Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 07:36 PM   #2001
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think the reason to keep Mangiapane is to hope he improves his trade value, which is basically zero right now.

At the deadline, it could hardly be worse.
100%. I just don’t see a path to non bottom feeder with the current roster
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:17 PM   #2002
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
100%. I just don’t see a path to non bottom feeder with the current roster
What does that have to do with improving his trade value?
calgarybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:27 PM   #2003
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think the reason to keep Mangiapane is to hope he improves his trade value, which is basically zero right now.

At the deadline, it could hardly be worse.
Opening a spot on the backlund line for pelts or another prospect is more valuable than hoping for. 2nd instead of a 3rd
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mindtravellee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 08:30 PM   #2004
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I'm out of my mind but I don't see the "bottom feeder" team others are seeing.

The Flames have a decent enough roster minus the star power. Especially if they sign another top 4 Dman in free agency and/or another top 6 center. I don't know if they'll even try to do that or not, but if they did they certainly don't look like a bottom feeder to me.

They also have a lot of young players who may improve and a goalie that could be a difference maker in Wolf. I stress that he could be, it might take time.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 08:38 PM   #2005
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Maybe I'm out of my mind but I don't see the "bottom feeder" team others are seeing.

The Flames have a decent enough roster minus the star power. Especially if they sign another top 4 Dman in free agency and/or another top 6 center. I don't know if they'll even try to do that or not, but if they did they certainly don't look like a bottom feeder to me.

They also have a lot of young players who may improve and a goalie that could be a difference maker in Wolf. I stress that he could be, it might take time.
I think we won like 4 games after the deadline.

We also kind of have to be a bottom feeder next season to protect our draft pick.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:40 PM   #2006
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

To me next year completely hinges on who is staying or going.

Sharangovich and kuzmenko ( huby isnt going anywhere) are a top line in the making but not without a center and both are ufa. Top line talent gone without them.

Eat bread and marky almost certainly gone.

Anderson may want out.
Backs may want out we already dont have any centers have.
Kadri seemed pretty happy this year but who knows?

I would be surprised if we weren’t bottom ten. However signing or trading for a top six Center would make this team look a lot different and who knows what conroy has ip his sleeve?
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:51 PM   #2007
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw this one proposed by a leaf fan on a Reddit chat. If Toronto looked to trade Marner this summer and Dallas loses to Vegas again this year…

To Dallas:
Mitch Marner

To Toronto:
Jamie Benn

Who says no?

Cap hits are similar ($9.5 million for Benn and $10.9 million for Marner). Toronto gets more grit in a top six winger as well as leadership. One that doesn’t disappear in the playoffs. Seems like someone Treliving would covet. Toronto also gets a little cap relief. Dallas gets a younger, higher-scoring forward and more speed. They could hope he thrives in Dallas - lots of players do.

My first thought is that Dallas says no… they don’t need this move really. Only one year left on Benn’s contract. He’s their captain and usually looks good in the playoffs. I could see him signing a retirement contract at a reasonable cap hit with Dallas after next season. However, ownership has expressed frustration with him in the past. Also, in the series against Vegas last year (and in previous playoffs), Benn has taken bad penalties during crucial times that cost the Stars dearly. If something like that happens again in these playoffs I could see their patience running out and considering a move like this. Marner with Robertson could be a sweet combination for them.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:01 PM   #2008
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Star power is everything in the NHL. You can't have a good team minus the star power. That's called a non playoff team, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 10:03 PM   #2009
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Saw this one proposed by a leaf fan on a Reddit chat. If Toronto looked to trade Marner this summer and Dallas loses to Vegas again this year…

To Dallas:
Mitch Marner

To Toronto:
Jamie Benn

Who says no?

Cap hits are similar ($9.5 million for Benn and $10.9 million for Marner). Toronto gets more grit in a top six winger as well as leadership. One that doesn’t disappear in the playoffs. Seems like someone Treliving would covet. Toronto also gets a little cap relief. Dallas gets a younger, higher-scoring forward and more speed. They could hope he thrives in Dallas - lots of players do.

