Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #441
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I know it doesn't seem like much, but moves like these are really doing nothing to help our organization attract College/Overage Free agents to come play for us.

I realize Abbotsford is in the thick of a heated playoff race, but it appears that the recently eligible players are not even getting a look for a spot.

Turner Elson - No Games Played
Max Reinhart - No Games Played
Brady Lamb - No Games Played
Joey Leach - No Games Played
David Eddy - 2 Games Played

Maybe I am making to much of a deal out of this, but when the heat are consistently icing players like Estoclet, Testwuide, Tuzzolino and Hugh Jessimen, non of which have professional contracts it makes me second guess the decision making down there.
They have won pretty much every game since the first of these players was assigned to Abbotsford.. It will probably take a loss or injury, or even a bad game by an individual for these other players to get a chance. The Heat are pretty healthy right now, one of the few times that's been true this season, and that's making it difficult for the Whl/College signings to crack the lineup. In the meantime, it gives the players a chance to make a bit of money and familiarize themselves with the one ice systems and off ice personnel making their transition to pro next year easier.

Last edited by sworkhard; 04-06-2012 at 05:12 PM.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #442
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworkhard View Post
They have won pretty much every game since the first of these players was assigned to Abbotsford.. It will probably take a loss or injury, or even a bad game by an individual for these other players to get a chance. The Heat are pretty healthy right now, one of the few times that's been true this season, and that's making it difficult for the Whl/College signings to crack the lineup. In the meantime, it gives the players a chance to make a bit of money and familiarize themselves with the one ice systems and off ice personnel making their transition to pro next year easier.
Yeah, I understand that. But it seems pretty difficult to familiarize yourself with a club if you are not even travelling with them.

It's not a huge deal, but giving these players an early opportunity to play immediately will not only help there progression (IMO) but also help attract other players in the future.

I also think some of these players can step in and help immediately, specifically Reinhart and Lamb. But your right, it is tough to make changes to a lineup that is succeeding, so i suppose my criticism's are unnecessary.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #443
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that. But it seems pretty difficult to familiarize yourself with a club if you are not even travelling with them.

It's not a huge deal, but giving these players an early opportunity to play immediately will not only help there progression (IMO) but also help attract other players in the future.

I also think some of these players can step in and help immediately, specifically Reinhart and Lamb. But your right, it is tough to make changes to a lineup that is succeeding, so i suppose my criticism's are unnecessary.
Not completely. Right now, the Heat are deep at the centre position which I think is why Reinhart isn't in (that, combined with learning Ward's systems). Right now, there is no one of the players you listed that can smoothly replace Estoclet on LW - unless Ward wants to try Reinhart at center, which I don't think will happen because the kid is dominant at the center position.

Also, the Heat have a ton of guys trying to draw into the fourth line, which is why Eddy has only been in a couple of times. As for the defensive position, they are very deep at that position as well, which is why Leach and Lamb haven't gotten in yet.

I think very very soon Tuzzolino will be sent back to Alaska (probably after the Heat's small road trip). By then, hopefully Lamb or Leach has learned the system well enough to be given a shot.

Trust me, I understand your frustration. As a Flames fan, I would much much much rather have legitimate Flames prospects in the lineup. But as a Heat fan, I want this team to make the playoffs and go as far as they can. My heart wants the former, my head wants the latter.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #444
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:
wranglers

Countdown to game time. Third row from the ice. Just realized this is a 9:00am start in Abbotsford. Hope the guys aren't still asleep when the puck drops.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #445
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know it doesn't seem like much, but moves like these are really doing nothing to help our organization attract College/Overage Free agents to come play for us.

I realize Abbotsford is in the thick of a heated playoff race, but it appears that the recently eligible players are not even getting a look for a spot.

Turner Elson - No Games Played
Max Reinhart - No Games Played
Brady Lamb - No Games Played
Joey Leach - No Games Played
David Eddy - 2 Games Played

Maybe I am making to much of a deal out of this, but when the heat are consistently icing players like Estoclet, Testwuide, Tuzzolino and Hugh Jessimen, non of which have professional contracts it makes me second guess the decision making down there.
You dance with the ones that brought ya.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #446
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any update on how Horak is performing? Does he look alright at wing?
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #447
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
Countdown to game time. Third row from the ice. Just realized this is a 9:00am start in Abbotsford. Hope the guys aren't still asleep when the puck drops.
Kolanos' line isn't so far haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Any update on how Horak is performing? Does he look alright at wing?
He looks pretty decent out there. You can definitely tell he's spent most of the year in the NHL. He's very good defensively and it seems like he thinks the game through slightly quicker than the opposition. Basically, he's what you normally see with the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #448
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat win 2-1 thanks to two goals by Kolanos!

Great result. They should have that playoff spot all but locked up now.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #449
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Heat win 2-1 thanks to two goals by Kolanos!

Great result. They should have that playoff spot all but locked up now.
Ward has worked magic by putting Kolanos, Byron, and Sylvester together. So much speed. So much tenacity. That line's formula is basically get the puck to Byron or Sylvester they'll take it into the zone, stop at the half wall, wait for "Metal Knees" Kolanos to come into the zone, pass it off to him, and let him snipe it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #450
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of questions. Is Howse just a healthy scratch lately? Also why wasn't Irving in the lineup today?
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #451
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
A couple of questions. Is Howse just a healthy scratch lately? Also why wasn't Irving in the lineup today?
Howse has been hurt. Irving's wife was/is expecting, but I thought she was supposed to have had her baby by now.

"Pierre" probably knows though
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #452
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Howse is out with a knee injury IIRC. And Irving has been out of the lineup for a couple games because his wife gave birth recently I believe.

EDIT. well Johnny beat me to it
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #453
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nvm already answered
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #454
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Second game of the weekend in 15 minutes. Jessiman & PL3 take the warmup. Looks like Desbiens & Eddy sitting this one out.

I plan to summarize the two games tonight when I get home and not on my phone.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #455
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With a single point today, the Heat will clinch a playoff berth! It's their final road game of the season, against the Charolette Checkers. Game just started
Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #456
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ben Walter scores on the power play! Assist to Horak.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #457
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Paul Byron Scores!!!! 2-0 Heat! Kolanos + Sylvester assists. That's his 6th of the season.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #458
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Byron! 2-0 Heat.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #459
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm having a hard time figuring out the lineup. I know this is a line for sure:

Jessiman Laing Rheault
Horak Nemisz Walter is another.
Sylvester Kolanos Byron is think is one too.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #460
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

WOWEE! Hugh Jessiman TORCHES it. 3-0 Heat. Rhealt with an assist.

Tags
heat