Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Is Pelech now officially a bust?

The signs have been coming this year.

1. The Flames risk him going through waivers to assign him to Abbotsford. Something they were unwilling to do with Pardy a few years ago.

2. Claim Brendan Mikkelson off waivers from Anaheim for the 7th dman spot.

3. Claim Brett Carson off waivers to fill a need in a depth dman instead of looking at the farm.

4. Feaster publicly calling him out and saying that if Pelech can't handle AHL forwards, how can he handle NHL forwards at today's press conference.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Exposing him to waivers alone means if not a bust, he's at least a blown pick.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm actually really suprised he got called out by Feaster. He isn't terrible in the AHL. But with his injury history, the fact that he seems to be made of glass, his on ice discipline and his ceiling being compared to that of a Jim Vandemeer. Well, I don't know about bust, but definitely not a first rounder.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
I'm actually really suprised he got called out by Feaster. He isn't terrible in the AHL. But with his injury history, the fact that he seems to be made of glass, his on ice discipline and his ceiling being compared to that of a Jim Vandemeer. Well, I don't know about bust, but definitely not a first rounder.
That right there is the definition of a bust. Pelech is a bust. 4 full seasons in the minors, 5 games of NHL experience, passing through waivers, the team taking other D-men on waivers instead of calling him up. Pelech probably wouldn't even be the first D-man called up and his chances will be even slimmer when Erixon comes over next year.

Pelech may still make the NHL, but I doubt he will ever rise beyond the #6 spot. Pelech hasn't lived up to his billing, potential, and is a bust.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

At one camp he was giving Pardy a run for the 7th defence spot but he hasn't progressed. Maybe due to injury or maybe he just doesn't have the talent. It looked like the writing was on the wall when he wasn't put on the veterans side in the last camp.

Maybe Feaster calling him out will be a wake up call to work on his game. He hasn't got a lot of time left, especially with this team.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

I give him a year or two more. He's 23 and still has a bit of time to work up to an NHL regular. Will he ever be the next Regehr some called him a while ago? No. Could he still become a usable NHL regular? Possibly. I could still see him as a good #6/7 on a pro team similar to an Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (more if he manages to work out some of his durability problems).
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

certainly not the best sign, but he's only played 5 NHL games, and I think Feaster doesn't want to drop him into a playoff race, versus next october when games are not as intense
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Nemisz/Breen
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The impression I got from the Feaster interview, was that Pelech, still needs some work
and that it would not be fair to ether Pelech or the Flames to put him in now, with all that is at risk. That is not to rule out, them giving him a good shot to prove him self next year,when there would be more time and forgiveness for mistakes.
Nemisz/Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the guy is a bust. He's just not ready for the NHL because of the speed. I've seen him play in a couple of pre-season and I was not really that impressed with his play. I know a lot of people are putting stock on the guy. He is a defenseman and usually defenseman and goalies takes longer to mature. I wouldn't really give up on this guy. Just because Calgary picked D Brett Carson off waiver, it doesn't mean the Flames are giving up on a guy.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if he even gets qualified. Especially with Erixon being added next year.

Bouwmeester
Regehr
Giordano
Sarich
Babchuk (or Babchuk replacement)
Carson
Mikkelson
Erixon
Brodie
Breen
Pelech

11th on the depth chart and not far ahead of those behind him. I guess there's room for him to be qualified and give him one more camp/season to prove himself.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chucko, Pelech, Irving.... 3 years in a row and no NHL impact as of today... it really puts the team at a disadvantage when you don't get anything out of your first round picks.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder View Post
I don't know if he even gets qualified. Especially with Erixon being added next year.

Bouwmeester
Regehr
Giordano
Sarich
Babchuk (or Babchuk replacement)
Carson
Mikkelson
Erixon
Brodie
Breen
Pelech

11th on the depth chart and not far ahead of those behind him. I guess there's room for him to be qualified and give him one more camp/season to prove himself.
You kind of forgot Pardy there...

Anyways, I just find it hard to believe that Pelech can't keep up to AHL forwards. He seemed to skate a bit better than Sarich from what I could tell.
Ah well, nice to have the depth....
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm of the opinion that who cares.

Guys like Carson, Mikkelsson and Pardy are all better than Pelech and were basically free or a mid round pick. We have a bunch of other players coming up, and having a couple bust (Pelech, Negrin) isn't the end of the world.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I'm of the opinion that who cares.

Guys like Carson, Mikkelsson and Pardy are all better than Pelech and were basically free or a mid round pick. We have a bunch of other players coming up, and having a couple bust (Pelech, Negrin) isn't the end of the world.
I wouldnt call Pelech has a bust yet.

Negrin turns 22 in March and has had injury problems the past couple years..not sure why you are calling him a bust right now..
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beerfest For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pelech could very well be a bust, tough for the kid to develop properly with all those injuries though.

Just for kicks I had to go back and look to see who we could have drafted instead that year....

#26 - Matt Pelech

#28 - Matt Niskanen
#33 - James Neal
#35 - Marc-Eduard Vlasic
#44 - Paul Stastny

Ouch, I gotta quit doin' that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
Way to early to call either one a bust..especially Negrin..
I know. Probably a year or two to completely write them off, like Chucko. But if they do, it's not a big deal.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #17
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I know. Probably a year or two to completely write them off, like Chucko. But if they do, it's not a big deal.
I edited my post a bit, but you quoted it before I could, haha.

If Negrin can stay healthy next year will be huge for him.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #18
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
I edited my post a bit, but you quoted it before I could, haha.

If Negrin can stay healthy next year will be huge for him.
I'm hoping that they can be healthy and develop into something useful down the road, but really with getting Mikkelsson and Carson, it's almost as if they got players that replace what both Negrin and Pelech should've developed into by now.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #19
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

God, the Flames drafting is atrocious. After almost 20 years of poor draft picks, I have no qualms saying that and is quite honestly one of the most frustrating things about the organization.

I love the Flames, but enough is enough already.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #20
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post
Chucko, Pelech, Irving.... 3 years in a row and no NHL impact as of today... it really puts the team at a disadvantage when you don't get anything out of your first round picks.
At least Irving is playing pretty well in the AHL this year, is he not?

With Kipper our starter for a few more years still, no need to rush him, especially if we have Karlsson as a back-up. I'd rather have Irving down in the AHL getting a ton of game time over him sitting on the bench with the Flames.

I know you didn't say he is a busy, just saying there is no rush on him as he is improving still. It isn't like we need him right now anyway so it isn't hurting the team. Unlike if we had a good forward prospect who didn't do anything (Chucko).
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote