Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #101
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
JFC = Jesus Effing Christ

I think the fact that he didn't ask doesn't mean the OP doesn't have to pay. If the fence is a reasonable fence (e.g. like others in the neigbourhood), was installed properly and in the correct location, the OP owes the neigbour some money.

The neigbour still should have discussed it first (again, assuming he didn't), but that doesn't = free fence IMO.
So if a fencing contractor came over to your place and installed a fence without consulting you first and sent you a bill after, then you owe him some money? Hells no. That guy can pound sand.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #102
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
So if a fencing contractor came over to your place and installed a fence without consulting you first and sent you a bill after, then you owe him some money? Hells no. That guy can pound sand.
Again, to live enjoyably among humans, one has to accept that issues are not simply black and white... You don't have to live next to this contractor for the next 10 years - you do have to live with your neighbours. There is a middle ground between being a pushover and being a prick...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #103
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you know what reasonable means.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #104
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
There's a huge difference between your neighbour doing something to improve your property value, and a contractor coming by. And often good neighbours will do things to help the other without being asked. Just last week I "fixed" my neighbour's issue of his downspout draining towards my basement window; and like the OP's neighbour I casually mentioned it once to him before I did anything. (I count the comment of the fence post holes being dug as a casual conversation.) When I was done my neighbour (because he's a good guy) asked how much he owed for materials. Me also being a good guy I said $0.

Building a fence without asking your neighbour first is about a 4 on the 1-10 "jerk scale" IMHO. But then refusing to pay a dime ranks a 6. If materials were $1000 and the OP offerred $300-400 that would have likely stopped any further escallation, and made the OP the good guy here.

But for me the big thing here is the OP should have said something like "Oh, I didn't know you wanted to build a fence. I was going to wait for my work to pick up before adding any more expenses" when the post holes were being dug. Just prior to the fence going up he knew it was going up on his property line.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #105
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Meh, just went through this with a neighbour fencing in some pasture, and he phoned after he had done the job to inform that either we ran another strand of wire or payed for half of the supplies. Wasn't being a dick by any means, but fair is fair as we are both using it, we should both be paying for it. Just part in parcel of being a good neighbour.
dustyanddaflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #106
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

I built a fence last spring. Didn't ask my neighbors for a dime, but told them it was going up. I don't expect any money from them. I wanted the fence, I paid for it.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #107
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I've heard from this thread is that if your neighbor wants to put up a fence and it is properly constructed then it should straddle the property line.

If I don't agree to the fence then it will not straddle the property line it will be located within his property line.

I plan on putting up an aluminium fence around my yard and will not be asking anyone to forcibly split costs with me. I know that aluminum costs more than a wood fence and it may be outside the budget of others. I will be building the fence inside the property line with the proper permits so no one can tell me that it is wrong or not what they wanted. If they don't like the look of my fence they are more than welcome to build their own fence on their own property to block their view of it.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #108
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
One thing I've heard from this thread is that if your neighbor wants to put up a fence and it is properly constructed then it should straddle the property line.

If I don't agree to the fence then it will not straddle the property line it will be located within his property line.

I plan on putting up an aluminium fence around my yard and will not be asking anyone to forcibly split costs with me. I know that aluminum costs more than a wood fence and it may be outside the budget of others. I will be building the fence inside the property line with the proper permits so no one can tell me that it is wrong or not what they wanted. If they don't like the look of my fence they are more than welcome to build their own fence on their own property to block their view of it.
Following the law and being a good neighbour are not necessarily the same thing.

Why don't you just talk to your neighbour before you do it? Maybe he loves aluminum fences as well and you'll save yourself 50%.

BTW, do you have a pic of an aluminum fence? I've seen vinyl fences and kind of like them because they won't rot like wood fences, but they're pricey as well.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #109
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aluminum, as in chain link fence? That stuff is ghetto cheap.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #110
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Following the law and being a good neighbour are not necessarily the same thing.

Why don't you just talk to your neighbour before you do it? Maybe he loves aluminum fences as well and you'll save yourself 50%.

BTW, do you have a pic of an aluminum fence? I've seen vinyl fences and kind of like them because they won't rot like wood fences, but they're pricey as well.
You know what makes for good neighbors? Good fences.

I currently have no neighbors as the houses on either side of me are not completed. If I had neighbors then I might ask if they'd like to share the cost of the fencing on their side of the property. Then if they were game we'd split the cost on the fence that runs along their property (not sure why a neighbor would foot half the bill on a fence that goes all along my property and across the back of the alley). If the neighbor wasn't game then since the fence would be built on my property there would be no issue as long as they didn't attach their fence to mine or paint/mark/w.h.y. the side that faces their yard.

Regal Aluminium products makes fences and that is the brand I have chosen. Their website isn't very good but they have their products at Totem with examples. I'm going with textured yard bronze.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #111
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Aluminum, as in chain link fence? That stuff is ghetto cheap.
Aluminium as in panel fencing.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #112
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Aluminium as in panel fencing.
What's the point?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #113
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's the point?
The point is that since aluminium never rusts and it is powder coated the most maintenance I'd have to do is wash it with a hose. I'm not that into painting a fence every few years and then removing it to rebuild when things have run their course with wood.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #114
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

A properly installed wood fence will last 25 years, which will be about how long the aluminum one will last. Neither PT nor cedar need any sort of painting or staining.

The downside with that aluminum is when your neighbour dents it on his side and you see it. On the other hand it'd be a great heat sink for the plants.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #115
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A properly installed wood fence will last 25 years, which will be about how long the aluminum one will last. Neither PT nor cedar need any sort of painting or staining.
As long as you are happy with the colour of cedar or wish to paint pressure treated wood every two years because the chemicals in the pressure treating prevent paint from properly adhering to it.

Quote:
The downside with that aluminum is when your neighbour dents it on his side and you see it. On the other hand it'd be a great heat sink for the plants.
Actually since the "boards" for the fence are double walled heavy gauge aluminium there's not much chance of a dent showing up on the other side of the fence. It's not a ghetto cheap fence.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #116
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, painting PT wood is optional.

The maintenance-free aspect of aluminum railing is overrated, especially in our harsh climate. Regal's stuff is alright, I wouldn't expect 25 years of no maintenance from it though, and I have some of their stuff. I got other stuff for the deck and it's vastly better.