Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #41
Phaneuf
SCORING WINGER

Exp:

Don't you guys feel though when blending you waste a lot? There's always so much residue left and it just feels like such a large waste, even if it's delicious.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #42
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take a spoon and try to get as much of the rest of it out to not waste much.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #43
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf View Post
Don't you guys feel though when blending you waste a lot? There's always so much residue left and it just feels like such a large waste, even if it's delicious.
I used to just swish a little bit of cold water around then add that back to my glass. Picks up most of the stragglers.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #44
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Watched the DVD Fat, Sick and Nearly dead. Guy lost a lot of weight. Me, and buddy, and our gfs tried this. Skin got more clear but we felt weak. My gf ran 14 km no problem one day and when she did some walk few days ago she felt weak.

I think it's good to intake more micronutrients. Juicer or a blender would work. Toss in veggies and fruits, some hemp seed or flax, may be some protein.
I for sure would not do for more than 3 or 4 days if juice is the only calories you are taking in.
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw juice cleansing, this is what you need to do.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/04/25...-sunlight-dies
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #46
THowie
Draft Pick

I have several friends who have done a veggie juice cleansing. I guess I like to crunch on my veggies too much to try it. Does it take a lot to get used to drinking it?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #47
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I would say its a lot more efficient to use a blender for a lot of vegetables, especially since most of us are too busy to properly cook them for a meal.

But is it AS healthy? Not sure. I do love a good smoothie though. Throw in some unflavored protein powder, and you've got a great start to the day.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #48
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try being a vegetarian...youll get everything you need, feel much better, lose some unneeded weight and you dont need scam diets or cleansing.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #49
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
The sad irony being that 90% of nutritional 'science' is based on epidemiological studies .... ie. anecdotal evidence on a grand scale.

I'll take my n=1 experiences over industry funded 'science' any day.
I would trust epidemiological studies or in your words "anecdotal evidence on a grand scale" because at least they do apply some controls and by nature are basically huge sample size of hundreds of people over a controlled period of time over the word of one guy's testimony and experiences involving arbitrary circumstances that applied to only that person.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THowie View Post
I have several friends who have done a veggie juice cleansing. I guess I like to crunch on my veggies too much to try it. Does it take a lot to get used to drinking it?
There's no such thing as a cleansing. It's basically starvation + vitamin water. Of course you would lose weight.

Crunching on your veggies is much more healthy for you get all the health benefits of the juice and the fibre helps keep you regular and dietary fibre is also linked to cholesterol metabolism.

Also as a matter of personal preference, veggies taste better in salad or snack form and chewed up than in a juiced form which is often bitter and strange tasting because you mix up a bunch of different vegetables that do not complement each other in terms of your taste palate.

Think of it this way, would you rather eat a Pizza or a blended Pizza? The blended Pizza would be gross and just taste like puke or something because all the individual flavors are mixed up in a paste.

Fruit generally tastes better juiced and blended because most fruit in the Western diet share similar profiles in terms of fructose and citric acid content.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-26-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #51
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There's no such thing as a cleansing. It's basically starvation + vitamin water. Of course you would lose weight.

Crunching on your veggies is much more healthy for you get all the health benefits of the juice and the fibre helps keep you regular and dietary fibre is also linked to cholesterol metabolism.

Also as a matter of personal preference, veggies taste better in salad or snack form and chewed up than in a juiced form which is often bitter and strange tasting because you mix up a bunch of different vegetables that do not complement each other in terms of your taste palate.

Think of it this way, would you rather eat a Pizza or a blended Pizza? The blended Pizza would be gross and just taste like puke or something because all the individual flavors are mixed up in a paste.

Fruit generally tastes better juiced and blended because most fruit in the Western diet share similar profiles in terms of fructose and citric acid content.
Serious question, how does blending vegetables remove the fiber?
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #52
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I would trust epidemiological studies or in your words "anecdotal evidence on a grand scale" because at least they do apply some controls and by nature are basically huge sample size of hundreds of people over a controlled period of time over the word of one guy's testimony and experiences involving arbitrary circumstances that applied to only that person.
These studies are most definitely better than individual anecdotes. I'm actually saying neither are good though.

Nutritional epidemiological studies are based on questionnaires and regional food purchase reports. They mean virtually nothing where an individual's health is concerned.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #53
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Ultimately losing weight is just about physical exercise and calorie intake.
You know what's a really cool documentary to watch to see people actually lose weight and gain muscle mass?

