Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #1221
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Busy week last week with lots of dog attacks, but good to see charges are being laid.

From the Calgary Herald:
A Husky and a Bouvier attacked and killed a cat in an alley in Rosedale on Aug. 12, said Abdul Rafih, the acting manager of north operations at Animal and Bylaw Services.
The owner is being charged for having the dogs at large and for his animals causing death to another animal. Poor cat, I imagine that was a pretty grizzly scene.

And another one (same Herald article):
Two other people were also charged after another incident where a Great Dane attacked a woman and her dog.
Like the other attack, the Great Dane wasn't on a leash and the winner of an owner left the scene. Luckily he was tracked down and charged (along with his wife).

And in a third attempted attack, some dummies had their dog in their front yard yesterday morning and it attacked my wife as she rode her bike by their property. It wasn't on a leash, either, and chased her for half a block barking and nipping at her feet. Luckily she was able to pedal away as the dog was relatively small, but it did scare her.

Dog owners: Please put your dogs on leashes. It's not only common sense; it's also the law.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #1222
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
A Husky and a Bouvier attacked and killed a cat in an alley in Rosedale on Aug. 12, said Abdul Rafih, the acting manager of north operations at Animal and Bylaw Services

Dog owners: Please put your dogs on leashes. It's not only common sense; it's also the law.
This could also be a warning to cat owners: keep your F'in cats indoors. They're not allowed to be 'at large' either. I have two in my neighborhood that walk around on peoples fences & provoke the #### out of the dogs in those yards. It leads to aggressive behaviour in the dogs, and the barking is annoying as hell.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #1223
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
This could also be a warning to cat owners: keep your F'in cats indoors. They're not allowed to be 'at large' either. I have two in my neighborhood that walk around on peoples fences & provoke the #### out of the dogs in those yards. It leads to aggressive behaviour in the dogs, and the barking is annoying as hell.

As a cat owner, I couldn't agree more.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #1224
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And in a third attempted attack, some dummies had their dog in their front yard yesterday morning and it attacked my wife as she rode her bike by their property. It wasn't on a leash, either, and chased her for half a block barking and nipping at her feet. Luckily she was able to pedal away as the dog was relatively small, but it did scare her.
Oh the horror.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #1225
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Busy week last week with lots of dog attacks,

A Husky and a Bouvier attacked and killed a cat...

a Great Dane attacked a woman and her dog.

chased her for half a block barking and nipping at her feet. Luckily she was able to pedal away as the dog was relatively small, but it did scare her.

One of these things is not like the others...
but I agree, Dogs need to be kept on their leash.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #1226
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

So whenever this thread gets bumped, just assume the attacking dog is a pit bull unless otherwise noted. From the Herald:
Charges have been laid against a pit bull owner after a man was seriously injured in a dog attack at a Monterey Park home Thursday. Animal and Bylaw officers were called to a northeast home around 7:30 p.m. after a 61-year-old was bitten by a pit bull.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #1227
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

So an upstanding young chap in Edmonton left his gate open and four dogs escaped from his yard and proceeded to maul a lady and her dog who happened to walk by. Thankfully, a Good Samaritan heard the commotion and distracted the dogs who ended up surrounding him while he stood on the roof of his car to get away from them.

Are we going to eventually crack down on people who own a pack of dogs? One or two, fine, but more than that just seems crazy.

Oh, and the dog owner had these wise words to say: “I don’t want my dogs put down because I don’t feel they are a danger.”
Old 09-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #1228
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ well if he doesn't feel they are a danger, who are we to hurt his feelings?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #1229
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Most Cities do have bylaws on number of dogs permitted in a single residence.
As per Edmonton's:
LIMIT ON DOGS,
RESTRICTED DOGS
AND CATS
29 (1) No person shall keep or have more than three Dogs, Nuisance
Dogs, Restricted Dogs, or any combination thereof on any
premises with a municipal address in the City.

After reading the story, sounds like the owner has 3 of his own, and says the fourth is a friends, he may still be in breach of the bylaw, for having more than 3 on the residence. The three of his own are AkitaxPitbull (Staffordshire terrier) crosses. While he may be within the law to own all three, I agree, it is a little over the top.
They will all have to be registered as Restricted dogs now, which makes his licensing go from $75/per to $250/per. I'm sure his friend will not be impressed.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #1230
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
dogs? One or two, fine
And just like that I now have a new signature. Thanks!
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #1231
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Geez, I give an inch and you take a mile! Makes me think I should be little more militant in my views hah.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #1232
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to UB, I just learned that you're a big softy towards dogs, donating to Mayer's dog Buddy, helping him get the surgery he needed.

Fraud!!
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #1233
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can understand the desire to have your dog off leash, and in some situations or environments, it's probably beneficial to the dog as well.

