Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #21
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
At least Irving is playing pretty well in the AHL this year, is he not?

With Kipper our starter for a few more years still, no need to rush him, especially if we have Karlsson as a back-up. I'd rather have Irving down in the AHL getting a ton of game time over him sitting on the bench with the Flames.

I know you didn't say he is a busy, just saying there is no rush on him as he is improving still. It isn't like we need him right now anyway so it isn't hurting the team. Unlike if we had a good forward prospect who didn't do anything (Chucko).
I know he's still got time as goalies take longer to develop. It wasn't really meant as a shot against Irving, it's just that we are in 2011 and have had zero impact from our first round picks in 04, 05, and 06. I will say it's extremely impressive that the flames have managed to be as competitive as they are considering they have had less impact from drafted players since 03 than any team in the league.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #22
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting that Feaster mentioned signing Erixon and Ortio, but not Bjorklund. May be nothing, or may be he's not in the plans
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #23
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ugh that hindsight post with Neal, Statsny, Vlasic is freaking depressing.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #24
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Negrin has had one major injury. Let's not get crazy calling him injury prone. He was probably the best dman on the Heat before he got hurt. Probably would still be the best even with Brodie and Breen progressing.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #25
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

how are we calling irving a bust when he leads the AHL in wins, and has yet to play an NHL game?!?!??

man, for a team hungry for quality centers, how did statsny be allowed to slip past the flames
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #26
flamesaresmokin
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
I'm actually really suprised he got called out by Feaster. He isn't terrible in the AHL. But with his injury history, the fact that he seems to be made of glass, his on ice discipline and his ceiling being compared to that of a Jim Vandemeer. Well, I don't know about bust, but definitely not a first rounder.
Just another excuse of awful, awful drafting by the previous regime. IIRC did we not trade down to take pelech and chucko only to bypass players that turned out to at least be serviceable players? Imo you can't be selecting project defensive defencemen and forwards out of the bchl in the first round of the draft. Especially when you had no prospects at that time to begin with.

I think they finally started to draft right but it took about 5 years for them to figure it out.
flamesaresmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesaresmokin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #27
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
how are we calling irving a bust when he leads the AHL in wins, and has yet to play an NHL game?!?!??
No one called him a bust. You either need to learn how to read, or stop being dramatic.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #28
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really know if Pelech is a bust... he was more of an ridiculous overdraft by Sutter. He's turned out exactly how I'd have expected him to from watching in junior.... just Sutter decided to pick 2 or 3 rounds too early for whatever reason. It was a HORRIBLE pick at the time and nothing has changed since.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah I think it's safe to say Pelech was an awful pick now. He's not even the top D prospect in the minors any more. Erixon and Brodie have passed him and Negrin likely has as well.

It looked like he was finally going to pan out 2 years ago but with the injuries I'd say he's pretty much lost his shot at making the Flames roster.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
interesting that Feaster mentioned signing Erixon and Ortio, but not Bjorklund. May be nothing, or may be he's not in the plans
Bjorklund is a bit of a longer shot at the moment. He's really struggled this year to make an impact and has been sent down to the Allsvenskan league and has only played 3 games in the Elitserien league (as oppose to 19 last year) (correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not 100% familiar with those leagues, but I think Allsvenskan is the AHL compared to the NHL Elitserien).
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #31
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am glad to see I am not the only one to be frustrated with our first round picks. I

don't even blame it all on Sutter. The Flames scouts need to get their heads out off

their asses and find a solid pick. I understand it is a bit of a crap shoot but we have

freaking missed pretty much every first round pick for a long time. I mean we did get

Dion (not even sure how to classify him now, but I do know we are one of 3 teams

without our first round from that exceptional draft class). We also have Backlund

whom I like but really hasn't knock my socks off. So I went back and looked at some of

our first rounders.. some one needs to be beaten for some of those picks.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bezer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #32
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Bjorklund is a bit of a longer shot at the moment. He's really struggled this year to make an impact and has been sent down to the Allsvenskan league and has only played 3 games in the Elitserien league (as oppose to 19 last year) (correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not 100% familiar with those leagues, but I think Allsvenskan is the AHL compared to the NHL Elitserien).
Bjorklund has actually had a pretty solid year. 14 goals in Div2 in Sweden - I think he's only 2 or 3 goals outside the top 20 in the league and has 5 GWG. It's not the top league in the country, but I think performing consistently there for a top team has been a good year for him at his age. Also the previous year, although he got more top level games, he also got went as low as the 3rd league for a while.

The team he is on loan to is 2nd in the league and if he doesn't come across next season hopefully he will be a regular player in the Elitserien.

Given the lack of scorers in the Flames system I think Bjorklund shouldn't be written off just yet.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #33
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Ugh that hindsight post with Neal, Statsny, Vlasic is freaking depressing.
Here. this will make you feel better.

With that pick we could have drafted

Plante
Chorney
Jackson
Frazee
Kalus
Gogulla
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #34
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So am i confused or did he not mention these in his presser? or did he talk a couple times regarding this stuff? links to an audio?

edit: nm found it - Fan 960 interview...

Last edited by cznTiburon; 03-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezer View Post
I am glad to see I am not the only one to be frustrated with our first round picks. I

don't even blame it all on Sutter. The Flames scouts need to get their heads out off

their asses and find a solid pick. I understand it is a bit of a crap shoot but we have

freaking missed pretty much every first round pick for a long time. I mean we did get

Dion (not even sure how to classify him now, but I do know we are one of 3 teams

without our first round from that exceptional draft class). We also have Backlund

whom I like but really hasn't knock my socks off. So I went back and looked at some of

our first rounders.. some one needs to be beaten for some of those picks.

Is it the drafting, or is it player development I wonder? Or maybe a bit of both.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #36
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Bjorklund has actually had a pretty solid year. 14 goals in Div2 in Sweden - I think he's only 2 or 3 goals outside the top 20 in the league and has 5 GWG. It's not the top league in the country, but I think performing consistently there for a top team has been a good year for him at his age. Also the previous year, although he got more top level games, he also got went as low as the 3rd league for a while.

The team he is on loan to is 2nd in the league and if he doesn't come across next season hopefully he will be a regular player in the Elitserien.

Given the lack of scorers in the Flames system I think Bjorklund shouldn't be written off just yet.
For sure, the stats I presented don't tell the full story. If we compare Backlund's short time in the Allsvenskan, he has similar stats (however shallow that comparison may be).

Wouldn't mind seeing him come over to North America in a year or two to see how he fairs in the AHL.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #37
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Is it the drafting, or is it player development I wonder? Or maybe a bit of both.
And who chose the scouts?
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #38
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Whichever scout found T.J. Brodie ....yeah don't fire that guy.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #39
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Whichever scout found T.J. Brodie ....yeah don't fire that guy.
Weren't most of them let go last summer?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #40
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Weren't most of them let go last summer?
That's what I understand.

The other thing is we had no AHL team at the time Sutter took over, so I think he was trying to make safe draft picks in order to help stock the farm. Once that was done he became more open to drafting more chancy picks with more offensive upside.

I believe Sutter also admitted that he didn't take into account the changing of the game caused by the new rules, outlawing clutching and grabbing. Under the old rules Pelech would probably be in the NHL right now. By saying that I'm not saying under the old rules a player like Giordano wouldn't be in the NHL, but the game has certainly changed so that a mobile defenceman is far more valued.

Sutter wasn't as dumb as some of you think he was, it's just that his philosophy became dated, but he was changing, just not fast enough for those of his peers who were lucky enough to favor a more offensive style.

Last edited by Vulcan; 03-01-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: