Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #3181
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
Remove the bleed screw off of the highest point, which is the lever. Push your pistons back to full reset, then put screw back in. Have isopropyl alcohol handy in a spray bottle. The dot fluid, if that's what your brakes use, will damage your paint, so after you do this, spray the alcohol where you got fluid, and then wipe it down immediately. The alcohol will neutralize the brake fluid. The brake fluid will also wreck your pads, so make sure those are removed from your front brake, incase the fluid drips down.
So I did this today and then left my bike out in the 32 C degree weather and it seems to work. I cleaned everything as best I could.

There is no fluid leaking out but I'll see after a few days. I actually had my bike at a shop to fix and they screwed it up somehow.

Now one of my levers requires too much clamping till the brake sets in? Easy way to fix that?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #3182
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
So I did this today and then left my bike out in the 32 C degree weather and it seems to work. I cleaned everything as best I could.

There is no fluid leaking out but I'll see after a few days. I actually had my bike at a shop to fix and they screwed it up somehow.

Now one of my levers requires too much clamping till the brake sets in? Easy way to fix that?
PM'd you.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #3183
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary's 5th Street cycle track keeps breaking records

I can't find the cycle track thread so i'll put this here:

Quote:
Monday broke the previous record for daily trips, with 4,660 bikes counted by three automated sensors spaced along the 1.4-kilometre route.

Tuesday then broke the record again, with 5,369 bikes counted, while Wednesday saw 4,925 counted.

The previous record was set during last year's Sled Island music festival — a highly popular downtown event that attracts many guests who arrive by bike.

A total of 4,617 bikes were counted along Fifth Street S.W. on Thursday, June 25, 2015, which marked Day 2 of Sled Island.

Since the Fifth Street cycle track opened on June 12, 2015, the weekday average has been 2,193 bike counts.

That compares to a volume of 1,370 bikes measured at the same three points along the route in September 2014.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #3184
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
PM'd you.
What quadrant of the city are you located in. I might be interested in having bikes tuned up.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #3185
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What quadrant of the city are you located in. I might be interested in having bikes tuned up.
Right now I do pick up and delivery because I live in Cochrane. Moving to SW Calgary in July and at that point will still do the pickups, but if people wanted to drop off, it will be easier. PM if you are interested.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #3186
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Man I wish I had someone that would pickup for me here in Manitoba.

Dropping the bike off at a bike shop and then picking it up is rather annoying since not everyone has room to carry it all the time.

Plus, I don't trust bike shops.

Either way, millhouse11 helped me fix the issues with my bike. I tried so many times to search online for the solution and could find nothing.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #3187
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had no less than 6 people put themselves in a situation where they could be dead on the bike path today. Six. I ended up turning around early because of it. People just randomly deciding to step in front of me without looking, people walking across the path without looking, people deciding that "on your left" means "move further to the left right into my path", and in one case a guy riding his mountain bike out of the bush right onto the path in front of me. "Oh sorry". Yeah, man, sure, sorry, if I hadn't been paying close attention we'd both be bleeding.

That's obviously not counting the usual "there are four of us so we'll just walk across both sides of the pathway, it's fine because if we see someone coming towards us we can just move over and surely there's no possible way anyone could be coming from behind us", or the three separate sets of people who stop to have a conversation with someone on the other side of the path, expecting I suppose for anyone else coming in either direction to just go in between them. That's all just standard fare.

Damned nice day out but good lord people, I'm working hard to not kill any of you, give me a bit of help here.

Unrelated: there are a lot of ornery protective geese out with their goslings.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #3188
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Had no less than 6 people put themselves in a situation where they could be dead on the bike path today. Six. I ended up turning around early because of it. People just randomly deciding to step in front of me without looking, people walking across the path without looking, people deciding that "on your left" means "move further to the left right into my path", and in one case a guy riding his mountain bike out of the bush right onto the path in front of me. "Oh sorry". Yeah, man, sure, sorry, if I hadn't been paying close attention we'd both be bleeding.

That's obviously not counting the usual "there are four of us so we'll just walk across both sides of the pathway, it's fine because if we see someone coming towards us we can just move over and surely there's no possible way anyone could be coming from behind us", or the three separate sets of people who stop to have a conversation with someone on the other side of the path, expecting I suppose for anyone else coming in either direction to just go in between them. That's all just standard fare.

Damned nice day out but good lord people, I'm working hard to not kill any of you, give me a bit of help here.

Unrelated: there are a lot of ornery protective geese out with their goslings.
Last week, on the commute home, I was swinging home over the dam approaching the Rockyview Hospital on a bit of a downslope. I spotted an older lady ahead and rang my bell. She decided to hop to her left as I was passing her. I tried to complete my pass to the left then had to pull right in a two-wheel lockup. I stopped, and she started to lustily berate me. First instinct was to let her have it - then I assertively said "Please always stay to the right. It's just like driving." She stalked up to me, and it was readily apparent she was hearing impaired. We wound up having a 10-minute conversation - turns out she usually walks with a group that keeps an eye on her. We parted with a hug and both headed on our way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pope04 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #3189
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure hope that the wind does not change direction sometime today (unless it helps the fire situation in fort mac) as I rode into it this morning, and I have paid the price and should be entitled to reap the reward on the way home tonight.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #3190
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I sure hope that the wind does not change direction sometime today (unless it helps the fire situation in fort mac) as I rode into it this morning, and I have paid the price and should be entitled to reap the reward on the way home tonight.
You must be new to cycling, because that's not how it works!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #3191
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
I'm putting my faith in the aviation forecast showing nothing but winds out of the north for today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #3192
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just picked my new whip for the summer. Just in time as my old ride has completely imploded.

Norco Threshold A105

Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #3193
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
lol - not new to cycling, just hoping for a good strava time on the way home
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #3194
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wind took 10 minutes off of my ride home.....did some pathway cruising at 32-35 kph
Old 05-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #3195
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Wind took 10 minutes off of my ride home.....did some pathway cruising at 32-35 kph
The cycling gods will take that time back.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #3196
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say those gods mostly take.......
Old 05-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #3197
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You're never as good as you think (tailwind), nor as bad as you fear (headwind). Somewhere in the middle lies the truth
Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #3198
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Just picked my new whip for the summer. Just in time as my old ride has completely imploded.

Norco Threshold A105
Well I took it out for the first time yesterday and shattered all my personal bests on Strava. I think I'm going to like this bike.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #3199
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

God, I'm such a pansy this week. Must.....find.....motiviation......to....ride. Ugh, feeling so lazy and uninspired. Got on a good roll last week and feel like I'm pissing it away.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #3200
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You must have a good alternative? My alternative is the bus. Not taknig it is motivation enough for me to ride.
Closed Thread