Blizzard: Race to the Pole was a modern recreation of the 1912 race to be the first to the South Pole between a Norwegian and a British team. They started off with a bunch of athletic but mildy overweight and flabby guys and sent them to trek to the South Pole based on 1912 rations which we now know were not caloric-ally sufficient but all they are eating are basically dried biscuits, pemmican (dried meat and berries mixed into a lot of fat), and butter and cocoa for several months the whole way. They come out thin and pretty ripped in comparison to when they started. The 1912 team died though...

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #54
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Serious question, how does blending vegetables remove the fiber?
Read the post I was actually quoting. He was asking about juicing and drinking juiced vegetables over just crunching them. He wasn't asking about blended ones.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #55
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Read the post I was actually quoting. He was asking about juicing and drinking juiced vegetables over just crunching them. He wasn't asking about blended ones.
Fair enough, I've just seen that point made a few times in this thread, even regarding blended juices.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #56
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most of the advice is very good...if you want vegetables just eat the vegetables or make a smoothie.

I do want to throw this out there as the poster is looking for an energy boost. While exercise and eating better certainly isn't a abd thing the poster may want to check out some other things if that doesn't work (you should notice a difference in a couple of weeks with better diet and regular exercise).

If you don't notice that up tick in energy or if this fatigue has been dragging on for an extended period of time, for goodness sakes go see a doctor. A couple of common issues that may occur for guys:

-low testosterone. Not as common perhaps and dependent on age but level below 200 can lead to fatigue and levels below 100 to severe fatigue. If you are on a steroid inhaler for something like asthma for an extended period of time this might be an issue (or on other steroids)

-sleep apnea. Pretty common problem. Poor sleep habits leads to fatigue and as my doctor as said until you fix the sleep apnea and start sleeping properly you will never lose weight or feel right (as much as losing weight is caloric intake and exercise some actual medical conditions make it nearly impossible to exercise. Before addressing my sleep apnea it got to the point where while I could go play a game of rec hockey it completely drained me and took me days to recover. I couldn't even think of doing any exercise on those days. It was all I could do to get to work, stay awake at work and get home).

Last edited by ernie; 04-27-2012 at 09:36 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #57
joe_mullen
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I think most of the advice is very good...if you want vegetables just eat the vegetables or make a smoothie.

I do want to throw this out there as the poster is looking for an energy boost. While exercise and eating better certainly isn't a abd thing the poster may want to check out some other things if that doesn't work (you should notice a difference in a couple of weeks with better diet and regular exercise).

If you don't notice that up tick in energy or if this fatigue has been dragging on for an extended period of time, for goodness sakes go see a doctor. A couple of common issues that may occur for guys:

-low testosterone. Not as common perhaps and dependent on age but level below 200 can lead to fatigue and levels below 100 to severe fatigue. If you are on a steroid inhaler for something like asthma for an extended period of time this might be an issue (or on other steroids)

-sleep apnea. Pretty common problem. Poor sleep habits leads to fatigue and as my doctor as said until you fix the sleep apnea and start sleeping properly you will never lose weight or feel right (as much as losing weight is caloric intake and exercise some actual medical conditions make it nearly impossible to exercise. Before addressing my sleep apnea it got to the point where while I could go play a game of rec hockey it completely drained me and took me days to recover. I couldn't even think of doing any exercise on those days. It was all I could do to get to work, stay awake at work and get home).
Being picky here, but inhaled corticosteroids are not absorbed into the blood stream, and hence, have no effect on an individuals energy. If anything, stopping one would likely lead to an asthma exacerbation and decreased energy.
joe_mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #58
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mullen View Post
Being picky here, but inhaled corticosteroids are not absorbed into the blood stream, and hence, have no effect on an individuals energy. If anything, stopping one would likely lead to an asthma exacerbation and decreased energy.
My endrocrinologists all beg to differ. They are also associated with weight gain. The side effect is not as prevalent as it is in pill form oral steroids as the dose is lower but it is a potential side effect for some. There is also a bit of a circle as low testosterone can also lead to asthma symptoms in men. Also, a portion of the medication in an inhaled steroid does cross into the blood. It is not 100% lungs only.

Last edited by ernie; 04-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote