Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #5381
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ideal Cyclist

https://ggwash.org/view/64071/the-ideal-cyclist-2

An excerpt:

Quote:
The Ideal Cyclist only rides in bike lanes. On streets where there are no bike lanes, the Ideal Cyclist does not ride for fear of offending. He walks his bike along the sidewalk. If someone else is on the sidewalk, the Ideal Cyclist will lift his bicycle above his head and pretend to be an inoffensive street tree. He heeds all passers-by.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #5382
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://shifter.info/most-of-the-time...ays-heres-why/

Interesting little debate on helmets. I wear one 99% of the time, and even though his stats don't necessarily add up proportionally, I agree with the idea that lazy cycling at 10kph without a lid shouldn't be considered any more crazy than hurling yourself down a highway at 120kph with nothing but two straps of leather and some airbags for protection.

If we wanna really talk safety, maybe it's time for 5 point harnesses and helmets in cars? For long-haul driving, we could probably already have technology that senses when you are falling asleep or becoming distracted and electro shock you back into shape.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #5383
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did crazy BMX crap as a kid, none of us wore helmets. I got hurt a lot of times, but one thing I never did hurt was my head. I do wear one all the time now, but I hate mandatory helmet laws. All they do is stop people from riding bikes.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #5384
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it absolutely blows my mind when I see people out in bragg creek riding without a lid. there are lots of rocks that stick up from the ground, even a low speed crash could be very dangerous and then riding down merlin without protection....yikes.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #5385
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wear a helmet for my commute, and when we are riding with the kids. For any type of cruising (heading out for groceries, dinner, etc) no helmet.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #5386
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
it absolutely blows my mind when I see people out in bragg creek riding without a lid. there are lots of rocks that stick up from the ground, even a low speed crash could be very dangerous and then riding down merlin without protection....yikes.
Coming down Sugar Daddy I couldn't even imagine not wearing it. Damn its like they have gnomes that just go around collecting all of the sharp pointy rocks at night and throw them on the trail.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #5387
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
http://shifter.info/most-of-the-time...ays-heres-why/

Interesting little debate on helmets. I wear one 99% of the time, and even though his stats don't necessarily add up proportionally, I agree with the idea that lazy cycling at 10kph without a lid shouldn't be considered any more crazy than hurling yourself down a highway at 120kph with nothing but two straps of leather and some airbags for protection.
I've definitely gotten into it with a few friends and coworkers who preach the helmet gospel in the past. Might forward this article to a couple of them.

I wear a helmet on road rides, mountain biking, and usually in the winter but don't feel it's necessary for my commute (a mostly lazy ride from Kensington -> Beltline), or for casual pathway cruising around town. Curious to see where the rest of CP falls on helmet usage.

Edit:
One of the more common arguments is "what if you get hit by a car" but helmets aren't designed to withstand that kind of impact anyway (in the US, helmets are tested in 2 meter drops where they reach about 20km/h — not even close to the kind of protection you'd need if hit by a 4,000 pound moving object).

Last edited by Flames0910; 07-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #5388
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Funny, I was going to ask you guys if anybody puts on some hockey gear for winter riding. I'm thinking shoulder and elbow pads. Or are the pathways always plowed really well?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #5389
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I go full helmet, mostly because anywhere I have to go could be a little risky and I don't mind it. If I was just riding pathways or shopping nearby I'd probably skip the helmet.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #5390
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

But... but my hair!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #5391
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Funny, I was going to ask you guys if anybody puts on some hockey gear for winter riding. I'm thinking shoulder and elbow pads. Or are the pathways always plowed really well?
They're mostly plowed well. I ride year round, i don't even change my tires. Just be careful when there's fresh snow (never know what's under it. Hidden ice sucks). Always be careful when making turns, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #5392
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes I go for a ski helmet and goggles (when it's really cold), but that's about it. My girlfriend has winter tires with studs in them though.

