Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #2161
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has the show even hinted at Arya's warg abilities?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #2162
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. I also don't see her doing the LSH role because she hates the BWB. I could see her taking out Melissandre next season or something.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #2163
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't remember if the show touched on Rob Starks writing of his will and wanting to legitimize jon as his heir to Winterfell?

I know in the books it's alluded to and he had several of the houses seal a document before the Red wedding which I'm guessing Sam will find in Oldtown and this will satisfy the how will jon be legitimized question.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #2164
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I can't remember if the show touched on Rob Starks writing of his will and wanting to legitimize jon as his heir to Winterfell?

I know in the books it's alluded to and he had several of the houses seal a document before the Red wedding which I'm guessing Sam will find in Oldtown and this will satisfy the how will jon be legitimized question.
I dunno, I think a clerical thing like that would be the most boring way to legitimize him. I like the angle of whomever has the power and the people behind him, is legitimate. Jon Snow is definitely that, even without the revelation around his bloodline.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #2165
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post

I don't remember seeing Robb write anything in the show at all.

If not those documents it could be Benjen as well. He joined the nights watch immediately after Ned came back the Winterfell. Could be he facilitated Rhaegar's absconding with Lyanna and may have witness their wedding. When Ned came back Benjen headed to the wall in shame for his part in the mess. He could legitimize Jon from this alone now that the Baratheons are all gone. They would need the wall to come down first in the show for Zombie Benjen to meet Jon. So maybe in season 8??

Other ways to legitimize Snow are through Howland Reed or Lyanna's Midwife.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #2166
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Lyanna Mormonts Mom is one of the people in the books who takes that sealed note, I think they were supposed to find Reed at Greywater Watch. I'd hate to meet the Mom after meeting the Daughter lol.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #2167
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From the other thread.

Quote:
Warrior, in the 35 – 45 age range. The character is a tough-looking bruiser with the attack skills of a pit bull, and the actor needs to be great at fighting. He has a “considerable” amount of dialogue as well. It’s described as an “excellent part for a top-end actor.” Helpful clues in the description? We know it’s not a Dothraki character as the actor for the role is required to be white, and they’re asking for a neutral and non-posh English accent. This role is currently scheduled to shoot across October.
Possibly Jon Connington but the show hasn't hinted at that story line.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #2168
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Hard to know what is going on now that we are in uncharted waters. The show could be adding something completely new or could have consulted with Martin to introduce a new character that will also show up in the books. I don't really recognize anyone on that list, which I don't mind. Last year there was a big reveal with them looking for a 'great swordsman', it was pretty obvious who that would be.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #2169
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking it has been 5 years since I read the whole series so it was time to refresh everything.... I can' find my copy of Game Of Thrones! How annoying. I know I will find it/it will be returned to me about a day after I get a replacement.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #2170
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Winds of Winter to come out in 2017?

GRRM says....maybe. I'm too lazy to quote. But it's out there.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 AM   #2171
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Winds of Winter to come out in 2017?

GRRM says....maybe. I'm too lazy to quote. But it's out there.
You really think statements like that would make a difference? Ah, you sweet summer child. I have years of experience with this that tells me otherwise.

But okay, I will try it your way.

Not done yet, but I've made progress. But not as much as I hoped a year ago, when I thought to be done by now.

I think it will be out this year. (But hey, I thought the same thing last year).
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 AM   #2172
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honestly, I would just recommend to give up on the books and enjoy the show.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #2173
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

His uncertainty about whether he'll finish the book in 2017 suggests there's a lot still to be written. Given Martin's gift for procrastination and his sporadic productivity, you have to be pretty optimistic to think this is the year he'll knuckle down and write 50,000 words.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #2174
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, the previous two books were bad to terrible. At this point, you're hoping for a miracle that the book will a) ever be finished and if it is, b) that it will be good.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #2175
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

lol wow guys, triggered much?

I'm familiar with his delays, I just read it online and thought other people might like to know. Deep breaths into a paper bag if necessary.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #2176
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Also, the previous two books were bad to terrible. At this point, you're hoping for a miracle that the book will a) ever be finished and if it is, b) that it will be good.
I didn't mind the ADWD, but AFFC was painful to get through.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #2177
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
lol wow guys, triggered much?

I'm familiar with his delays, I just read it online and thought other people might like to know. Deep breaths into a paper bag if necessary.
Not triggered at all. I've been reading the series since '98, but I don't expect to see it finished. And it doesn't make me mad. I've read enough interviews with Martin, and I know enough about writing, to recognize that he's come to dread writing the books. And as Tinordi notes, the quality of the books (the narrative and plotting anyway) has been going downhill since Storm of Swords.

Without the spur of keeping up with the TV series, it's likely Martin is writing slower than ever. Even if he is still writing at pace he's written for the last 10 years, we won't see Winds of Winter completed until at least 2018. If we ever see it at all.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #2178
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Yeah it would obviously be a disappointment if they weren't finished but I wouldn't be mad or surprised. We have the TV show and future movies/shows/sequels/prequels as well to conclude story lines.

I'd rather have no other books released than 2 overly long and boring ones.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #2179
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default A Song of Ice and Fire **Spoilers** Now more TV talk!

He should just tweet "Winter came and the snow zombies ate everything the end."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #2180
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

We might have to wait until he dies and somebody else picks it up to finish, like Sanderson did for Jordan with WoT. It seemed to me like Jordan had 'planned' to finish it with one last book but Sanderson had to really condense it to fit it into three books to end the series.

I started that one in the mid 90's and got to finish it in 2013 so that was 23 years of waiting..

This series I started in the early 2000's so if I get to finish it by 2022 then I guess I can't complain to much :P

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming