Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #321
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Photocopy your face.
After playing around yesterday, and photocopying almost anything I could think of, for some reason I never thought of trying my face. But today I saw a video of some guys photocopying their head, so I now know what happens. My favourite was when I photocopied a CD.

Also, http://i.imgur.com/qDWTStz.gifv
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #322
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone else not fully satisfied with the VR videos, primarily from the free apps like Vrideo, Within, Littlstar VR?
Maybe its just me, but there was a lag to it. I'm guessing I cannot stream 4k without delays. Watching the Muse music video Revolt was pretty cool, but it paused for a few seconds every 5 seconds.
So that got me researching and thinking, can I just download VR videos and watch them through PS VR. It looks like you can, but Sony only supports videos in equirectangular format. Does anyone know where you can download videos in this format? Something to show off to friends and family who are experiencing VR for the first time.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #323
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

okay so I have not had the motion sickness for my first few days but last night trying Driveclub and RIGS made me unable to even play. Just completely nauseated. The VR is amazing, but it seems like any games with fast movement can really do a number. Batman, for example, was no problem at all.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #324
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man that Batman VR game is crazy. I can totally see VR potential playing that. Too bad it's so damned short.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #325
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Man that Batman VR game is crazy. I can totally see VR potential playing that. Too bad it's so damned short.
Thats the only thing thats holding me back from getting the game is how short I've heard it being. 60-90min?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #326
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Anyone else not fully satisfied with the VR videos, primarily from the free apps like Vrideo, Within, Littlstar VR?
Maybe its just me, but there was a lag to it. I'm guessing I cannot stream 4k without delays. Watching the Muse music video Revolt was pretty cool, but it paused for a few seconds every 5 seconds.
So that got me researching and thinking, can I just download VR videos and watch them through PS VR. It looks like you can, but Sony only supports videos in equirectangular format. Does anyone know where you can download videos in this format? Something to show off to friends and family who are experiencing VR for the first time.
The videos were the only real letdown for me. They're going to be cool in 5 years when we have 4k screens strapped to our heads, but for right now there are some clear growing pains that I'm not finding in the games. There's one VR app (VRideo) that lets you download the clips, which eliminates the buffering, but the quality is still pretty terrible. I will say though that there is one taken from the space station that is totally mind blowing. That was the best one I found.

Everyone talked about how bad the cinema mode visuals were, but I found them at least useable. The 360 degree videos not so much.

Quote:
Thats the only thing thats holding me back from getting the game is how short I've heard it being. 60-90min?
I would say it's worth $27 if you're into Batman and are looking for some cool experiences. I had enough fun with it for the first hour that I have no issues with it being priced there (I assume I'm right near the end of the game). Watching my kid play through the first part will be worth far more than that. His head is going to pop off his shoulders. I'm pretty happy they let you select chapters, because the very first scene would be pure nightmare fuel for a child.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #327
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Seemed shorter to me, but I think that's about right. I was shocked when it ended - jarred me. Honestly, I know it's 26 bucks but I think that's too high. The game is not only short, there is no replay value outside of showing it to friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #328
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Seemed shorter to me, but I think that's about right. I was shocked when it ended - jarred me. Honestly, I know it's 26 bucks but I think that's too high. The game is not only short, there is no replay value outside of showing it to friends.
Maybe I should just wait to buy it second hand. Should start a CP network where we trade VR games.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #329
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree only a bit here. I agree it is too short, but completing it opens up the riddle challenges sheikh have been a ton of fun.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #330
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Walmart in Shawnessy and they had one PSVR bundle left. I had not looked into buying one at all and now am not sure if it's worth the $700 or if I should return it. How many people here have one and what's the consensus?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #331
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
I disagree only a bit here. I agree it is too short, but completing it opens up the riddle challenges sheikh have been a ton of fun.
Fair point. I haven't touched that part yet.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #332
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Went to Walmart in Shawnessy and they had one PSVR bundle left. I had not looked into buying one at all and now am not sure if it's worth the $700 or if I should return it. How many people here have one and what's the consensus?
It's pricey but I'm diggin it. It might be extravagant if finances are tight. I dunno. I watched Netflix last night and although the resolution isn't the greatest due to the pixel size, it was pretty bad ass.

Also, even though I really only have one purchased game I was having a blast with the VR demos from the bundle. The potential is impressive. I can understand why some consider it gimmicky, but I'm down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #333
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
It somehow exceeded my expectations, but I'm incredibly into VR.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #334
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's pricey but I'm diggin it. It might be extravagant if finances are tight. I dunno. I watched Netflix last night and although the resolution isn't the greatest due to the pixel size, it was pretty bad ass.
And see I was more into the potential related to watching movies and sports, so I think I will hold off for now.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #335
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And see I was more into the potential related to watching movies and sports, so I think I will hold off for now.
For games and animation, the resolution is good enough. But for live action it is definitely a noticeable step down in quality compared to your 1080 TV. So yea, unless you want it for games, holding off is smart.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #336
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

The refresh rate is great though. That said, you can pick up headset units that are purely for watching content outside for VR.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #337
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The refresh rate is great though. That said, you can pick up headset units that are purely for watching content outside for VR.
Yeah, I basically want the feeling of watching Netflix on a 50 Ft screen in my living room.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #338
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I think you need solid 90 fps to avoid motion sickness by default.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #339
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I basically want the feeling of watching Netflix on a 50 Ft screen in my living room.
One thing PSVR is lacking at the moment is a "theatre mode". You can have a giant floating screen, but I'd like to have it skinned so it feels like I'm in a theatre or home with a giant tv. Hulu can do it, but you know... Canada. I keep meaning to watch a movie in it, but admittedly I'm having so much fun with the games I haven't really had an opportunity to try it out.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #340
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, cannot recommended this enough in VR.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote