Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2024, 03:41 PM   #3441
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because it would be silly to start a "Tell me about Sundre" thread...Im gonna post here.

I need to basically kill a day in the Sundre area on Saturday. It's an area I haven't spent much time in (besides driving by it), so I'm wondering if anyone has any noteworthy suggestions to do around there or within an hour radius. Cool nature or off-roading trails, photography spots, western culture, the world's best donut...whatever. Just trying to avoid loitering in my car all day, or having to drive to Red Deer.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:51 PM   #3442
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My inlaws live on an acreage 10 minutes outside of Sundre. In the 25 years I've been going there, I have yet to find one single thing that is fun, interesting or entertaining. The restaurants are also awful. I had the worst steak of my life at a restaurant there.

I dirtbiked in my 20s and that was somewhat fun around there. I've also had various 4x4s and it can be fun to go down random roads, but not better than MacLean, which is way closer. Sundre blows so hard, dude.

If anybody comes up with something fun I'll be all ears. Would love to be able to entertain myself with something when we're out there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM   #3443
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's not a good start. I was hoping there would be a treasure trove of options.

I do have a 4x4 though. Any particular trails you went on?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:22 PM   #3444
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Well that's not a good start. I was hoping there would be a treasure trove of options.

I do have a 4x4 though. Any particular trails you went on?
I wouldn't be able to direct you to any, unfortunately. My brother-in-law is my navigator out there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 05:02 PM   #3445
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is the old Burger Baron still open? I haven’t been to that place in 20 years.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:08 PM   #3446
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My inlaws live on an acreage 10 minutes outside of Sundre. In the 25 years I've been going there, I have yet to find one single thing that is fun, interesting or entertaining. The restaurants are also awful. I had the worst steak of my life at a restaurant there.

I dirtbiked in my 20s and that was somewhat fun around there. I've also had various 4x4s and it can be fun to go down random roads, but not better than MacLean, which is way closer. Sundre blows so hard, dude.

If anybody comes up with something fun I'll be all ears. Would love to be able to entertain myself with something when we're out there.
I've been to that big gas station a few times. The store is huge, has all sorts of things that would have been unreal when I was a kid. Like fireworks, bottle rockets, little banger things, cool bongs. I always wish I had at least half an hour in there. Always bring home kids cool things.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:27 PM   #3447
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Because it would be silly to start a "Tell me about Sundre" thread...Im gonna post here.

I need to basically kill a day in the Sundre area on Saturday. It's an area I haven't spent much time in (besides driving by it), so I'm wondering if anyone has any noteworthy suggestions to do around there or within an hour radius. Cool nature or off-roading trails, photography spots, western culture, the world's best donut...whatever. Just trying to avoid loitering in my car all day, or having to drive to Red Deer.

On a typical January/February I'd suggest taking the cross country (classic or backcountry) skiis, or the fatbike. But after the meltathon maybe just take your ice skates.

If you're outa stuff to do hop into your sleeping bag in the car, pop in the headphones for some tunes/podcast, and make it a mega chill day.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:42 PM   #3448
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Ha, that is a phrase my mom would say all the time.

She never ever threw anything away, I'm sure that's cuz we were poor AF, but I can remember her cutting mold off cheese and chucking only the moldy pieces of bread away.
Sounds like your Mom might have been selling penicillin and LSD on the side.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:45 PM   #3449
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It wouldn't be terribly shocking to us if your in-laws have some pretty entertaining stories about you. Maybe Table 5 could drop in on them?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:28 PM   #3450
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I've been to that big gas station a few times. The store is huge, has all sorts of things that would have been unreal when I was a kid. Like fireworks, bottle rockets, little banger things, cool bongs. I always wish I had at least half an hour in there. Always bring home kids cool things.
Is this the James River gas station you’re talking about? We have friends with some land out around there and it’s fine for camping and that kind of thing but I don’t know of specific things to do. I’ve gone fishing west of there, but that’s about it as far as my knowledge of the area.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:52 PM   #3451
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Sounds like your Mom might have been selling penicillin and LSD on the side.
I wish, maybe then I wouldn’t have had to wear my sisters hand me down jeans

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:13 PM   #3452
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

My vet is in Sundre, and it has to be the most nothing to do town in Alberta, especially this time of year. Ya Ha Tinda is about an hour's west, but I don't know what's accessible this time of year.

If nothing pans out, it's only 15 mins to Olds. You'd at least have some options for lunch or coffee.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 11:40 PM   #3453
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My in laws have a lot of land just south of sundre and it's probably one of my favourite places to be

The town itself though? I have no idea
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:24 PM   #3454
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Salt activates the potato
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:30 PM   #3455
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
My vet is in Sundre, and it has to be the most nothing to do town in Alberta, especially this time of year. Ya Ha Tinda is about an hour's west, but I don't know what's accessible this time of year.

If nothing pans out, it's only 15 mins to Olds. You'd at least have some options for lunch or coffee.
Grouchy Daddys
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:07 AM   #3456
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya Ha Tinda is usually accessible all year around. It's plowed, because of the ranch out past the campground. A lot of people head out and climb the ice on the falls.

So, you could do that. There's not much to do around Sundre.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:06 PM   #3457
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anybody remember Christmas edition Coke cans from the 90s where when you aligned two cans the right way it looked like Santa snorting a line? I don’t know if this is a false memory, but I remember this and trying to search for that only brings up the historical associations with Coke and cocaine.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:03 PM   #3458
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always interesting ( not surprising ) how the posters with the worst more over reactive takes about the Flames, in turn just have awful hot headed takes in the off topic thread.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:08 PM   #3459
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It's always interesting ( not surprising ) how the posters with the worst more over reactive takes about the Flames, in turn just have awful hot headed takes in the off topic thread.

Some people have a very negative energy. It carries through in a lot of their interactions. They just seem angry.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:09 PM   #3460
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Some people have a very negative energy. It carries through in a lot of their interactions. They just seem angry.
Or just unhinged. The kind of people who honk in traffic jams.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote