Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Icon35 Islanders hook up with New Jersey for yet another deal

The New York Islanders are proud to announce that we have acquired forward Radim Vrbata from the Dallas Stars in exchange for Martins Dzierkals and a 2nd-round pick.

Thanks to TurdFerguson for the quick negotiations.

This move helps us make up for the loss of Corey Perry and Shane Doan, and re-solidifies our top six. Vrbata is a really cheap, really productive option. Man, this team is gonna be good next year!

We would also like to announce that we have just released Jonas Gustavsson. Go get 'im, boys.

Our Team:

Rick Nash - Tyler Johnson - Patrick Sharp
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - David Krejci - Radim Vrbata
Leo Komarov - Zemgus Girgensons - Josh Bailey
Vladislav Namestnikov - Jacob Josefson - Jonathan Marchessault
Extras: Conor Sheary, Bryan Rust, Derek Ryan, David Jones

Dustin Byfuglien - Travis Hamonic
Zach Bogosian - Johnny Boychuk
Roman Polak - Deryk Engelland
Steve Kampfer - Jon Merrill
Extras: Jakub Nakladal

Tuukka Rask
Michael Hutchinson

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vrbata was found money for me. Happy to get a couple decent futures that are more inline with my needs.

Thanks for the easy deal!
Old 02-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The New York Islanders are pleased to announce that we have made a trade with the Calgary Flames. The Islanders have received forwards Tobias Rieder and Marcus Kruger from Calgary in exchange for our 2018 1st- and 3rd-round picks, Austin Carroll, and Jacob Josefson.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - David Krejci - Radim Vrbata
Leo Komarov - Zemgus Girgensons - Tobias Rieder
Vladislav Namestnikov - Marcus Kruger - Josh Bailey
Extras: Jonathan Marchessault, Conor Sheary, Bryan Rust, Derek Ryan, David Jones

Tuukka Rask
Michael Hutchinson

Last edited by TheScorpion; 02-04-2017 at 12:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Be careful trading your 1sts. You aren't getting much of a piece back to be giving up that kind of asset.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Be careful trading your 1sts. You aren't getting much of a piece back to be giving up that kind of asset.
I'm quite happy with what I got back: the Flames' leading scorer, who can play on my first powerplay unit and is only 24. Plus... a very good defensive center, a definite upgrade from Josefson. Carroll is a nothing piece, a 2018 3rd... meh, and the first... probably will be in the 20-to-28 range next year. I'm not too worried.

Rieder for 1st... fair.
Kruger for 3rd + Carroll + Josefson... fair.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

So you have no 1st or 2nds for the next two years. That's all I'm saying. I don't think Reider for a 1st is good value.
I encourage you to ask for and listen to feedback from other GMs.
I like the optimism that your pick will be late next year but it could easily be a lottery pick.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
MJK
Old 02-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Over the last few weeks I have gone to work assembling a roster of young players likely getting excellent re-rates next season. Bailey, Marchessault, Sheary, Rust, Ryan, Namestnikov, Merrill, and now Rieder. I don't particularly care for draft picks at the moment, because I feel that I can be better at asset management by targeting already-established players.

It wasn't my doing that I don't have any picks (except a 5th) this season. I inherited that problem. My team has been on a roll lately, we have a very deep forward corps, and I am convinced that we will make the playoffs and go far this season and next. I am not concerned whatsoever right now.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Over the last few weeks I have gone to work assembling a roster of young players likely getting excellent re-rates next season. Bailey, Marchessault, Sheary, Rust, Ryan, Namestnikov, Merrill, and now Rieder. I don't particularly care for draft picks at the moment, because I feel that I can be better at asset management by targeting already-established players.

It wasn't my doing that I don't have any picks (except a 5th) this season. I inherited that problem. My team has been on a roll lately, we have a very deep forward corps, and I am convinced that we will make the playoffs and go far this season and next. I am not concerned whatsoever right now.

You would be surprised what the sim can do to you. No matter how good your team is. The sim is especially hard on young players.

I tried everything I could to win last season and ended up missing the playoffs and having the #7 overall pick. That was with a roster similar to what I have this year. If the sim decides not to like you it's hard to change that. Every season is different and you will see teams high in the standings that shock you we well we teams below you that surprise you just as much.

