Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #201
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if McGrattan is looking to come back. If so, then that is really the only reason to be upset at signing Gazdic.

Gazdic is a pretty tough guy. The AHL is not like the NHL where that role has disappeared. Even in the NHL, that role is not without its' merits, as you don't need one for 95% of the season... until you do. Teams choose not to carry them any longer, but guys who can play AND are tough are worth a premium these days (just look at the Pittsburgh trade during the draft, for instance).

That's why I am personally on-board with bringing back Iginla, as he can at least do that part of the game really nicely (I honestly didn't think he could hang with Engelland any longer, but boy did he ever).

I think Treliving has done a good job this off-season. I may not have exactly loved every move, but but this team this season is stronger than last season, and has a few less holes. This is the most complete team on paper that I have seen since the very early 90's at least. Obviously not as deep and bullet-proof as the late 80's, but boy is it going to be fun being a Flames' fan this season.

I, for one, am glad that the Flames made it through the first day of UFA completely unscathed, opting to fill some holes in the AHL over adding any substantial cap hit to the NHL team. I am firmly in the camp that unless Treliving brings in Jagr (admittedly, mostly because I love the guy and still enjoy watching him play) or Iginla (for the toughness and decent amount of depth scoring he may provide), I want the Flames to completely stay out of signings (other than perhaps a few AHL level).

Jankowski, Lazar, Foo, Shinkaruk, Poirier and perhaps Klimchuk can all do with some NHL exposure his year (if not outright spots in some cases). I like the team as is. I liked that the one move that they were looking at seriously was Sharp who was a very low-cost contract. I liked how you stopped hearing that Calgary was considering Marleau, and after his signing today, we know why.

Treliving isn't stepping on any minefields. That's good enough for me.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #202
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Between the two veteran goalies and at least one of the youngsters we will be fine ��
We better hope. After watching Smith of the last couple of years, that is all I think we have. I hope I'm eating crow on this and lauding Trelivimg for the astute pickup, but I just don't get a warm and fuzzy from either Smith or Lack and think this is another mistake. Time will tell. I hope you all get to rub my nose in how wrong my gut is on this, I really do.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #203
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call him up for the first Oilers game
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #204
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm going to give Treliving some props for something he didn't do in the last two days: Sign Marleau to that god awful contract the Leafs did. Smart, smart man. Sometimes the best decisions are the ones you don't do.
Yeah, he put in a lot of work over the past two weeks so he wasn't in a position to get caught up in the bidding on July 1. Quite pleased with that
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #205
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Treliving has learned from last year. The Brouwer signing hasn't gone well so far and I think he doesn't want to make that mistake again. No point going big game hunting in the free agent market. Still see a depth signing by the end of this week.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #206
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are with happy with the team as it is going into the season? I think that Brad Treliving has done a good job, the D looks good, the goaltending we can't really say anything yet, the only issue I have is we need a very good top 6 forward(preferably a RW), if we can get that it would really help this team, as it will take some pressure off our top forwards. I also wonder if this team is tough enough, how will it handle the goons from the Oilers and the Ducks?
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #207
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Are with happy with the team as it is going into the season? I think that Brad Treliving has done a good job, the D looks good, the goaltending we can't really say anything yet, the only issue I have is we need a very good top 6 forward(preferably a RW), if we can get that it would really help this team, as it will take some pressure off our top forwards. I also wonder if this team is tough enough, how will it handle the goons from the Oilers and the Ducks?
I agree. The Flames forwards got pushed around against the Ducks throughout that series. I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed.
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #208
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did we lose a draft pick for signing stone prior to July 1? If so, couldn't they have waited a couple days if the guy really wanted to be here?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #209
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Yes, they gave up a pick to re-sign him. Didn't matter if it was before or after July 1.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #210
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Did we lose a draft pick for signing stone prior to July 1? If so, couldn't they have waited a couple days if the guy really wanted to be here?
the July 1 thing has been disproved already I believe. There was never a deadline, the condition was purely on him re-signing.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #211
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames have plenty of scoring potential on the roster. Their possession numbers and transition game are going to be better than last year - that should help.

I also expect more (than last year) from Gaudreau, Bennett, Ferland and possibly Tkachuk. That's 4 offensive forwards that should have better seasons than last year. Maybe Monahan too.

Foo is a wildcard.

Last year the D put up 176 points. I have a theory that I have been sort of tracking for the last 5 or 6 years or so, and that it that if your defense puts up more than 150 points, you're a playoff team. If not, you're not. And if the D puts up more like 200 points, you're an elite team offensively.

