Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #5241
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Flats suck. You get better and better at changing them yourself the more you ride.

I always suggest people try changing their tube a few times before the really start commuting. You don't want to be on YouTube trying to figure it out when you really need it.
I tried changing my tube this morning on my driveway. I do have an extra tube but I don't have a tire lever. I was trying to take the tire off using butter knives and flat head screwdrivers and I was scratching the rim so I gave up and drove in.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #5242
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get more robust tires/tube combo on a hybrid if that's how you like to ride. I have 2" Schwalbe touring tires on my commuter and I can hit gravel, hop curbs and go pretty much anywhere without worry.

And yeah, get some tire levers.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #5243
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a bigger guy, and I always run my tires within a few PSI of the maximum noted on the sidewall.

two years ago I got flats ride along the same part of the pathway three times. I wound up buying schwalbe marathon city tires and have not had a flat since. this year I grqabbed a pair of tires from walmart (they seemed to be a little heavier/thicker) as backup tires.

one other tip, if you get a flat from road debris, before dropping in a new tube, slowly run your fingers around the inside of the tire to make sure there is nothing poking thru the tire that could cause a problem with the new tube.

if you are going to be commuting, try to always carry a mini pump, levers and a spare tube with you to fix a roadside issue. keep a couple of tubes at home as well.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #5244
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a way in strava that I can follow a route (like a GPS) while I am biking such as this:

https://www.strava.com/routes/2759931
Old 07-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #5245
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parts of the Stephen Ave cycle track were completely unnavigable this morning due to Stampede crowds. Is it going to like that for the entire duration of the Stampede or just today? I'm fine with increased pedestrian traffic for pancake breakfasts, but it would be nice if they roped off a path so cyclists can still use that infrastructure.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #5246
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Is there a way in strava that I can follow a route (like a GPS) while I am biking such as this:

https://www.strava.com/routes/2759931
I don't think so. It's a feature I'd love though.

I want to do that ride too.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #5247
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Parts of the Stephen Ave cycle track were completely unnavigable this morning due to Stampede crowds. Is it going to like that for the entire duration of the Stampede or just today? I'm fine with increased pedestrian traffic for pancake breakfasts, but it would be nice if they roped off a path so cyclists can still use that infrastructure.
I saw they had walking signs for bikes in certain congested areas. It will be this way for all of Stampede.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #5248
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You can! Did some googling... Star the route on your computer, then go into your profile on your phone, click on routes and they will show up there. Click use route and bob's your uncle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #5249
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Sweet! Now you just need your phone to last 4-5 hours on GPS to do that route.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #5250
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can also load GPX files off of trailforks or google a ride you want to do and gpx and it may show up. Otherwise you need to be premium with Strava and can copy other riders GPX of the rides to see the best way to ride it and if you go off course your Garmin will start going ballistic. This is the likely old way I use.
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #5251
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I saw they had walking signs for bikes in certain congested areas. It will be this way for all of Stampede.
I didn't notice any signs (I assume they were hidden behind the large crowds), but this is some BS. A few years ago, motorists lost their minds when half the lanes along Memorial Dr were closed on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but completely blocking the only east-west cycle track downtown for seven business days is acceptable?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #5252
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5014-5...n-CO2-Inflator

I really like this little guy because it fits into a small saddle bag. You can also control the flow of air, so you don't necessarily blow through an entire canister at once. I think I was able to use the same canister to refill 3 tires over a 6+ month period.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #5253
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wife had her bike stolen from work yesterday in Vancouver. It makes me so angry when people take things that don't belong to them. It was in a locked bike room, but it doesn't take much to get in there. Like most parkades, apartment doors, etc., people will just hold the door for the next person instead of making them open it themselves. She's filed a police report, and we are keeping an eye on craigslist, but aren't too hopeful. It's likely already been turned into crack. I'm not sure what my house insurance will cover, as I had a basic plan during construction. I won't have a more comprehensive plan for a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #5254
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Wife had her bike stolen from work yesterday in Vancouver. It makes me so angry when people take things that don't belong to them. It was in a locked bike room, but it doesn't take much to get in there. Like most parkades, apartment doors, etc., people will just hold the door for the next person instead of making them open it themselves. She's filed a police report, and we are keeping an eye on craigslist, but aren't too hopeful. It's likely already been turned into crack. I'm not sure what my house insurance will cover, as I had a basic plan during construction. I won't have a more comprehensive plan for a month or so.
I hate this. I always ask people to either show me they have keys to get in or wait for their buzz.

People get mad at me when I do this. But its my home, and I don't want randoms walking in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #5255
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sweet! Now you just need your phone to last 4-5 hours on GPS to do that route.
That could be a problem. Ha, I might try it this weekend.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #5256
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Be careful out there...

Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/CMBAlink/po...10191322356886

"Hi folks, we just got word from someone associated with the GBCTA:
Incident at West Bragg Creek.

"The GBCTA has received a report that several mountain bikers were injured on the west Bragg Creek trails after being clotheslined by wire strung across the trail between trees. Cochrane RCMP has not received an incident report, but encourages trail users to use caution on the trails. We are attempting to obtain further information as to the location and date where the incidents occurred. Anyone with information on these incidents, or further encounters are encouraged to contact Cochrane RCMP immediately, or call 911.

"Note that the name of the trail the incident occurred on was not provided. If you do come across something like this, get some pics/video, note the precise location and try to make it safe so that nobody else gets hurt."
Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #5257
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Wtf is wrong with people.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #5258
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Sick - that's the route I created! I have no idea if it's good or not - I want to do it myself!! haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #5259
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I didn't notice any signs (I assume they were hidden behind the large crowds), but this is some BS. A few years ago, motorists lost their minds when half the lanes along Memorial Dr were closed on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but completely blocking the only east-west cycle track downtown for seven business days is acceptable?
Personally, I don't have any problem with it (although it's not in my daily route right now, but it used to be). I've never found it to be the best route as there are always a fair number of pedestrians (aside from late in the evening). I think having access to that route is a privilege, so I always made sure to be slow and courteous.

Using 10th or 3rd shouldn't be the end of the world?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #5260
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Be careful out there...

Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/CMBAlink/po...10191322356886

"Hi folks, we just got word from someone associated with the GBCTA:
Incident at West Bragg Creek.

"The GBCTA has received a report that several mountain bikers were injured on the west Bragg Creek trails after being clotheslined by wire strung across the trail between trees. Cochrane RCMP has not received an incident report, but encourages trail users to use caution on the trails. We are attempting to obtain further information as to the location and date where the incidents occurred. Anyone with information on these incidents, or further encounters are encouraged to contact Cochrane RCMP immediately, or call 911.

"Note that the name of the trail the incident occurred on was not provided. If you do come across something like this, get some pics/video, note the precise location and try to make it safe so that nobody else gets hurt."
Geez, I sometimes hike in the area during shoulder season (don't own a mountain bike) and the bikers are all super friendly, cant see the motivation for this.
Closed Thread