If you do not have 100% recall from your dog, however, they should never be off leash within the city. It's not fair to other dog owners.

Unfortunately I've had a run in with a couple of offleash dogs in my area, dogs I know. Little terriers or frenchies, running up to my massive shepherd. Unfortunately for the other dogs, it hasn't worked out well for them, but if you won't neuter your dog or put a leash on them because they are little, there isn't much I can to prevent my dog from defending himself after getting bit while he's on leash.

I'm empathetic, but for chrissake, neuter and leash your dogs! Just because my dog will win the fight doesn't mean I want him to.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #1234
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was recently visiting Calgary. Two Saturdays ago, at about 1am, I was walking with a friend down 20th ave. NW. About a block away I could see two large dogs running towards me. Their owner was about half a block behind them when they took off. I like dogs so I didn't panic.

The dogs were quick and it wasn't until they were next to me, smelling my outstretched hand, that their owner yelled out asking if they I 'have a problem with dogs' or something to that effect. My answer to that would typically be 'no' but at that point it didn't much matter.

It also wasn't until that point that I saw they were unmuzzled pit bulls. The owner confirmed the same when I asked him what breed the dogs were. These are dogs I try to avoid. The owner seemed like a nice enough guy and the dogs were gentle with me and went on their way. But this is a perfect example of the seemingly inconsequential careless dog ownership that needs to be nipped in the bud. The dogs were not legally off-leash. It was late at night. If I had been startled or moved suddenly who knows what would have happened. Very irresponsible owner behaviour that leads to the kind of unnecessary attacks we read about.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!

Last edited by fatso; 09-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #1235
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's one that goes the other way. Absolutely horrifying. Three dogs attacked with what looks like a machete and an axe. One dog died, presumably from a crushed skull and blood loss after being hit with an axe. Another had it's ear completely hacked off.

Owner was assaulted a week earlier and the dog attack might be related. Completely sick and twisted.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1569357/wa...cked-one-dead/
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 AM   #1236
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I don't condone animal abuse in any way shape or form, but a smallish dog bit me twice on the street without an owner anywhere in sight and I booted that dog about 10 feet.

I feel as though he probably wasn't hurt very much but he definitely didn't try to come at me again.

Another time I was chased by a pack of wild dogs in Iraq, they chased me about 100 meters before I turned around and started throwing my crescent wrench, hard hat and rocks at them.

Those ones would have ripped me to shreds.

Stupid dogs, I hate them.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 09-18-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #1237
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I don't condone animal abuse in any way shape or form, but a smallish dog bit me twice on the street without an owner anywhere in sight and I booted that dog about 10 feet.

I feel as though he probably wasn't hurt very much but he definitely didn't try to come at me again.

Another time I was chased by a pack of wild dogs in Iraq, they chased me about 100 meters before I turned around and started throwing my crescent wrench, hard hat and rocks at them.

Those ones would have ripped me to shreds.

Stupid dogs, I hate them.
I think it's safe to say that wouldn't be considered animal abuse, I'd give you a pass with self defense.
Now if you were just kicking puppies, we may have a problem.

I have always owned dogs, and would never even consider abusing an animal, but i have also been attacked on several occasions, by other peoples dogs, and in some instances, if they were not able to control their animal, and stop an attack, I had no issue, or guilt with giving a dog a swift kick, or a good smack upside the head.
They are after all, animals, with sharp teeth, and claws, I am not going to allow myself to be mauled out of fear of what an owner might say when they see me protect myself.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #1238
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Want to play 'guess the breed' in the latest reported dog attack in Calgary from four days ago that "left a woman with serious injuries to her face"?

From the article in the Calgary Herald:
Animal and bylaw services laid two charges — attack causing severe injury and unlicensed dog — against the dog owner.
GD pitbulls and their GD owners.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #1239
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sliver all well and good to report dog attacks on man, but fair is fair, you gotta report man attacks on dog.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...207/story.html

Quote:
A 38-year-old Calgary man has been handed a one-year conditional jail sentence for punching and biting a police dog unleashed on him when he resisted arrested in connection to a stolen vehicle.
Lance Leon Myran pleaded guilty to taking a motor vehicle without consent, wilfully causing pain or suffering or injury to an animal, and obstructing a peace officer. He will spend the first six months of the sentence under house arrest.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #1240
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/10/13...ttacked-by-dog

After the incident, Wilson said, the woman would not respond or give out any information other than a random address, which city animal and bylaw officials found to be a residence with no record of dog ownership.
“My wife grabbed Jaxon to take him to the hospital and when I started yelling at this woman for her information she gave me a fake address, picked up her dog, and ran away,” Wilson said.

“Especially bringing your dog to a schoolyard, running away and lying about an address — it’s extremely frustrating and unacceptable.”

City bylaws state that dogs are not allowed on any school grounds or playgrounds.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking