Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Jim Playfair

I think hes an overrated coach and theres a reason why hes not at the NHL level. The Heat once again got shutout tonight..1 goal in 3 straight home games..I really hope the Flames cut ties with him during this year or in the off-season..
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Uh, Jim Playfair is doing alot with the youngest team by far in the AHL. I don't really think he is to blame for their struggles. This is kind of what happens with a team full of young players.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeremywilhelm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Uh, Jim Playfair is doing alot with the youngest team by far in the AHL. I don't really think he is to blame for their struggles. This is kind of what happens with a team full of young players.
Define "alot" because im not seeing it.

He sat Brodie last game..wow good work Playfair..sitting an offensive player while the team continues to lose and score barely any goals..ugh.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
Define "alot" because im not seeing it.

He sat Brodie last game..wow good work Playfair..sitting an offensive player while the team continues to lose and score barely any goals..ugh.
Brodie was struggling. Making bad turnovers and bad decisions. I've also heard a few rumors that his head is getting a little big and the coaches wanted him to humble himself a little.

He is a good Dman for the Heat, but if he isn't being a team player then this might be contributing to the losses more than just lack of scoring. The kid plays huge minutes.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie was struggling. Making bad turnovers and bad decisions. I've also heard a few rumors that his head is getting a little big and the coaches wanted him to humble himself a little.

He is a good Dman for the Heat, but if he isn't being a team player then this might be contributing to the losses more than just lack of scoring. The kid plays huge minutes.
Haven't watched, but it was discussed on this board in its own thread. Wasn't something said by the organization that it was to send him a message? Who knows what he said to Brodie as well? For all we know he could've described where he's making mistakes, and said he wants him to rest, watch a game from the press-box, then sit down for a video session with the coach. Scratching someone isn't always bad. Also, since he plays big minutes when he does play, you want him playing a good game overall, while using his skillset to put up points.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I believe the Heat are the youngest team in the AHL which would lead to some struggles, lots of kids learning how to be pros and learn how to play the pro game which is a lot different for them, considering most of them were very good jr players.

Personally, I think Jim was just one of Darryl's scapegoats. He didn't get a fair shake with the Flames, he did a good job with the Flames imo.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Playfair is an outstanding coach. IMO he had a good year as the flames coach, and maybe should have been given more opportunity. I wouldn't mind him being given a second chance if management sees it fit.

Are you just looking @ stat sheets and not liking how he's running the Heat? That's ludicrous if so...
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
I think Playfair is an outstanding coach. IMO he had a good year as the flames coach, and maybe should have been given more opportunity. I wouldn't mind him being given a second chance if management sees it fit.

Are you just looking @ stat sheets and not liking how he's running the Heat? That's ludicrous if so...
Playfairs' team backed into the playoffs and he couldnt get the team to play good in Detroit during the playoffs.

Last edited by Beerfest; 01-04-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Same excuse we heard while they were in the quad cities.

I however think Jim is a good coach for the younger guys. He will implement a system that works to get them ready.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #10
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Same excuse we heard while they were in the quad cities.

I however think Jim is a good coach for the younger guys. He will implement a system that works to get them ready.
A system that seems to suck out all the offensive potential they have? Because thats what he seems to have implemented.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beerfest For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #11
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

How many Heat games have you seen this season Beerfest? Have you watched any of the Heat practices? Have you been inside the locker room at all?

I'm guessing zero, no, and no which means you're talking about something you don't know anything about. Your two coaching threads sound like a bunch of whining to me.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #12
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just wouldn't be Calgarypuck without a Fire Playfair! thread.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
voiceofreason
Draft Pick

Default Are you kidding me?

Quote:

Brodie was not struggling, he just has no one to pass the puck to or at least no one who can handle the pass. His first game back wasn't great, granted, but neither was anyone else's. Having watched the majority of the games this year, Brodie is always, almost without exception, the best player on the ice. He has hockey sense and skills that the rest of the team can only dream of. I'm not sure where people are getting this "big head" theory from, Playfair said that he wasn't doing what he was told. That doesn't mean that he has a big head, Playfair may have just sat him and told him to watch a player who does what Playfair wants Brodie to do, that's part of the development process. And I've read some stuff on here that refers to Brodie as a puck hog, again, not sure where this is coming from, but if you actually watch the games, he is always looking for the pass. If no one is in position, he'll skate with it because that's what he's good at but it's always pass first. Last night, if you were watching, it was Brodie's ability to control the puck and see the development of the play in the offensive end that sparked the third period play (unfortunately the team, Brodie included, couldn't hit the net to save their lives). Honestly, sometimes I wonder what games you folks are watching.

In any case, unless the likes of Brodie, Pelech and Seabrook get some support, this season is going to be a lost cause.

Which brings us to Playfair.