My first thought is that Dallas says no… they don’t need this move really. Only one year left on Benn’s contract. He’s their captain and usually looks good in the playoffs. I could see him signing a retirement contract at a reasonable cap hit with Dallas after next season. However, ownership has expressed frustration with him in the past. Also, in the series against Vegas last year (and in previous playoffs), Benn has taken bad penalties during crucial times that cost the Stars dearly. If something like that happens again in these playoffs I could see their patience running out and considering a move like this. Marner with Robertson could be a sweet combination for them.
Toronto says no, they dont need an aging overpaid forward.
Toronto lacks both solid young D and a true #1 goalie.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 10:10 PM   #2010
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtravellee View Post
Opening a spot on the backlund line for pelts or another prospect is more valuable than hoping for. 2nd instead of a 3rd
It’s more likely a 2nd vs. Zero trade value. His cap hit vs. Production make him hard to move during the summer.

Last edited by The Cobra; 04-30-2024 at 06:04 AM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:12 PM   #2011
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I love what Trotz was quoted as saying during the Nashville game: You aren't signing here to retire. Awesome. Wish we'd declare that too.
sure but it's not like they have done much winning
Old 04-29-2024, 10:40 PM   #2012
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Markstrom (50% Retained)
Mangiapane
Kuznetsov (or other D prospect)

for

Marner
Robertson
3rd
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:58 PM   #2013
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize how badly fans and media are turning on Marner. I don't pay that much attention to the Leafs. I casually watch once in a while, but I never really noticed Marner is a bad way.

Jay Rosehill just gives it to him.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:59 PM   #2014
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Flames will have a worse roster going into next season and they just finished bottom eight. The defense is bottom 5 in the league. They have two top four dmen and then a whole bunch of question marks on defense.

The forward group is probably bottom ten in the league as well. No difference makers and a bunch of good depth. Any players they can sign will not make much of a difference.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:13 PM   #2015
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

It really matters what they do with the d-core and in net.

If they trade Markstrom and don't bring in any legit top 4 D, they're going to be bottom 10 forsure, potentially bottom 5.

Every team has a few good vets. Anaheim bottomed out with Getzlaf, Lindholm, Fowler, Henrique, Gibson (used to be good) and Rakell for example.

Not having star power in your prime and a full roster constructed well will put you in the bottom.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:23 AM   #2016
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Star power is everything in the NHL. You can't have a good team minus the star power. That's called a non playoff team, lol.
I agree but I didn't say they were a contender I said I don't see a bottom feeder team. They aren't San Jose, Chicago or Anaheim bad. They are closer to middle of the pack IMO
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:08 AM   #2017
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Markstrom (50% Retained)
Mangiapane
Kuznetsov (or other D prospect)

for

Marner
Robertson
3rd
Toronto will want to move Marner, if they do, for draft picks and/or cheap young players.

They then have the assets and cap space to improve their team.

And Calgary gets one year of Marner for what long term purpose?

Gives both teams what they don’t want.

Plus Marner likely would not waive for Calgary.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:12 AM   #2018
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree but I didn't say they were a contender I said I don't see a bottom feeder team. They aren't San Jose, Chicago or Anaheim bad. They are closer to middle of the pack IMO
They may be worse than Chicago next year if a Marky is traded and Chicago uses its cap space for some decent players.

I agree Calgary not likely as bad as those teams were last year, but they ended up in the next tier, even with a good start. It depends on what bottom feeder means. Bottom 3, likely no even with a Marky trade. But bottom, say, 6? Probably. Unless Wolf improves a lot over his performance last year.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:16 AM   #2019
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They may be worse than Chicago next year if a Marky is traded and Chicago uses its cap space for some decent players.

I agree Calgary not likely as bad as those teams were last year, but they ended up in the next tier, even with a good start. It depends on what bottom feeder means. Bottom 3, likely no even with a Marky trade. But bottom, say, 6? Probably. Unless Wolf improves a lot over his performance last year.
A good start?

They started 2-7-1

That's the other thing, they won't need time to adjust to a new coach next season. They should all be on the same page when it comes to systems and what's expected.

Goaltending will be a huge factor, if Wolf gives .900+ goaltending this team is middle of the pack IMO
Old 04-30-2024, 06:25 AM   #2020
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They actually were San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim bad after the trade deadline so I don't know about middle of the pack as they were middle of the pack prior to trading two of their best defensemen. I just don't see how they can replace the quality of Hanifin and Tanev in the offseason and if Markstrom gets traded then the goaltending situation could be pretty shaky as while I believe in Wolf, I think it may take him a full season to acclimate to NHL shooters. I don't see them being bottom 3 bad but they will most likely be drafting close to top 5 and that's right where they want to be given the conditions of the Monahan trade.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good