That 176 points last year was basically on the backs of the top 3 guys - and Brodie didn't even have a good year. I expect that, playing with Hamonic, Brodie will be better. And I expect more from the bottom 4 than we got last year.

tl/dr: more offence from the D

The Flames were 14th in goals allowed last year, and I expect they will move into the top 10 this year. They were 17th in goals scored. I expect improvement, but hard to say how much.

The important thing is goal differential. Last year they were 16th in goal differential at +5, despite a horrific start that had them last, or very nearly last, after the first month or so. I expect that they will move into the top 10 in goal differential this year. If the offence is significantly improved from last year, they will move into the top 5 or 6, and that basically means contender.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #212
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaFaFlamey View Post
I agree. The Flames forwards got pushed around against the Ducks throughout that series. I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed.

No, they didn't. I can agree that the Flames forwards struggled a bit on the boards with the puck, but they had it most of the time in that series. That is not "getting pushed around."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #213
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was thinking about the fact that the Flames are basically set on costs for the next 3 years, and I decided to look at the lineup of 3 years ago on NHL.com to get a reminder/perspective on how long 3 years actually is in the NHL.

This is the top 12 scorers up front for the Flames 3 years ago:
  1. Hudler (out of the league?)
  2. Gaudreau
  3. Monahan
  4. Bouma (buyout)
  5. Jones (out of the league)
  6. Glencross (out of the league)
  7. Colborne (life support)
  8. Backlund
  9. Jooris (life support)
  10. Raymond (out of the league)
  11. Byron
  12. Granlund

Bouma and Jones were in the top 6. FOUR of those guys are out of the league, and 3 more are on life support.

On top of that, Wideman (out of the league?) led the D in scoring.

It is actually quite amazing how fluid the league is with respect to turnover.

And the Flames are basically locked up for 3 years, with a decent stable of young prospects for possible injection.

Yes, Backlund is a question mark for next year, but unlike some, I don't foresee any problems - especially with Stajan's contract coming off the books.

If one of the goalie prospects can step up over the next couple years and take the reins, giving us cheap goaltending for a while, the Flames would be in unbelievable shape.

Treliving deserves the slow clap for what he has done with this team.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #214
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
(games / goals / assists / points / PPG / pace)

Prior to injury..: 36 / 8 / 9 / 17 / .472 / 39
After the injury: 38 / 5 / 3 / 8 / .210 / 17
Great summary, thanks!

The Brouwer bounce back will be interesting to watch.

Another anomaly last year was shots on goal. He's been a 1.80 shots per game player for his career but fell to only 1.15 this season.

Why? Linemates? Don't think so as he played third line in St. Louis.

Hand injury? Maybe a bit but even before the injury he was 1.3 shots per game and fell to 1.0 after, both down from history. So partly.

The big question to me is opportunity. Will he get one to bounce back or is he destined for fourth line minutes and away from the players that will afford him the chance to bounce back?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #215
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is some really dumb comments by Treliving:

Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #216
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post

I'm okay with that comment. Sounds like he's basically saying if Gazdic can turn himself into a guy that can actually play as well as intimidate, like Engelland, then he'll be given a shot. but if not he'll stick in the minors.

My take away at least
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #217
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

I think the last line says it all ...

That's his challenge.

I wouldn't get worked up about GM speak in July.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #218
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm okay with that comment. Sounds like he's basically saying if Gazdic can turn himself into a guy that can actually play as well as intimidate, like Engelland, then he'll be given a shot. but if not he'll stick in the minors.

My take away at least
Engelland was a utility player for a Stanley Cup contender.

Gadzic couldn't crack the lineup of the 3rd worst team in the league
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #219
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Engelland was a utility player for a Stanley Cup contender.

Gadzic couldn't crack the lineup of the 3rd worst team in the league
Right. And my understanding of what Treliving said is that if he doesn't improve he won't crack our lineup either
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #220
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
We better hope. After watching Smith of the last couple of years, that is all I think we have. I hope I'm eating crow on this and lauding Trelivimg for the astute pickup, but I just don't get a warm and fuzzy from either Smith or Lack and think this is another mistake. Time will tell. I hope you all get to rub my nose in how wrong my gut is on this, I really do.
This is a pretty fair assessment. I am a little disappointed that for the 3rd year in a row, we didn't pick up one of the younger goalies on the market. But wiling to give Smith a chance and I think there's a chance he excels. Lack is replacement level IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote