Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Flames sign Gillies and Yonkman to PTO's

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730840

Guess we still lack toughness lol. I am all for protecting our young guys and icing a very physical squad to protect the youth but.......

I enjoyed watching the movies Slapshot and Goon, are we gonna see 82 games this season with the same theme lol!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
hymarker
Draft Pick

Cool can't wait
hymarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That's disappointing. Didn't like when the heat signed Gillies, don't like this either. Just a dirty player who adds nothing. Hopefully he doesn't injure any of our players before he is cut.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Pliddy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Welcome to the Iron League, we are the Charleston Chiefs. The hair is making me seek!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It almost seems like the Flames strategy is to lure as many tough guys and fighters away from other teams so they our young guys aren't playing against them.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
ballin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

nvm

Last edited by ballin; 09-17-2014 at 10:22 PM.
ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Guess we still lack toughness lol. I am all for protecting our young guys and icing a very physical squad to protect the youth but.......
I assume they'll get cut, but I don't see the point to even signing them to PTOs. If these guys make the team, there won't be any roster spots available for young guys for them to protect.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Meh. I am netrual to this. If anything Gillies and Yonkman might get an AHL contract out of this. If so I imagine Gillies would dress a handful of games against some of the meaner AHL teams. They don't really have a tough guy for the farm team and going without one doesn't seem like it's Burke's style. Not a big Gillies fan but oh well. Yonkman would be a good fit in the AHL with a young, inexperienced and mobile D squad in Glen Falls.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I hear Yonkman, I can't help but think back on a thread posted on HFBoards a long time ago when someone proposed a Regehr for Yonkman trade straight up and everyone but Flames fans were saying giving up Yonkman was an overpayment. I remember even getting the "Do you even watch hockey?" comment from someone.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like Yonkman on the team just to hear his name being said on TV. I honestly can't say it without smiling or giggling. It's going to be a long year, take joy in the small things.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing to worry about. Just a couple of tough guys on tryout contracts. They have to play very good to make the team.

I think just having their veteran presence in camp should be a good motivational factor for the younger guys to really step it up and prove they belong. If they are good veterans then they'll help the young guys by giving them tips or just be being good examples. They are also rough and tough guys. Let their rough play help the young guys step up their game and also develop a tougher style of play.

If any of the young guys wither because there are veterans competing with them, or if there are rough guys who play them hard, then the young guys just don't belong in the NHL.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Yonkman is a beast of a man. I enjoyed his time in AZ
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys, PTOs mean they'll be playing in the AHL for a minimum of 25 games. That's what the PTO guarantees.

So if they did in fact sign actual PTOs (and aren't merely camp invites), Yonkman and Gillies would effectively members of Adirondack as of now. They will not make the Calgary Flames.

As to their abilities. Gillies is alright as a person. The reason he didn't play more last season is because Ftorek took one look at him and told him he's too fat and won't play a game until he loses some weight. So every day, while the players were on the ice practicing, Gillies ran the stairs in the arena. Sure enough, he lost a ton of weight and got in some games. When he did play, he didn't hurt the team. He was just... there. But Gillies has a reputation and I know for a fact there are people in this organization that saw ice open up for other players when he was on the ice.

Like I said in another thread, Yonkman has carved out a nice AHL career for himself and that didn't happen because he's a plug. Just because the guy is a monster and can punch faces doesn't mean he can't play. He's very serviceable as an AHL defender. If you look at Addy's defense, they're young, extremely inexperienced and, frankly, if the Penticton tournament is any indication, they're going to need some help in a 76 game season. Also, don't be surprised if Yonkman becomes the team captain. He's that kind of guy.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 09-18-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
When I hear Yonkman, I can't help but think back on a thread posted on HFBoards a long time ago when someone proposed a Regehr for Yonkman trade straight up and everyone but Flames fans were saying giving up Yonkman was an overpayment. I remember even getting the "Do you even watch hockey?" comment from someone.
I swear I was just flashing back to the same thread.

Those were the days the Caps fans were also head over heels in love with Brian Sutherby.

"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
Ulrith
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
The reason he didn't play more last season is because Ftorek took one look at him and told him he's too fat and won't play a game until he loses some weight. So every day, while the players were on the ice practicing, Gillies ran the stairs in the arena.
For real?
Ulrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #17
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Only if bigern or Bollig gets injured
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #18
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be AHL bound for protecting the young prospects that don't make the NHL roster. So it makes sense to want to protect their future investments.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #19
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
That's disappointing. Didn't like when the heat signed Gillies, don't like this either. Just a dirty player who adds nothing. Hopefully he doesn't injure any of our players before he is cut.
I agree, but having him on this team means he won't run Flames players. It's like paying protection money to keep him form targetting NHL or AHL players on this team. LOL
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote