit more extreme, I can't recommend Windlands enough. The sense of scale is terrifying in a really fun way, and I can say with certainty it's been the most intense gaming experience of my life. The first two sessions I had with it had me feeling a bit unwell, but once I figured out the hooks and was able to predict the movement a bit better it became magic. I've only got one world left to explore, and that makes me a bit sad.

Last edited by Russic; 10-30-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #351
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone have one of these set up in a smaller room close to the TV? They recommend 8x8 feet but I definitely don't have that kind of space. If anyone has some feedback it would be appreciated. Thank-you.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #352
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I sold him my second one (I can explain). I walked into a walmart on launch day and they had them out, so I bought one instead of waiting 5 hours for my shipment to arrive. I regret nothing.

To add to my previous post, if you're feeling like you've got your VR legs and looking for something a bit more extreme, I can't recommend Windlands enough. The sense of scale is terrifying in a really fun way, and I can say with certainty it's been the most intense gaming experience of my life. The first two sessions I had with it had me feeling a bit unwell, but once I figured out the hooks and was able to predict the movement a bit better it became magic. I've only got one world left to explore, and that makes me a bit sad.
How many hours is Windlands, and how much?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #353
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Does anyone have one of these set up in a smaller room close to the TV? They recommend 8x8 feet but I definitely don't have that kind of space. If anyone has some feedback it would be appreciated. Thank-you.
Can you sit about 5 feet from your TV? That seems to be a sweet spot for PSVR, and it seems to break down around 10. At 5 feet can you comfortably hold your arms out and rotate? While the Vive uses movement around the room as a game mechanic, PSVR I'm finding to be more of a stationary experience (whether you're sitting or standing). Rarely do I take more than a step in either direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
How many hours is Windlands, and how much?
It's $34, and I'm about to finish off the main quest at about 7 hours. Then you can decide if you want to find the tablets that are scattered about the worlds (40 in each of the 3 worlds). There's also time challenges that I'm looking forward to doing. Overall I'd imagine I'll spend about 15-20 hours in it, but I'm taking a bit of a completionist approach.

The cost/time ratio is something I'm finding doesn't translate as well to VR games for me. I used to say my baseline was that of a movie. If I could get $12/2hrs I was happy. Now I look at games like Arkham VR and I can't help but notice they don't meet that baseline. At the same time – and I'm trying to temper expectations and not get too hyperbolic here – I feel these might be some of my favourite gaming experiences of my entire life.

Windlands especially is unlike any game I've ever experienced. There's tension to the point that I literally sweat (yes I'm aware sweat is a byproduct of motion sickness, but tension is definitely a factor). I find playing for an hour is incredibly exhausting, especially if you're standing. There's whole sections in the game where I don't actually breathe as I swing precariously from ledge to ledge. That's not something I've ever felt before, and it is insane.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #354
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Can you sit about 5 feet from your TV? That seems to be a sweet spot for PSVR, and it seems to break down around 10. At 5 feet can you comfortably hold your arms out and rotate? While the Vive uses movement around the room as a game mechanic, PSVR I'm finding to be more of a stationary experience (whether you're sitting or standing). Rarely do I take more than a step in either direction.

It's $34, and I'm about to finish off the main quest at about 7 hours. Then you can decide if you want to find the tablets that are scattered about the worlds (40 in each of the 3 worlds). There's also time challenges that I'm looking forward to doing. Overall I'd imagine I'll spend about 15-20 hours in it, but I'm taking a bit of a completionist approach.

The cost/time ratio is something I'm finding doesn't translate as well to VR games for me. I used to say my baseline was that of a movie. If I could get $12/2hrs I was happy. Now I look at games like Arkham VR and I can't help but notice they don't meet that baseline. At the same time – and I'm trying to temper expectations and not get too hyperbolic here – I feel these might be some of my favourite gaming experiences of my entire life.

Windlands especially is unlike any game I've ever experienced. There's tension to the point that I literally sweat (yes I'm aware sweat is a byproduct of motion sickness, but tension is definitely a factor). I find playing for an hour is incredibly exhausting, especially if you're standing. There's whole sections in the game where I don't actually breathe as I swing precariously from ledge to ledge. That's not something I've ever felt before, and it is insane.
That sounds awesome.

I haven't really been following along with this thread so I'm probably totally out to lunch, but are these like computer games you're playing with your VR headset plugged into your computer, or are these apps on your phone and you're using like a phone/VR headset thing?

I have a Galaxy S7 and Samsung V-gear or whatever it's called and I've messed around with it a bit, but not very much. Can I play what you're playing on what I have or is what you're doing way beyond the capabilities of a cellphone shoved into some glasses?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #355
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Call of Duty released a small VR experience call Jackal Assult. Pretty fun space shooting similar to EVE online and it is free
Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #356
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That sounds awesome.

I haven't really been following along with this thread so I'm probably totally out to lunch, but are these like computer games you're playing with your VR headset plugged into your computer, or are these apps on your phone and you're using like a phone/VR headset thing?

I have a Galaxy S7 and Samsung V-gear or whatever it's called and I've messed around with it a bit, but not very much. Can I play what you're playing on what I have or is what you're doing way beyond the capabilities of a cellphone shoved into some glasses?
The thread has mostly been focused on VR via plugging into a high-end gaming computer or a PS4 (which is what I'm on). As far as I know there aren't a ton of games that are on those types of setups and on mobile devices – I could be wrong though.

After finishing Windlands on difficult, I may be ready to proclaim it to be one of my favourite games of all time. I still can't get enough of it.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #357
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Very curious to see what kind of bump PSVR gets with a PS4 Pro
Old 11-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #358
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Silentsim got his today a couple days ahead of the street date. I'm sure he'll be by with a massive review for us.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #359
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quick question for anyone with a PSVR. I've noticed there is two different ps cameras on market. Does it matter which one you have?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #360
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Quick question for anyone with a PSVR. I've noticed there is two different ps cameras on market. Does it matter which one you have?

nope same internals just a different look is what i read
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
bax