Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default scientology under the scope again

opinion- criticism of Scientology

so, i didn't know much about Scientology and how it works. This is a long video about people who have been part of the organization, and their problems with this "religion".

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/The_.../ID=1601997771

some highlights:
-advising women to have abortions
-paying 20$ a week
- when leaving, declared as a bad influence, and all contact cut off from friends and family (probably one of the biggest)

this is a little amusing:

"The Arbitration Committee of the Wikipedia internet encyclopedia decided in May 2009 to restrict access to its site from Church of Scientology IP addresses, to prevent self-serving edits by Scientologists."
-Wikipedia

*opinion*
To me, this sounds like a destruction of civil liberties, and giving one's life to take others away from their lives. It does not appear to be constructive in any way. I can respect most religions and cultures, and the rhyme or reason to which they exist. However, when they are taken to an extreme...to which friends and family are essentially forced away...that's not right. This....i can't respect this.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Odd that they're advising women to get abortions. You'd think they would want to expand rather than contract.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Odd that they're advising women to get abortions. You'd think they would want to expand rather than contract.
well, they are advising abortions while they are making the 38c an hour or whatever in the "sea org", where individuals are recruited and essentially do quite a bit of labour and give their lives to work for the religion, doing various tasks. They don't have enough money to support children at that stage, and do not live ihn a stable home (atleast, in these particular situations), rather in institutions so to speak.

Last edited by krynski; 08-07-2011 at 02:17 PM.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
opinion- criticism of Scientology

so, i didn't know much about Scientology and how it works. This is a long video about people who have been part of the organization, and their problems with this "religion".

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/The_.../ID=1601997771

some highlights:
-advising women to have abortions
-paying 20$ a week
- when leaving, declared as a bad influence, and all contact cut off from friends and family (probably one of the biggest)

this is a little amusing:

"The Arbitration Committee of the Wikipedia internet encyclopedia decided in May 2009 to restrict access to its site from Church of Scientology IP addresses, to prevent self-serving edits by Scientologists."
-Wikipedia

*opinion*
To me, this sounds like a destruction of civil liberties, and giving one's life to take others away from their lives. It does not appear to be constructive in any way. I can respect most religions and cultures, and the rhyme or reason to which they exist. However, when they are taken to an extreme...to which friends and family are essentially forced away...that's not right. This....i can't respect this.
Meh. Every religion has elements of this. If people take the good stuff away from it, more power to em. They're just another variety a kooky in a supermarket full of it.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

as crazy as scientologists are, are they really any different from your mainstream religions?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was dating a girl in Vancouver, and one day downtown we were bored. She asked if I wanted to go to the Scientology Museum... I told her it was a church.

she s*** bricks.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
as crazy as scientologists are, are they really any different from your mainstream religions?
They're worse. Crazier than any religion one can think of, backed by an army of lawyers that puts the MPAA to shame.

And yeah, the Wikipedia thing is entertaining. The decision to block all Scientology IP's was part of an arbitration case on site that led to no less than 50 editors being banned from editing Scientology articles or being blocked entirely. It was pretty much unprecedented in the site's history.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
They're worse. Crazier than any religion one can think of, backed by an army of lawyers that puts the MPAA to shame.

And yeah, the Wikipedia thing is entertaining. The decision to block all Scientology IP's was part of an arbitration case on site that led to no less than 50 editors being banned from editing Scientology articles or being blocked entirely. It was pretty much unprecedented in the site's history.
are their beliefs in some aliens, a volcano, and "thetans" really so different than an omnipotent being in the sky, a man that can walk on water and rise from the dead, or one man building a boat that could house 2 of every single species on Earth? and lets not get into the craziness that is the Mormon religion

i'm not taking the scientologists side or anything, i think they're a fraudulent organization that preys on the weak minded. but then again i think that of any major church or religion
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

What's scientology's body count? They may be chock full of ######s and asshats, but you're allowed to do that as long as you don't kill anyone.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
What's scientology's body count? They may be chock full of ######s and asshats, but you're allowed to do that as long as you don't kill anyone.
Scientology is still in it's infancy. Perhaps after 2000+ years, it could have a high body count. Who knows!
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Killing people is the only unacceptable behaviour for you?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
that is just in the SeaOrg, that is where people are full time staff. If they have children they can't do their duties as well and it costs scientology more to pay for the upkeep of the children.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboy12 View Post
I was dating a girl in Vancouver, and one day downtown we were bored. She asked if I wanted to go to the Scientology Museum... I told her it was a church.

she s*** bricks.
And that's when you break up with her because you realize you're with someone who things that the word Scientology = Science.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
And that's when you break up with her because you realize you're with someone who things that the word Scientology = Science.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
are their beliefs in some aliens, a volcano, and "thetans" really so different than an omnipotent being in the sky, a man that can walk on water and rise from the dead, or one man building a boat that could house 2 of every single species on Earth? and lets not get into the craziness that is the Mormon religion

i'm not taking the scientologists side or anything, i think they're a fraudulent organization that preys on the weak minded. but then again i think that of any major church or religion
The problem is you have to pay to know this stuff in scientology. and we are not talking about the sunday collection plate, we are talking tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. And they lie to the people that join. The alien stuff doesn't come out untill you are well in with thousands of dollars. If you go to an org and ask they say that all the alien stuff is made up. But if you get deep enough in it is exactly what you read on the internet.by that time you spent time money and frustration.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Go to :

http://www.xenu-directory.net/mirror...etheydead.net/

You tell me?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

One more great site with loits of videos.

http://www.xenutv.com/blog/

I have never been in Scientology, it just interested me a few years back and I did a bunch of research into it just for fun. It is a BAD, BAD organization. As far as I can tell.

One more link for the win.

http://www.xenu.net/

Do your own look into this don't take my word for it.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Something tells me they have a long way to go before theyre in the same conversation as the Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, sikhs, even the Buddhists.

Are there some deplorable practices involved with Scientology? It seems that way. But how many kids killed themselves because they were gay and the church told them they were abominations?

If we're allowing one of these kooky belief structures, we have to allow for them all, especially with the lack of evidence of actual illegal activity. I mean, the catholic church had literally thousands of abuse cases on its hands, nothing much seemed to get done about it for a long time.

The whole thing isn't for me, and while there are obviously a fair share of bad apples, I'm sure the majority just do it because it makes them happy. So let them.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Killing people is the only unacceptable behaviour for you?
Killing people, raping people, touching children, beating people up. Other than that, there isn't much, constitutionally speaking, I'm against. If they wanted to shoot up with crystal meth in the street to try and fight demons, I'd be fine with it as long as there was no collateral damage.