This guys seems to be a love em or hate em kinda guy. Personally, I have mixed emotions. He seems to be poised when the team is doing well but completely melts down when they are in a tough stretch. He seems to have been pegged (within the flames organization, in any case) as a great developmental coach but I'm not sure who it is that he can say he's developed. Certainly over the past couple years, the spects that head to the heat don't seem to be getting any better, and in most cases worse. Every player on that team, particularly the draft picks, are there because the Flames saw potential in them and, under Playfair, they simply aren't achieving that potential which means he isn't doing his job, period. I think a change is definitely in order. What does Calgary really have to loose?
voiceofreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
Brodie was not struggling, he just has no one to pass the puck to or at least no one who can handle the pass. His first game back wasn't great, granted, but neither was anyone else's. Having watched the majority of the games this year, Brodie is always, almost without exception, the best player on the ice. He has hockey sense and skills that the rest of the team can only dream of. I'm not sure where people are getting this "big head" theory from, Playfair said that he wasn't doing what he was told. That doesn't mean that he has a big head, Playfair may have just sat him and told him to watch a player who does what Playfair wants Brodie to do, that's part of the development process. And I've read some stuff on here that refers to Brodie as a puck hog, again, not sure where this is coming from, but if you actually watch the games, he is always looking for the pass. If no one is in position, he'll skate with it because that's what he's good at but it's always pass first. Last night, if you were watching, it was Brodie's ability to control the puck and see the development of the play in the offensive end that sparked the third period play (unfortunately the team, Brodie included, couldn't hit the net to save their lives). Honestly, sometimes I wonder what games you folks are watching.

In any case, unless the likes of Brodie, Pelech and Seabrook get some support, this season is going to be a lost cause.

Which brings us to Playfair.

This guys seems to be a love em or hate em kinda guy. Personally, I have mixed emotions. He seems to be poised when the team is doing well but completely melts down when they are in a tough stretch. He seems to have been pegged (within the flames organization, in any case) as a great developmental coach but I'm not sure who it is that he can say he's developed. Certainly over the past couple years, the spects that head to the heat don't seem to be getting any better, and in most cases worse. Every player on that team, particularly the draft picks, are there because the Flames saw potential in them and, under Playfair, they simply aren't achieving that potential which means he isn't doing his job, period. I think a change is definitely in order. What does Calgary really have to loose?
I've known TJ since he was born and he was never a puck-hog- Not in Saginaw, not in Barrie. Not even when he played for the Leamington Flyers. He was one of the most beloved players on the ice and if you read the 'polls' for the Heat, he seems like he's well-liked there as well. I could watch the Barrie Colts games on cable but I can't get any Abby games here, so I am not sure what is going on. I know that he has 13 assists- so it simply doesn't make sense that people report him as being a puck hog and not wanting to pass. TJ has always been a kid who's lit up the offense with his passing ability and his ability to make things happen. He has always looked to pass first.

Last year alone between Saginaw and Barrie TJ had 49 assists in regular season play alone, and 15 points in 17 playoff games- 14 being assists.

He's not a puck hog. Now, if he's doing something stupid and needs to sit for being young and dumb, I can understand it. If he has a bit of a big head because he did so well in camp this year, that's understandable too. However, Playfair has more than just TJ to work with- things don't seem to be going well lately. He sat TJ, he sat Seabrook and he says he's not happy with the young guys- whatever that means.

2006–07 Leamington Flyers WOHL 43 8 38 46 104 — — — — —
2006–07 Saginaw Spirit OHL 20 0 4 4 23 3 0 1 1 2
2007–08 Saginaw Spirit OHL 68 4 26 30 73 4 0 3 3 2
2008–09 Saginaw Spirit OHL 63 12 38 50 67 8 3 6 9 8
2009–10 Saginaw Spirit OHL 19 4 19 23 20 — — — — —
2009–10 Barrie Colts OHL 46 3 30 33 38 17 1 14 15 14
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The game was a lot closer than the 4-0 score last night indicated. Lots of really unlucky bounces on close scoring chances, particularly for John Rheault. Playfair is worth keeping around in case he ever flips out again.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread is a blast from the past. Fire Playfair!
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
This thread is a blast from the past. Fire Playfair!
Didnt you here though..apparently everyone thinks hes an awesome coach now!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Flames are in 14th in the west, and we have a thread about the AHL coach? I think there are bigger issues at hand.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
A system that seems to suck out all the offensive potential they have? Because thats what he seems to have implemented.
You sure you're a Calgary fan? That's been our MO for a while now. Defense defense defense!!!

We were told that winning in the AHL didn't matter and we shouldn't care. It's all about getting the guys ready for the NHL.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #20
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also what do you expect from the guys? They are no where near any other AHL team. They have to travel tons more than everyone else in the league. It takes it's toll on them.