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ If that happens, then I make trades to fix it. It's worked so far this year

Old 02-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

HAH look at a Cheese swoop in as soon as the training wheels came off to get a 1st. Ruthless!
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the enthusiasm, activity and number of trades. Hate the Rieder trade from the Isles' perspective.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man, this team is gonna be good next year!
Quote:
My team has been on a roll lately, we have a very deep forward corps, and I am convinced that we will make the playoffs and go far this season and next. I am not concerned whatsoever right now.
I think it's a very good possibility that your team looks completely different this summer because of your cap situation. You're going to have to juggle quite a bit.

Namestiknov and Girgenson are getting raises.
RNH, Rust and Marchessault are each getting a significant raise.

And that's just your forward corps. On D, you have big Buff. After that, it's Hamonic, Boychuk and Bogo as your next top rated D. All are on expiring contracts. Bogo is garbage and will re-rate lower. The other two are tough to call how they'll fall in re-rate costs. Your D, aside from Buff, will hurt you if you can't afford to resign your higher rated guys who expire.

I too don't like that you gave up your 1st, given your lack of assets in the cupboards. I'd bet that pick will be a lottery for sure.

I too love your enthusiasm. It's fun to see an eager newbie working the phones constantly and being so into the league. I hate the Rieder trade though.
but, To each their own. This is just my unsolicited opinion.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #13
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
I think it's a very good possibility that your team looks completely different this summer because of your cap situation. You're going to have to juggle quite a bit.

Namestiknov and Girgenson are getting raises.
RNH, Rust and Marchessault are each getting a significant raise.

And that's just your forward corps. On D, you have big Buff. After that, it's Hamonic, Boychuk and Bogo as your next top rated D. All are on expiring contracts. Bogo is garbage and will re-rate lower. The other two are tough to call how they'll fall in re-rate costs. Your D, aside from Buff, will hurt you if you can't afford to resign your higher rated guys who expire.

I too don't like that you gave up your 1st, given your lack of assets in the cupboards. I'd bet that pick will be a lottery for sure.

I too love your enthusiasm. It's fun to see an eager newbie working the phones constantly and being so into the league. I hate the Rieder trade though.
but, To each their own. This is just my unsolicited opinion.
Hehe, ok. We'll see.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The New York Islanders are excited to announce that we have made a trade with the Minnesota Wild. Heading to Brooklyn is right winger Ryan Callahan and a 2018 3rd-round pick, while on his way to St. Paul is centre Vladislav Namestnikov.

Thanks to JiriHrdina for the easy negotiations. Callahan is having an injury-plagued season in the NHL but is doing well in the Sim. Namestnikov is somewhat the opposite, but is also much younger. It was important for us to acquire a draft pick in this deal as well.

Tobias Rieder - David Krejci - Radim Vrbata
Leo Komarov - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Ryan Callahan
Zemgus Girgensons - Marcus Kruger - Josh Bailey
Extras: Jonathan Marchessault, Conor Sheary, Bryan Rust, Derek Ryan

Tuukka Rask
Michael Hutchinson

Old 02-04-2017, 11:42 PM   #15
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

NYI are looking good.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ oh I'm not done

You wait until tomorrow.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #17
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Callahan's 4.66 for the next 3 years at 1-way. WHYYYYYYY

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #18
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

can't wait for the Isles' offseason. That's going to be really interesting from a cap perspective.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #19
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, Tobias Rieder is worth a first now? I mean I know that I've made some questionable moves here and there, but that is really something. Cheese, did you at least buy the poor kid dinner and bring him some flowers before that went down?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The New York Islanders are finally ready to announce a deal with the New Jersey Devils. Over the past few days, we have spent well over a dozen private messages hammering out specific terms of this deal, and we're glad to finally have come to an agreement. The Islanders receive Carl Hagelin, Tim Schaller, Stephen Gionta, a 2nd-round pick, and a 4th-round pick. Meanwhile, the Devils receive Zemgus Girgensons, Roman Polak, and Connor Ingram.

Rick Nash - Tyler Johnson - Tobias Rieder
Patrick Sharp - David Krejci - Radim Vrbata
Carl Hagelin - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Ryan Callahan
Leo Komarov - Marcus Kruger - Josh Bailey
Extras: Jonathan Marchessault, Conor Sheary, Bryan Rust, Derek Ryan, Tim Schaller

Jon Merrill - Deryk Engelland
Steve Kampfer - Jakub Nakladal

Tuukka Rask
Michael Hutchinson

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: