Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #61
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan looks a lot better than Sven. Surprised by that.
Sven needs to play with more urgency if he is going to be a solid second line productive winger, long term.

Last edited by timbit; 09-25-2013 at 10:01 PM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #62
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
You should watch Buffalo's defense. Don't know how their numbers work out, but apparently both Ristolainen and Zadorov could be good enough for the NHL. With Myers, that'll be such a huge top-4 in the near future.
Risto makes that team, no question. Can tell he played with men for the last 2 years, very composed a d effective. Zadorov just signed his elc yesterday but Regier eluded that he likley goes back to a very good knights team for the mem cup season. Pysyk has been outstanding this camp. Buf might have the best and biggest young d in the league, system wise.

Last edited by TurdFerguson; 09-26-2013 at 08:02 AM.
TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #63
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to say it but I wouldn't be totally opposed to shopping Sven if he still holds high value. I love the guy but have not been happy how frustrated he gets. I understand that he is still a kid and have no problems keeping him but with Cammy, Glencross, Hudler on the left side now and Gaudreau, and Klimchuck in the pipeline we are so stocked on LW. Sven also has been injury prone in North American which gives me some concerns. I know I am jumping the gun here and expectations are too high but I am not convinced Sven should be untouchable.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #64
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I hate to say it but I wouldn't be totally opposed to shopping Sven if he still holds high value. I love the guy but have not been happy how frustrated he gets. I understand that he is still a kid and have no problems keeping him but with Cammy, Glencross, Hudler on the left side now and Gaudreau, and Klimchuck in the pipeline we are so stocked on LW. Sven also has been injury prone in North American which gives me some concerns. I know I am jumping the gun here and expectations are too high but I am not convinced Sven should be untouchable.
Funny to read this, I was just saying the same thing last night. I think if he gets injured again or gets sent to the heat management has to start thinking about it.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #65
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He hasn't even played 25 games in the nhl and people are already over him? He is still learning to be a pro and he has game breaking abilities. He has shown flashes and lacks some consistency but what player with that little time hasn't? Shopping Sven at this point is rediculous, what would you even want for him that we don't already have from him? A cagey veteran or a draft pick that has as much chance if success as he already has
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #66
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01
Um, why don't we just, you know, keep him? Fact is, Sven has performed in the NHL unlike Gaudreau, Klimchuck, Monahan, etc, and is younger than Cammy, GlenX and Hudler.

He had only played 25 NHL games, thinking of shopping him is a backwards consideration.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #67
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's way too early to give up on Sven. To me right now it appears he has to work on the mental part of the professional game and coping with things not being as easy as they were in junior. He seems to get overly negative when things don't go his way rather than using it as a stepping stone and battling hard to get over the hurdles.

I will say however as I have said before in that I feel some fans have overrated his impact in the NHL as I don't feel he's a franchise player and more of a skilled top 3/6 forward like Cammalleri. Still very valuable but he's not going to make anyone forget about Jarome Iginla.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #68
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah people are giving up on Sven way too soon. This is still the guy who put up a PPG in the last 7 games last year and he is still only 20 years old.

Guy got a little ahead of himself and decided not to give it 100% in training camp since he thought he was a lock, wouldn't be the first 20 year old to do that.

Plus it's not like the rest of the veterans over the last couple years were giving 100% in camp either, and those were the guys Sven has been learning from the last couple years.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #69
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Achieving your potential is NOT a linear process - there are some peaks and valleys along the way.

Giving up on kids at 20 years of age is how you build a franchise like the Islanders have been for the past 20 years.

Show some fricking patience.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #70
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I definitely am over-reacting and said as much in my initial post. I just have not been a fan of his negative attitude that is being portrayed in the media. It is probably over-blown and I have little doubt Sven has all the tools to be a top line player. I am concerned over his injury history but again I am over-reacting and acknowledge that. I think the biggest problem is he is putting too much pressure on himself

Last edited by Vinny01; 09-26-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #71
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^

What negative attitude?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #72
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
^^^

What negative attitude?
This 'negative attitude' is a CP myth.

Baertschi, if anything, cares too much about his performance & expects so much of himself that it affects his performance. Everyone in the organisation has admitted as much. He's got a great attitude! Sven just needs to find his mojo & he'll go on a streak.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #73
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Young players struggle with consistency. If fans are already showing they can't handle that from one of the few young players actually on the team - then they are going to have some hard years ahead of them.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #74
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I definitely am over-reacting and said as much in my initial post. I just have not been a fan of his negative attitude that is being portrayed in the media. It is probably over-blown and I have little doubt Sven has all the tools to be a top line player. I am concerned over his injury history but again I am over-reacting and acknowledge that. I think the biggest problem is he is putting too much pressure on himself
The only negative attitude I'm aware of is the one he has regarding his own bad performances. He wears his heart on his sleeve, which may not always be a great thing, but sometimes it's good to be openly negative about not achieving what you hope for.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #75
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he gets down on himself too easily the kid just needs to stop putting so much pressure on himself. He will be fine he needs to stay positive
Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #76
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's way too early to give up on Sven. To me right now it appears he has to work on the mental part of the professional game and coping with things not being as easy as they were in junior. He seems to get overly negative when things don't go his way rather than using it as a stepping stone and battling hard to get over the hurdles.

I will say however as I have said before in that I feel some fans have overrated his impact in the NHL as I don't feel he's a franchise player and more of a skilled top 3/6 forward like Cammalleri. Still very valuable but he's not going to make anyone forget about Jarome Iginla.
Who's Jarome Iginla?
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #77
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Young players struggle with consistency. If fans are already showing they can't handle that from one of the few young players actually on the team - then they are going to have some hard years ahead of them.
Great point. I think people forget how inconsistent Iggy was when he first started off with the Flames too. Look at what he has done since then. You can't give up on young talent that easily.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #78
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Shinkaruk and Horvat make the Canucks for at least the 9 game tryout:

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 7m Take note London and Medicine Hat...just been told Canucks' 1st Rd Picks Horvat and Shinkaruk will start the season in the NHL.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #79
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

good god, the fan are gonna eat this kid alive. LEAVE SVEN ALONE!
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #80
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Shinkaruk and Horvat make the Canucks for at least the 9 game tryout:

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 7m Take note London and Medicine Hat...just been told Canucks' 1st Rd Picks Horvat and Shinkaruk will start the season in the NHL.
Horvat I am not surprised about. The games I have watched, he doesn't look out of place. Has the frame and skills to stick.

Shinkaruk I am very surprised about. From the games I have watched (prospect tourney and pre-season games) he has looked out of place a lot.

Swayze11 is online now   Reply With Quote