Pathways are somewhat plowed, but there are gaps in their coverage that can be sketchy. A little armour's probably not a bad idea if you're concerned about slipping the first cold day after after a chinook but you'd probably be OK without it most days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #5393
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wear a helmet for close to 100% of my rides as most of my rides are commuting or trail riding.

thanks to my kids not liking their bikes much, I rarely will go for a casual ride around the 'hood; however, if I did, I'd likely go without a helmet at least some of the time.

warning cool starry bra ahead......

I crashed hard at COP a few years ago, when over my handlebars and landed on my head. broke a small bone in my arm, moved my clavicle somewhat and cracked som ribs, my helmet had a massive dent/puncture in it (it was tossed and replaced) so I'd have to think it made it so I could walk away from the accident.

as an aside, if you ever want front of the line at the emergency room, then show up with a messed up bike helmet. of course I had to deal with them waking me up on an hourly basis as I was in the hospital overnight waiting for surgery to mend my arm.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #5394
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? What tires do you use? I'm not riding in snow on slicks, that's for damned sure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #5395
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schwalbe Marathons
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #5396
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I meant more touring vs semislick vs slick and size, and I think they make like ten different Marathon tires. I probably wouldn't ride in snow with anything less than a cycloX tire but I'm probably just a wimp and never ride in snow anyway so what do I know.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #5397
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
winter biking si not without some suprrises, especially here in Calgary. I do not wear any elbow/knee pads in the winter. I do ride slower, and more deliberately.

I find that the hard thing about winter riding is the evening after it has been a warm march/February day, as the water on the path will start to freeze and it is hard to see. so your are riding and then bam - you can be down, or find your bike not going the direction your body is going and then you put your foot down and you are like bambi on ice.

if it is -20 something then usually the paths are clear, and the surface more predictable as it is ahrd pack snow. if it has snowed a couple of inches and you are riding before the path ahs been plowed, it can be hard to get up to speed, as it is work to ride in pow-pow

I should add I am talking about riding a fat-bike. I would not be keen to ride skiiny tires in the snow.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #5398
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I can't take any article seriously that uses the "word" hella.

That said, I get why some people don't wear helmets in certain situations. For me, I always wear a helmet. I need to protect my money maker. I don't see a helmet as an inconvenience. I don't mind if my hair isn't perfect after I ride my bike. If I was using one of the bike share programs I don't think I'd wear a helmet. I don't want to wear a shared helmet and I don't carry my helmet with me just in case I might ride one. Those bikes are sturdier and slower than my bikes.

In 2009 I was sideswiped by a car. I tried to brace for the impact but when I closed my hands they were on my brakes and I ended up doing a somersault. I landed on the ground with my hands and head all connecting at the same time. I was clipped in so my bike landed on top of me and then bounced away. My helmet cracked on impact, but saved my life, which is why I continue to only wear Giro helmets. This was right in front of my office and I was in a bike lane. The benefits from wearing a helmet far outweigh any inconvenience of not wearing one for me.

I don't care if others don't wear a helmet, but I recommend wearing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #5399
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made it through my first winter with 35mm studded tires. A few days right after a snowfall I couldn't ride in, but the pathways get cleared pretty quick all things considered. I was trying for 3 of 5 days to ride in, hoping to better that this winter.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #5400
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dont wear a helmet 90% of the time. To me I find my self much more self aware of my surroundings, terrain quality, other parties (cars, pedestrians, cyclists).

The only time I go for the helmet is if I'm riding on highway with cars going upwards of 100km/hr. Which is rare considering i spend most of my time in the city, paths or on closed roads.

People always try to convince me to wear one, but funny thing is they are always the one falling off their bike, hitting obstacles, or hurting them self. I have never had a an accident or a near miss.

I understand why a public policy can never advocate no helmets, but for me I find my risk profile drastically changes with wearing a helmet for the worse.

Same theory applies to when I snowboard, ie when I'm just riding I do not wear, however if I'm going into a terrain park to do jumps, rails, ect... I wear one.