Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Licence Plate question

I did a search, but didn't come up with any relevant threads.

I am getting a new vehicle this week (woot!) and in the process signing over my old vehicle to the dealership (trade in).

Normally I would put my old plates on the new car, but we're also adding my wife's name to the registration and insurance. The dealer seems to think that I'll need NEW plates, because I'm adding my wife. This doesn't seem correct.

I've been all over the Service Alberta website looking for a clear answer, but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any experience in this? It would seem all I have to do is add my wife to the registration, and then I can use my old plates. Is this correct? Or am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are you adding the wife to the registration?

I think the dealer might be right, since you own the current plate and you new a plate that both I you own.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Why are you adding the wife to the registration?

I think the dealer might be right, since you own the current plate and you new a plate that both I you own.
We want the vehicle in both our names, in case something happens (ie: death).

Just something I was advised by friends and family that had to go through the experience of keeping a vehicle that was once registered under their wife's/husband's name, and they passed away.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm thinking I should just be able to add my wife's name to the current registration, and then we can reuse the plate. I don't know. I find this whole process confusing.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought if you're married the property would automatically go to the living spouse.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I thought if you're married the property would automatically go to the living spouse.
As far as I know, that IS the normal process, but there was a situation recently where a friend's spouse was unable to keep a vehicle, because it was under his name.

I don't want to trail too much off topic. I kind of need an answer, or direction, on this by morning. I don't want to have to fork out the money for a new plate, if I don't have to.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I mean...I guess I could just call a registry first thing in the morning and ask.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I transferred my (ex)-wife's and my car (co-ownership) into just her name, and she had to use a new plate. I would assume the opposite would be similar.

I would think that owning the car under your name, and creating a will to avoid any post-mortem confusion would be a better option though. Wouldn't cost you much more, and then you'd have a will out of the deal.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
I mean...I guess I could just call a registry first thing in the morning and ask.
This.......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
This.......
So much for ask for help, right?

I think I found the answers I'm after. I did a little more research, and I'm pretty sure that I can add my wife to the plate (registration) and use the old plate.

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I belive you can add your wife to the plate if the vehicle is a current registration but you'll need a new one if you want a new registration. My wife and I both have a spare plate from previous cars as we needed a new one to register a new car jointly. Also, they do not give you money back for surrendering your old plate any more. Hold on to it just in case.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

One day, my grandpa will no longer be able to drive (hopefully he will still be around).

Is there any way to get his customized plates transferred to me? He's had the same customized plates for 30 years and I'd like to sort of "pass" it down the family.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried to have this done with my plates when I was younger, ie/ moving out of my parents.

I was told they don't change names anymore so I'd need a new plate. Not sure it that was the truth or just a lazy sales person at the registry.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't think you were allowed to keep the old plates on a new car past 48 hours? It's a new car so aren't you required to get new plates when you register anyway?
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

^^ I think that rule is that you are only allowed a certain length of time to make the changes at the registry.

Meaning you can keep your old registration and plates for 48 hours; but within 48 hours you need to get your registration updated to show the correct car.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't think you could change the registration of a plate from one car to another, but I very well could be wrong.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

I had an old beater car, then upgraded to a slightly better beater car, and then bought a brand new car and kept the same plate for all three. I don't believe you need a new plate for a new car.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to normtwofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
I had an old beater car, then upgraded to a slightly better beater car, and then bought a brand new car and kept the same plate for all three. I don't believe you need a new plate for a new car.
The only issue is there is a new owner, not the new car. Since the old owner will be a new owner as well would be the only reason why it might not need to be changed.

I know that you can take a old plate that you still own and apply it to a new vehicle that you also own, even if it hasn't been in use for several months, but I don't know if there is a time limit on that.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Called a registry this morning.

All I have to do is bring in my old registration papers, and show the bill of sale and new insurance papers, which have both names. Then they do a "vehicle ownership correction" and add my wife's name. The cost is $22. I also have the option of taking care of renewal now, for an additional $84.

Good stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh, and then I can use the old plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:

Tags
car , licence plates